Sign in to follow this  

A FSX Confession

I was recently busted by my wife for making too many payware purchases. Between RealAir and Carenado, I spent over $100.00 in six weeks. I got out of control. Too much good stuff out there to enhance the hobby. Is FSX dead? Hardly. I really think the add-on developers have done a great job keeping the hobby fresh, and I am especially glad to see development of general aviation aircraft. I lucked out--the same month I went on a payware buying rampage, I started a new job with much better compensation. So my wife has let me out on probation.

When I was a young boy, I thought about being married someday. Never did I think that I would quake in my boots when my spouse looked over the Visa bill. Wives are scary when it comes to money and flight simulation!

John

Flowers, dinners out, extra chores around the house, watching her favourite TV shows with her (even though you could care less), occasional bottle of good wine, and asking and listening to her about her concerns and issues other stuff like that...these are but a few of the ways to deal with this issue that have worked for me.

So you see $100 in payware is only part of the "real" cost.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

It gets much worse than that my friend let me assure you lol

$100 over 6 weeks shows great restraint.

It's easy to spend that on airports in 1 weekend when aerosoft or FSDT has a sale.

I spent 100$ / hour last Saturday ! My wife had to call the cops to take my out from the computer room !!! That was scary and a moment of great panic.... I can confess, FsX is not dead.... It's all around you....

too much, too soon....

Hi John!

I once splurged on an assortment of addons for FSX,ORBX,ROF,DCS,which went up to $600!

This was over one weekend!! :crazy:

My missus even encouraged my purchases(" If it makes you happy dear"),even though she has no interest in flight simming.

She spends it all on her Orchids,and Oil paintings! :P

Depends on the spouse,I guess! :lol:

Regards.

I've recently felt the lash myself after the Eye of Sauron reviewed the credit card statement. My fault entirely...I saw REX and Orbx...then I saw a some comparison screenshots with GEX/no GEX, with UTX/no UTX...Air Hauler...a you-tube flic of the Lockheed Model 12...it's ok I'm reformed <nods>

:lol:

Kind regards,

Dave

Its funny because i just posted the same topic a few hours ago, I guess we are in the same boat john.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/391082-scared-to-look/#entry2518918

Glad to know im not alone.

Oh and sign up for eStatements that way the wife can't see. :lol:

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

:lol:

Other half is on statutory maternity pay at the moment (about 1/10th of her normal salary) so I've had to reign it in big time. I've been going on a massive freeware airport rampage/round the world tour instead :P

Flowers, dinners out, extra chores around the house, watching her favourite TV shows with her (even though you could care less), occasional bottle of good wine, and asking and listening to her about her concerns and issues other stuff like that...these are but a few of the ways to deal with this issue that have worked for me.

So you see $100 in payware is only part of the "real" cost.

:) Perfect advice, works like a charm for me as well. I even got some interest from my wife about how this "airplane stuff" works, she sat through a preflight prep and followed an online session until I climbed through transition before she lost interest and returned to her TV-show ;)

23.png

I guess there's justification for having a wife who's a spendaholic, that way she'd have no room for complaint :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I guess there's justification for having a wife who's a spendaholic, that way she'd have no room for complaint :wink:

Hm, wife has my black card and I never check the statement before paying, maybe that is why she is so understanding... I thought it was because I was a good listener :);)

23.png

Did you know most marriages fail because of arguments about money? Do yourself a favor and install a circuit breaker!

Set up a joint account. Calculate all your living expenses & how much you agree to save and split the total pro rata according to how much each of you earn. This amount is then automatically transferred each pay. If there is anything left over, it's yours. No more arguments about money. The wife doesn't care if I spend money on flight sim and I don't get upset if she buys a new pair of shoes. It's my money, or it's hers, because everything else has already been covered.

There is no excuse not to do this!

Cheers,

Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Set up a joint account. Calculate all your living expenses & how much you agree to save and split the total pro rata...

Yep - joint accounts keep the peace - most of the time. :wacko:

However it does become a problem if your end of month total get a little below what she expected it to be....I get online statements also, but I do hear the occasional 'I haven't seen a bank statement for a while - are they still issuing them'. Sorry dear, I'll check.

My worry is that she is becoming more 'computer literate' day by day...she may check herself one day.

It then becomes time to grovel. You want a new perm dear ? that's ok - by the way FS Labs are bringing out a really superb airliner - everybody I know is drooling over how it looks - do you mind..... :wub:

It works most of the time. If it doesn't, then the 'pressure' is exerted for next month...eventually, after more bribery, I succeed. Now I'm saving all my grovelling for FS Labs...come on guys, help me out here. Throw me a titbit on 'when'...

Regards

Bill

I've got my own cc account, so has my wife - as well as a joint account. It works very well. We both know what we can spend on 'extras' - she gets stuff for her hobby the garden, and I buy planes.

Dave

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE