Sign in to follow this  
Bunkers

Aerosoft ATR-72 is out!

Remember you cannot paint over the original McPhat textures, even as freeware as that is considered copyright infringement, unless express permission is given e.g. Paint kit. This is straight from the developers at Coolsky, which is why there are no 3rd party liveries except McPhat's own payware livery packs.

Wouldn't the paint kit come from Coolsky not McPhat?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Does the EULA say this?

I don't have access to my FSX computer yet so I'm not really sure, but Coolsky's Espen at the restricted DC-9 customer forum says this in relation to freeware paints:

"They are using McPhat Studios' textures without permission. This is piracy, even if they are releasing the liveries as freeware.

Terrence tells me the repaint kit will be released next Friday."

Note that statement was dated November 15th.

Wouldn't the paint kit come from Coolsky not McPhat?

McPhat painted the textures so it's their work and they have the copyright, as Coolsky's previous statements imply that they did not have some sort of "transfer of copyright ownership" clause in the work contract. FYI The ATR is 100% McPhat's work, and Aerosoft is only the publisher.

My opinion is that McPhat is artificially restricting the rights to repaint their work to force people to buy something (e.g. textures) that everyone knew used to be free.

But their UHDT products are worth the price.

Depends. Right now McPhat is restricting what people can do at the non-UHDT level, which brings us to McPhat's SD megapack for the Coolsky DC-9.

BTW I've seen some screenshots and first hand experience with PMDG's NGX (with native "UHDT") and honestly UHDT is seldom visible with large aircraft unless you zoom right in for close-ups, which I rarely do in spot view. Also the practice of "livery packs" is forcing people who want a few specific liveries to buy multiple livery packs, which I don't like.

<br />with PMDG's NGX (with native "UHDT") <br />

If you had the chance to test out their free NGX UHDT, you can see the difference. The amount of details is amazing.

Zicheng Cai

is it a top level aircraft like the CRJ-200? Or a basic aircraft with no systems modeled?

Don't like basic ones..

Teofilo Homsany

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It says on the Aerosoft site that the following paints are included:

"Liveries available: American Eagle, FedEX Express , British Airways Connect, Airlinair-Air France, Alitalia Express, Iberia Air Nostrum, Binter, Air New Zealand,…"

But I don't see most of those in XP, even with the extra McPhat liveries installed.

Is that information a mistake ; are they keeping them for future livery packs?

Depends. Right now McPhat is restricting what people can do at the non-UHDT level, which brings us to McPhat's SD megapack for the Coolsky DC-9.

BTW I've seen some screenshots and first hand experience with PMDG's NGX (with native "UHDT") and honestly UHDT is seldom visible with large aircraft unless you zoom right in for close-ups, which I rarely do in spot view. Also the practice of "livery packs" is forcing people who want a few specific liveries to buy multiple livery packs, which I don't like.

The way you talk shows that you don't know the process of making a paintkit that works well (easy loading times, nice layering etc.) and you sound like a rebel (relax a bit) ^_^ .

For the creation of the paintkit we had to downsize the paintkit by a factor 4 (from 4096 to 1024) in order to guarantee you that everything still looks good Terrence has also spent time changing things that will look weird when downsizing the kit. You can paint liveries for your own use, but you are not allowed to distribute those paints. The only thing I heard is that the paintkit will be released along with our next scheduled newsletter. You, as customer, are not forced to buy SD megapack. It is a choice you make yourself. If it was up to us, we (McPhat) would release all liveries in the release pack (and in UHDT), this however is not what F1 and Coolsky wanted and is not what they commisioned us for.

Sometimes it is better to remain silent if you don't know the facts or didn't search for the facts :rolleyes: .

For the ATR 72-500:

All liveries that we make will be released are freeware, again check your facts (do some research), this has been mentioned.

The message of which this is a reply was deleted.

I am not going to quote you either.

Before I start replying: You are distorting my words and that is something you really don't have to do if you want to discuss something, it shows a lack of respect for the one you are talking to (or yet again you don't know what you are saying).

What I am saying is that we have been tweaking the paintkit for use for 1024, we worked on a 4096 paintkit. With the hundreds (or was it thousands) of layers you would not feel so comfortable I think. Therefore we decided to tweak the paintkit (tremendously). What we get from back as a 'thank you' is a serenade of you accusing McPhat of things (again of which YOU think are true, really be becareful with it).

Distribution of the paints:What I was talking about is that from using our work wich you got with the release package. With the paintkit you can distribute the liveries, didn't make myself to clear there (which in combination with your paranoid view on the matter brings you to some harsh standpoints).

Espen let the distribution of the paintkit to McPhat, which means that Espen should not even be communicating about releases for the paintkit.

