Sign in to follow this  
PerWel

Need New weather?

Tried the demo. Once I got the config right the "real weather" arrived in full force. I am quite impressed I must say. I found a place with really bad weather and there it was:

opusweather01.jpg

opusweather02.jpg

opusweather05.jpg

As I used a 10 minutes "Demo" mode version I could not be bothered to start up a complete NGX flight, so please pardon the default F-18.

I tried the NGX while sitting on the ground in various locations and in all cases the OAT, the barometer and the winds were represented exactly as the RL recent METAR report.

What sunned me the most is... well, you can see on the screenshots. The CB was maybe the best pictured CB I've ever seen in FSX, with the correctly represented tops of up to 40000 feet (seriously bad weather ;). The overcast was in fact overcast without gaping holes in the weather system. The visibility changes were smooth. The winds in altitude were changing smooth as well. The only small glitch I noticed was the rain up to 4000-5000 feet above the cloud layer, perhaps triggered by the nearby CB (something that can be fixed I guess). The textures in those screenshots are from the AS2012. I am sure once I inject the REXE textures the picture will be even more amazing. Overall - very good weather engine - the most valuable about it - the presentation.

A bit of frustration meanwhile - for 24 hours I'm trying to download the Flight 1 wrapper file but the download gets stuck at 99.9%. I guess one of those weekends ;)

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Hi Guys, I bought it yesterday morning after have spent almost all friday afternoon/evening/night ( my wife is not very happy) to read treads and try the demo and compare the three.... I'm impressed a lot by Opus.

I think there is more to discover than I have done. I've read that there is a camera file for NGX from download page but I don't find it (?). Last, I flew from EBCI to EPKK at FL350 I took some unexpected wind jumps ( tail gusts ? ) that cause overspeed two - three time ( 2/3 seconds long ) what about smooth winds transition ?

Overall that's fantastic... it is real !!! congratulations!

Best Regards,

Francesco

Rome, ITALY

Francesco Gatta
Managing Director / Media

Royaldutchvirtual.com

Hello Francesco,

as far as the example cam file is concerned, you will find it after installation in your C: | OpusFSX folder. It is called "FSXSERVER_B737".

If you already have a existing file called FSXSERVER (type=CAM File) and you still have no cams created yourself then replace this one by the FSXSERVER_B737 file, removing "_B737" (underscoreB737).

Assign the cameras to any JS-button or KB key as you wish and your done.

If you run P3D like me than you have to do this with the file called P3DSERVER (Type=CAM File).

(remove "_B737" AND ALSO change "FSX" in "P3D", so the file will look like "P3DSERVER".

salu2

Fdovillamil

Joop / GCLP

Guest BeaverDriver

Re screen comparisons for the different weather add-ons, I'm not sure what you'd be looking for here. Opus doesn't have separate/different textures. It just gives you the weather. If you got identical METAR's from the same place through different wx add-on's, the pics should look identical for each. The only difference from what I can ascertain, is that Opus may give you a solid overcast whereas other programs seem to give you about 7/8ths at best. Now THAT comparison would be worth something and is my primary interest in Opus, but otherwise, if you're using AS2012 textures for instance, the weather screenies from using AS2012, REX or Opus weather engines are all going to look about the same. If you don't get the same images, then chances are the METAR's were not identical, but that may not be a failing of any of the programs. I think there is a bit too much emphasis (almost to the point of obsession) on having deadly accurate METAR's 90+% of the time. I was sitting at work (at an airport) two days ago when the METAR was reporting clear skies. The METAR was a half hour old, and the skies at that time were, in fact, broken to overcast. The programs can only be as good as the sources, and METAR's are only issued every hour unless there is significant weather happening in the area. "Garbage in, Garbage out" as they say. If I had loaded FSX and AS or Opus for that time of the day, I would have had clear skies from both theoretically, but they both would have been wrong. However, there is no chance either could have been right because the source was old. That's the way it goes - both IRL and (ironically) in the sim. METAR's are a nice guide. But don't treat them as gospel, anymore than you'd treat the POH numbers for takeoff or landing distances as gospel. There are just too many variables! The key points between packages would be how up to date are their servers, but I've never found AS to be an issue that way, and I suspect Opus is equally good if not better. I must qualify that by saying though, I generally don't fly in real time. My flights tend to happen mostly in the past, so for me getting day or hours old METAR's is of more importance than the current ones.

