Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

For me it has to be OpusFSX.

I can't use all of my addons with Opus (addons that use SimConnect or WideFS). Otherwise FSX will go crazy and cause wind, temperature and pressure problems.

The wind shifts are strong enough to cause overspeed situations. AirHauler will make your flaps inop, if overspeed is detected. Opus has cost me over $200,000 in flap repairs (AirHauler money) and I've had to do more flaps up/stuck landings than I care to remember :)

Having said that, when these problems are fixed, I believe that Opus will go from "Regretful" to best I've bought.

These are my purchases to forget:

Aerosoft Airbux X Extended

I installed twice, followed all instructions and could not get the throttles to move more than a little. I don't know why these throttles are so particular in the way they're set up. If FSLabs Concrde and the PMDG NGX get their throttles right, how come this Aerosoft product is such a pain. As of now, I've completely given up on this aircraft.

Flight1 Citation Mustang

It was released with a lot of praise yet hasn't been updated very much. It's fun to fly but kinda bland.

FEX

If only REX didn't exist.

Sorry to hear that. I'm pretty happy on the whole with this aircraft.......the airbus that is.

Dave

5. CLS DC-10. Ugliest VC of a major jetliner.

Their A300/310 was worse. Tried to get them to address it and they flat out refused.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have a collection of MegaScenery Earth that Is Not on my computer. Why. wrong colors and lack of 3D buildings. I did not really care until I bought Louisiana a state I know well and frankly, the colors stunk.

and Key West is wrong. Purchased before I knew better.

Abacus -- Most of their aircraft are only fit for conversion to static aircraft for scenery. They look and fly like early freeware. I have their PBY and the damn thing won't get off the water.

The Vertigo Stearmans -- They just ain't right.

I hate it say it because it shows my that I cannot see beyond the hype but I have a folder called " Aircraft to be repaired" where I store my bad purchases.

For me, one of the great things about this hobby is that we can make changes in the aircraft to make them fly better. I just wish that we could make small mods to the models. I can make a Super Cub fly like a Carbon Cub but I can't make it look like one by adding the STC Mods.

I hate it say it because it shows my that I cannot see beyond the hype but I have a folder called " Aircraft to be repaired" where I store my bad purchases.

For me, one of the great things about this hobby is that we can make changes in the aircraft to make them fly better. I just wish that we could make small mods to the models. I can make a Super Cub fly like a Carbon Cub but I can't make it look like one by adding the STC Mods.

I feel the same way about the external model for the PSS/JustFlight 777 Professional. It's just wrong...

FS2020 

My most regretted purchase was the Captain Sim 757.

Over half the time I cannot get the plane off the ground without crashing and the FMS does not appreciated mid flight changes.

Franklin Duncan

Captain sim 757, 727

- shame because I think CS is on the right path if they could just focus to get their products right.

CLS DC 10, Airbus, DC-3

- i dont mind lite aircraft, but it is the year 2013 so i am expected a bit quality. Look at qualitywings

Aerosoft Airbus X

- Oh dear I am sorry to upset the developer. But that product was rubbish. Made a few attempts the get it working. ctd ctd ctd ....

Not even gonna try the Airbus X extended no FSX/ 3rd party tool flight plan import ???? Please honestly. To many complains from other users let me stay away.

Ariane Boeing 737

- honestly nice product. I did flew it for a while until I build a new machine and never got a new key from them as their refused to send me one even i offered to pay. That was couple of years ago.Customer service and the whole activation/ pay for updates thing and Arianes attitude makes my blood boil even thinking about them. Way to expensive as well

REX

- partly regret it and used it for a while because I liked the textures. But I am using OpusFSX + AS2012 texture combo now

FSDT Geneva

-Nice airport scenery. But the runway comes to sight way to close and is blurry. I had also FSX trouble after install. Their addon manager caused ctd's. After I uninstalled the scenery everything went back to normal. It is a shame because FSDT products are quiet nice.

I'm surprised anyone's using Ariane's 737 at this point with the two great options we have now for the 737. On another note it's nice to see iFly has no complaints in both sim versions.

FS2020 

Level-D for FSX.

I get constant .dll warnings and CTD's trying to fly this bird. Problems I can well do without and now others are complaining about the same thing................

I've also had a lot of warnings and often CTD's during FSX startup with Level D 767, however weirdly enough then actually in flight Level D is one of the most stable birds I've flown in FSX, earlier this week flew form Honolulu to Quito and from there I continued to Manaus without closing FSX, no problems at all.

I don't know of many developers who would fail to refund if there was a genuine and critical problem, and if there are, then they can be avoided and known about from other forum posts. There has never been a more open and accessible avenue to user critiques than now.

All the best,

Rob - RealAir

Users are Customers, and Customers can be "fans". I think allot of people would buy a plane just because it was RealAir for example. There's no avoiding people who will hate "product X", no matter how good it is. Likewise, people will love "product X", no matter how bad it is... based on "brand" loyalty.

I try to only complain, and or dislike a product based on it's defects only. But I freely admit to trying to "make it work" if I like the brand, or in particular, a certain plane that no one else is offering.

But then again... there is stuff out there one wonders why it was released in the first place.

The FSD 115 Commander just never worked for me. Some of the gauges came up blank and the frame rate, using the VC, was terrible on my system. Other people didn't seem to have the same problems, so it may be just a quirk with my system.

I regret spending the money on the Feelthere 175/195. I really enjoyed the Feelthere ERJ 135/145, so i popped for the bigger airplane, thinking it would be a good alternative medium range airliner. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the 175/195 - I simply couldn't get into programming a computer to fly a computerized airplane. Ok, so all my real world flying was in the days before FMCs (or GPS, for that matter). I still have the airplane and may try it again.

Otherwise, all my purchases have been successes. I try to restrain myself from buying the latest until there has been at least one review from one of the major flight sim sites.

Dale

I wish I could regret picking up a couple of Nemeth choppers (AW-109 and AS350) due to a few annoying issues that at least at the moment don't look like they'll be resolved (I know the vicissitudes of development well enough to know that there are all sorts of factors we never see that can complicate things)...... but, I don't.

They've received some really over the top, negative comments on their forums and web pages by super-experts, and there are some minor issues you just wish they'd been able to resolve; but seriously, their stuff is a blast to fly!

For instance, I go back to the default EH101 in FSX after flying their AW109, and it seems dully sedate by comparison. Their Squirrel has elicited screams of Internet Pain due to its being VERY Squirrely, but if you're not frozen in stone in your expectations, or a Realism Grognard, it's absolutely a blast to fly.

And their models and textures compete with Carenado's for prettiness, which is no small thing to me, at least.

I became an expert at Falcon 4.0 many many years ago, with all the necessary Thrustmaster toys of the time, but in a lot of ways it confirmed for me what I've known ever since: your own imaginative input into the fantasy is really 90% of the experience.

The software, no matter how good, is never going to do it for you. :)

CS 777

-I don't even know where to start.

SimPhysicsX

-Causes my TrackIR to have a spaz-attack. Only way to fix is disable the bump effects. Ice is not corresponding to actual icing conditions and timing is way way off with what addon aircraft that simulate it show.

Sent from my Apple communications device.