I also did not mention that we would do all liveries for the ATR, what I said is that the ones we do are freeware. You claimed that we would release payware packages for the ATR 72-500 as well!

You want to show in this topic the way McPhat does its business, I am ok with that. What I want from you then is to rectify each single point in which you made a mistake and mention it (or are you mispresenting the way McPhat practices buniness on purpose, which isn't allowed according the forum rules?)!

If you have anything to say on the matter, just PM and I will be happy to answer your questions ^_^ .

[/font][/color]

For those considering the McPhat ATR-72 for X-plane please let this thread be an insight of McPhat's business practices.

Your complaint with McPhat is ridiculous and has nothing to do in this forum. Please go post your resentment where it belongs. Not here.

Thanks Dhierin, for this release of a first aircraft for X-Plane. I bought it and I'm eager to try it. It looks beautiful, and the pricing is perfect considering your option of a graphically advanced model with light systems. Hope the flight model is good !

Thanks, Pascal. We are satisfied as well with our first plane for X-Plane. The graphics look pretty good in X-Plane, we hope that in future products we will be able to deliver a more in depth system simulation as well.

I am not going to quote you either.

Before I start replying: You are distorting my words and that is something you really don't have to do if you want to discuss something, it shows a lack of respect for the one you are talking to (or yet again you don't know what you are saying).

What I am saying is that we have been tweaking the paintkit for use for 1024, we worked on a 4096 paintkit. With the hundreds (or was it thousands) of layers you would not feel so comfortable I think. Therefore we decided to tweak the paintkit (tremendously). What we get from back as a 'thank you' is a serenade of you accusing McPhat of things (again of which YOU think are true, really be becareful with it).

Distribution of the paints:What I was talking about is that from using our work wich you got with the release package. With the paintkit you can distribute the liveries, didn't make myself to clear there (which in combination with your paranoid view on the matter brings you to some harsh standpoints).

Espen let the distribution of the paintkit to McPhat, which means that Espen should not even be communicating about releases for the paintkit.

I also did not mention that we would do all liveries for the ATR, what I said is that the ones we do are freeware. You claimed that we would release payware packages for the ATR 72-500 as well!

You want to show in this topic the way McPhat does its business, I am ok with that. What I want from you then is to rectify each single point in which you made a mistake and mention it (or are you mispresenting the way McPhat practices buniness on purpose, which isn't allowed according the forum rules?)!

If you have anything to say on the matter, just PM and I will be happy to answer your questions ^_^ .

I only expressed my opinions based on what little information available publically and what I believe was a clear conflict of interests between the SD megapack and the paint kit. However I'm already ready to retract them should I feel they're misleading or inaccurate in light of new information being presented. I think your statements have satisfied my concerns and I'll fully retract my previous opinions. If I have offended you then I fully apologize.

First of all I didn't know your paint kits were this complex. The most layers I worked with in FS is about 200. As for the ATR statement I misunderstood your statement, again I apologize for that.

To be honest I think it would be much better if McPhat is more forthcoming with information otherwise we the customers would always ask the hard questions. I guess the lesson I've learned is to have a discussion with Dhierin in PM before writing a rebuttal. I've seen too many people defend the likes of Airsimmer and Ariane in public forums and I admit I got too carried away in this thread.

Many Thanks Dhierin for clearing this up with me. :good: Again I hope you'll accept my sincerest apologies for any offence caused.

Your complaint with McPhat is ridiculous and has nothing to do in this forum. Please go post your resentment where it belongs. Not here.

What I did earlier was to highlight an aspect that prospective McPhat customers should know about before purchase, so they can make informed decisions. People are not just buying addons but after sales support, updates and user modifications, which is why developers with established goodwill like PMDG gets more sales.

Of course in light of new information being presented I'm retracting my opinions which means my "resentment" no longer relevant.

The graphics look pretty good in X-Plane, we hope that in future products we will be able to deliver a more in depth system simulation as well.

Great news. I bought the plane yesterday and I really like it. ^_^ I was missing the ATR 72-500 in my hangar since I stopped using FS2004 and the Flight1 ATR.

But I have a question about your free McPhat Studios liveries pack. Why is the distribution and installer so complicated, when it can be made so easy ?

1) Register to the website.

2) Download an installer (Windows only), not available for Mac or GNU/Linux users.

3) Watch a YouTube video and find a serial number.

4) Launch the installer, enter the serial number and select the X-Plane folder.

Well in fact, the Windows installer also runs fine on GNU/Linux if you have Wine.

:P The easiest way to distribute the files would have been a zip archive with the liveries and copyright notices: easy for McPhat Studios, easy for the customer, and compatible with Windows, Mac and GNU/Linux.

By the way, the liveries pack is awesome. Thank you for this great work. My favorite is Air Caraïbes.