My flights tend to happen mostly in the past, so for me getting day or hours old METAR's is of more importance than the current ones.

Hello

Exactly why I use AS2012, Good as OPUS seems to be, until they have historical weather I could not use it.

My experiece with AS2012 was nothing like OPUS. I continue to use OPUS with AS2012 textures. I alwasy had clouds with AS2012 with rigid borders like it was giving me weather by sectors. I never liked it and rarley had reported weather at destinations with AS2012.

Guest BeaverDriver

Brad, do you mean those large, "square" clouds with the holes on one side? I wondered what was causing those, and have seen them a number of times. I've been meaning to report it to HiFi but haven't got around to it yet, but I also wasn't sure they were from AS.

As for not getting reported weather, do you have your dynamic update slider set to other than "0", and/or are you at an area that's getting an interpolated result? Mine does miss from time to time even with the slider at 0 but that's usually from a wx interpolation, which is going to be different to anything reported anyway (this happens when there is no reporting station at the destination). Once Opus gets historical METAR's that I can plug in easily, I'll likely be switching full time.

I would see clouds below me but they would terminate with a hard line. Solid clouds to the line and then clear skys. Very unnatural.

At this point since I like Opus so much, not real willing to debug active sky. What I want is real weather. Not real interetsed in historical weather. I do miss their winds aloft reporting but not enough for me to leave Opus.

Hello Francesco,

as far as the example cam file is concerned, you will find it after installation in your C: | OpusFSX folder. It is called "FSXSERVER_B737".

If you already have a existing file called FSXSERVER (type=CAM File) and you still have no cams created yourself then replace this one by the FSXSERVER_B737 file, removing "_B737" (underscoreB737).

Assign the cameras to any JS-button or KB key as you wish and your done.

If you run P3D like me than you have to do this with the file called P3DSERVER (Type=CAM File).

(remove "_B737" AND ALSO change "FSX" in "P3D", so the file will look like "P3DSERVER".

salu2

Fdovillamil

Joop / GCLP

Thankyou for your support !

Regards,

Francesco

Francesco Gatta
Managing Director / Media

Royaldutchvirtual.com

What I want is real weather. Not real interetsed in historical weather.

Hello

The problem that I have is that I tend to use FSX in the evenings after work but like to fly in daylight.

Under those circumstances OPUS would not be able to supply real weather, but would be applying unrealistic night time metars to my daytime flight.

How do you get round this limitation Brad, it seems that you really need to use OPUS in realtime or the weather will be unrealistic as far as temps ect are concerned.

Under those circumstances OPUS would not be able to supply real weather, but would be applying unrealistic night time metars to my daytime flight.

Hello Mad Dog,

Opus is always giving the METAR at the Zulu time.

That means the real weather at the real time.

Now if you wish to fly that weather in daytime, that is up to you.

So actually it seems to be the other way around imho: you are flying the real weather in "unrealistic daytime".

salu2

Joop /GCLP

Hi

Still getting used to Opus but it's my new weather engine for sure. Best weather I've ever had in fs.

I do have a question/idea though.

Is it possible to search a specific metar while flying? Being able to do this would be very helpful.

Also is there a way we can search for specific kinds of weather through OPUS? Like in REX and AS if I want to fly in fog or snow I can search which airports have that kind of weather. It would be a nice addition for OPUS.

Once again great product I recommend it. Maybe I'll switch from EZDok sometime too, but now I'm happy.

Lee

OP Thank you for this post. I have been going absolutely insane with active sky 2012 because it kills my frames Rex is even worse now I have Rex textures and Opus.. Great Frame rates and real world weather! Can not believe how fast it's running, dusk to night flight nonetheless.

Are you able to load a flight plan into Opus like you can with Active Sky? So you can see the forecast for the entire route?