Sign in to follow this  
davidmi58

Have any of you tried this? (SweetFX)

Luckily I backed up the d3d9 file before I added SweetFX, after removing SweetFX from the FSX folder, I re-entered the original d3d9 file so I'm sure thats what was causing the issue. I'll try it out later and use the d3d9 file thats there instead of replacing it with the one in SweetFX.

Nah, you must use the sfx dll since it's modified. Did you try the compatibility?

Is anyone else unable to get SweetFX to work in Full Screen Mode? When I go back to windowed mode, I can see the changes (for instance, the Split Screen), but as soon as I go back to full screen... it's all gone (including the split screen).

I only ever fly FS9/FSX in Full Screen mode, so any ideas anyone, please? 

Thanks.

Is anyone else unable to get SweetFX to work in Full Screen Mode? When I go back to windowed mode, I can see the changes (for instance, the Split Screen), but as soon as I go back to full screen... it's all gone (including the split screen).

I only ever fly FS9/FSX in Full Screen mode, so any ideas anyone, please? 

Thanks.

Yes - it works - however - do you have multiple monitors connected?  If so,  just do a test and have only ONE connection and try it again.  I run with a large 42" screen and will not go back to triple monitors.  

Does SweetFX work with 3 monitors (Eyefinity) or not? I cant seem to find definitive information! :)

IT DOES work with my 3 monitors. I just had to untick AA in the FSX settings. :) Excellent! The vibrant look is really refreshing! Did FSX look "modern" in 2006? Because of the systems/type of screens back then? *H'Hmmm*

I do use two monitors.

Tried things with only one monitor, so everything on my main 28" monitor now. Started FS9 with SweetFX settings configured to show split screen (easy to see when that is working or not). FS starts in windowed mode and the split screen is there. In Full Screen, it has gone, just like when I had two monitors running.

Got it to work finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out SFX would work great if I ran FSX on my 2nd monitor but no matter what I tried, would not work on my main monitor.

After much hair pulling, disconnecting cables, swapping video card outputs, disable hardware, remove hardware from OS, rebuilding fsx.cfg files and swapping monitors; the solution was stupid simple.

Uncheck AA within FSX!!!!!!!!

That's all it was. Spent at least 6 hours figuring this out, hope it might help others.

Hmm...finding a good setting is proving hard. You can get nice, clear colors but then the sky/clouds get unrealistic and goofy.

Hmm...finding a good setting is proving hard. You can get nice, clear colors but then the sky/clouds get unrealistic and goofy.

Maybe it's because they are in 1024, will leave another image with a cloud more closely, size also gave more

40814415.jpg

Yes, you are right! Disabling AA in FS lets SweetFX work in full screen!

The downside is that I have always found, even with AA set in nVidia Inspector, if I don't have it set in FS too, I still get slightly jagged edges to aircraft and so on. Not a trade-off I can make, sadly...

Maybe I need to revise my nVidia Inspector settings (which are as recommended on simforums)??

Guys, I was told that there's a cloud texture in REX called "Touch of Smog" which was made with SFX in mind. Here's few shots with it and the settings from sig:

8733589589_534f27d536_b.jpg

Yes, you are right! Disabling AA in FS lets SweetFX work in full screen!

The downside is that I have always found, even with AA set in nVidia Inspector, if I don't have it set in FS too, I still get slightly jagged edges to aircraft and so on. Not a trade-off I can make, sadly...

Maybe I need to revise my nVidia Inspector settings (which are as recommended on simforums)??

​Hold your horses. :)

Yes, in DX9, for SFX to work you must DISABLE AA in FSX or it won't work.

To get that AA back on track, you need to apply via Inspector some AA.

First make sure AA behavior flag is set to NONE.

Then, start off with choosing this mode for AA: 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] also add: 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling.

That should fix AA for you. All of my shots are done like this and as you can see, no jaggies. :)

See:

8734706802_9e9d272419_b.jpg

This is for FS9, not FSX, but same applies - disabling AA in FS allowed SweetFX to work. I will, try your suggestions and post back.

So far though, the only difference I can see with SweetFX working is that things are brighter. I don't necessarily want that - and I haven't found out which parameter in the settings file controls the brightness of the image.

Also, to be honest, to my eye, after years of tweaking my nVidia settings via the nVidia Control Panel and nVidia Inspector, I have yet to be convinced that I really need SweetFX at all.. I already have nice sharp, deep-coloured, well-contrasted images on my monitor.

But the enthusiasm in these threads is infectious. Maybe there are other gains I haven't really found out about yet?

For me, if I don't use sfx, the simulator looks extremely plain, flat and "dead". However, people have different screens and different brightness/contrast settings so the impression differentiates quite a lot from one user to another. I think that, whoever don't use sfx is missing out a lot. I mean, look at the devs in the fsx scene... they all present you their products with sfx. It's a common thing like how everyone uses rex these days.

Thanks for the information 'adi518' - I applied your nVidia Inspector settings (I had exactly the same already, but no 'Supersampling' set) and then switched off AA in FS9. Now I have SweetFX working in windowed and full screen modes and nice crisp lines with no jagged edges in the sim. Much appreciated!

I still can't see which 'tweak' in SFX is making the screen lighter though. Can someone please tell me? I want to darken things a little, but which setting do I change?

Martin