Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

I'm glad I've never bought one of their products. It's a shame because their products do look half decent on and what the consumers want.

Gavin Price

CS is kind of like Carenado in some ways. Pretty visuals, but with hit and miss FDEs, questionable system depth, and incomplete issues that never get resolved. At least you can get Carenado stuff through the F1 wrapper, which means you can return it lol.

Cheers

TJ

Hi all,

Mmmmm great thread, and quite interesting reading.

I guess I was lucky as I had discovered PMDG whilst using FS9 so when I upgraded to FSX, I just bought their addons and no others, brilliant! Although I have moved on to A2A, QW and Carenado, though only three, so not afflicted with the Carenado bug mentioned earlier here. One of the things I noticed reading this thread is that what one person likes, another regret's having bought, so it's all subjective really. I recently bought the Flight1 BN2 Islander half price in the Just flight sale, brilliant and a cracking little plane, reading here tonight, someone else said they bought their's at the same time but didn't think it would get much use, not their kind of flying!

So keeping to the thread, what do I regret purchasing, well not much really:-

Carenado C208 everyone raved on about, I did my homework ensuring it would work in FSX with SP2, but then found the door manager wouldn't work and after asking Carenado for a fix got told they weren't interested it was my FSX at fault. Found the free fix here on Avsim from Jim Hodkinson, who has done a sterling job supplying everyone with a new door manager, and still is doing! I don't regret buying the aircraft just the fact there wasn't any forthcoming help when it was needed, which leaves you feeling let down!

Cera-Sim Bell 222, thought i'd try a good detailed helicopter, same thing happened, did my homework, and again the door manager wouldn't work, Jim again came to my rescue!

Just Flight L1011, So I wanted a really nice Tristar, I bought it on day one, which as a rule I don;t normally do, it's a little lite on systems for me, but I though would be worth flying. Problem is it has bugs which were still waiting for an update on, so that's a bit disappointing.

So the above planes although disappointed with the backup provided, I have to say there is nothing wrong with them really and they still reside in my hanger and get pulled out for a flight every now and again, in fact the only planes I have ever deleted from FSX are freeware ones!! 

So the only other thing to have been deleted from FSX is this.

FEX, nothing wrong with this one at all, but not long after, maybe 6 to 9 months I discovered REX. REX have consistently provided updates, from REX essentials, to Essentials plus, to Rex Essentials plus overdrive, all free, that's what I call looking after your customers!

That's about it really, FSX works great for me and is reliable, doesn't crash and has provided way to many hours of trouble free simming. Providing me with that longed for escape from reality we all crave for, lol. 

Happy flying,

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Anything ABACUS...Anything Captain Sim, and the Airbus 350.

Stan

Anything Captain Sim

I have quite enjoyed their C-130 and B-52 (note to all: wait for the Christmas sale).

I Must have had a brain fart one week... I went out and bought the following very regretfull add ons..

Just Flight DC6B

Just Flight 800XP BizJet

Just Flight 800XP BizJet Livery Pack

Just Flight Embraer Phenom 100 (Not that bad actually but I still regret buying it)

Just Flight Viscount (I really wanted this to be good.. what a let down.)

Captain Sim 777 - Shocking!!!

Captain Sim 737 200 & 100 & 200ADV & 200C/F  :fool: ( I must admit I do enjoy flying circuits in the 732 - It's all she is good for!)

Diego

• Upvote 1

- FSPS Sim Physics X (Interferes with a lot of other add ons)

- FS2Crew RAAS Pro (Didn't like being edited would cause FSX to crash when changing Transition Alt/Lvl)

- ORBX YMML and to a lesser extent YBBN (My fault. I purchased without taking system specs into consideration. I'm lucky to get 4 FPS @YMML. Their smaller airports aren't so bad but I can still run many different Aerosoft Mega Airport, UK2000, FSDT and Flytampa sceneries without any major performance issues.)

- Captain Sim 737/757/777. (Went nuts at their 10 Euro sale before I knew any better. The 737 was incredibly buggy, don't even dare touching that PDCS unit. The FDE was way off as well each engine had ~23k lbs of trust when the highest rated 737-200 IRL was around 17,400 lbs. I could take the CS 737 off at 300 kg above MTOW and still hold a 4,000 fpm climb rate well past 10,000' while maintaining 150KIAS I may as well have been flying a fighter. The 757 and 777 both had dodgy engine start characteristics as well as the autopilot not following LNAV/VNAV very well. The 707 wasn't too bad though.

- Wilco 737 evo. (Looks even worse then the original. Doesn't always follow LNAV.) 

I don't know of many developers who would fail to refund if there was a genuine and critical problem, and if there are, then they can be avoided and known about from other forum posts. There has never been a more open and accessible avenue to user critiques than now.

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

Iris for starters

and now they want you to pay for the update thats nearly 2 yrs over due as seen >> https://www.facebook.com/irissimulations/posts/10151520864532416

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

I know I'm going to get some disbelieve over this one, but for me one of the regrets is for EZDok...

It's just to complicated to get full use of it; I don't like how it messes up my key assignments and last of all although it works with TrackIR, it's hard enough getting your mouse on a clickspot in the VC as it is (keeping your head steady), with EZDok it becomes even harder (though not impossible).

Furthermore:

- CS757/767 (anoying bugs and shortcomings)

- Aerosoft EHAM (though it's my home airport and there's no alternative, it's way below the quality I've come to expect from Aerosoft. The promised update has never come).

- Aerosoft F.O.C. (to complex to use)

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

PRO ATC. Have stuck with this through months of updates, because of the outlay. Extortionate cost for something so unfinished. Better than it was, but still not as good as RC4 which I really wish I'd stuck with.

Purchasing 2 areas of VFR England before Orbx announced it was working on it's version of England.

Abacus Combat collection 2

Abacus Fighter Pilot 2

Abacus Mission Blackhawk

Flight1 UT2.....conflicting issues with my computer...reinstalled TrafficX

For one thing, there are no parking areas to spawn into. That may be a limit of FSX for this field, but I count on the payware airports to give me the full experience, just as if flying in life there. I want to be able to spawn and start up and taxi to a runway and fly. And the airport itself, while nice, doesn't appear that much nicer than some of the default UK airports I've flown to so far. And I don't see hand-placed autogen or PR scenery in the immediate area, so basically it seems to be the airport itself.

Hmmm, I have parking areas where I can spawn at EGHR. Second I think this airport is a zillion times better than default, and the hand placed autogen and PR area is there, infact this airport has one of the biggest PR area among all the released FTX EU airports. All later releases had smaller PR area except Shoreham I think. So if your not seeing all these things maybe there is something wrong with your installation?....

Ok just had to comment on that.

Here's my list of regrets

Aerosoft Airbus X - Cant get rid of the CTD's

Physics X - Couldn't see what this product added to my FSX so unistalled it

REX Essentials - Not a bad product, but unistalled it in favour of Opus and FEX

All Carenados - Great to look at, but no depth...

Nemeth Designs AS355 - After getting used to the Dodos excellent physics this one didn't live up to the expectations

Iceland X - Looks kinda old....

Atarctica X - Textures didn't live up to my expectations

You may not have noticed the date of my post, but it was half a year ago. You also may not have noticed that there has been a patch since then that added parking spaces and AG. There's nothing wrong with my install. I don't know what makes you think the PR area is large around this airport, but if it is, it is not really a noticeable improvement, at least for me, as it is at all of my AU and NA airports. I don't have any other UK airports to compare. I still regret this buy, unlike most of my other Orbx scenery.

Agree with you on REXE and Carenado. Don't have those others.

Airbus Xtreme Prologue

It was like to my money in the trash.

You do know its a work in progress, right?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I have to go with the following one as an absolute regret:

Abacus A380: The nose gear doesn't turn. I got round this by convincing myself that Airbus had designed an amazing new steering mechanism that is built around obtaining turn through varying the power output to the engines depending on which way one wanted to turn. Yes, I live in my own world. The VC really was a disappointment, the switches and buttons looked flat and could have been better presented.

The following are not so much regrettable in the sense of, why did I buy it, but rather, regrettable in the sense of, this had more potential:

The Mega Airport Heathrow left out a few key elements, not that I really mind landing the 747 400 manually all that often, it helps me to practice my runway alignments, something at which I am still abysmally bad, but how come they never released a fix for it? I have found that since upgrading my PC, the Heathrow add on is becoming more enjoyable given that the hardware can actually handle the graphics, but that missing file ...

The CLS747 200/300. Again, visually beautiful on the outside, but a few bugs on the inside which made it difficult to appreciate the product completely. Some problems with the VC panels for which a patch was released, but a bit of a nuisance when you have to replace the problem file after every reinstall. The flight dynamics were baffling, I once did a 27 hour flight ... I wanted to see at which point te plane actually ran out of fuel. 27 hours. I appreciate that this was a light product, but again, there are certain things which one might expect not to have to encounter in a product of that price range. Still, there was enough to it for me to actually keep it, it's not installed, but one day, I might just get it out for nostalgic reasons to recreate my first flight on an SAA 747 200. A flight which I duly delayed because I was too busy shopping ... anyone else ever been the last person to board a plane before the doors are shut? Or been the reason that the flight missed its take off spot? Please say yes, anyone.

I am reminded of the old Latin phrase, let the buyer beware, so I am not upset at spending money on it, I am just disappointed that they didn't live up to expectations due to, in some instances, really silly little oversights.

And finally, the PMDG 737 NGX ... nah, just kidding. :Just Kidding: