Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

ORBX World is here!

Any news yet? I'm really tempted to buy GEX but trying to hold out to see what Orbx World is like.

I think I saw June whas being mentioned at the Orbx forum, but not 100% sure...

It was end of June, but it could be sooner or later, of course. I'm warming up to this possibility. At first I thought, no, I don't want world scenery that looks like PNW and Australia, particular in the parts of the world that don't look like PNW and Australia in real life. But to have a global texture replacement set that gets tweaked from time to time to add textures more faithful to the world seems like it may not be a bad idea. Sure Afghanistan won't look at ALL like Afghanistan, but then, when am I EVER going to fly in Afghanistan anyway?! It may be worth it to me just to have the rest of NA look more like Orbx than default.

Hope it fits South America well, my continent has suffered long enough from default textures that has nothing to do with reality!

Alexis Mefano

June... Oh well, then it will be october before I get to try it. Heading for the woods in just a few months.

I've bought every Orbx addon form the FSS shop and it verifies my purchase online everytime before I can install it. So it's buy, download, verify and install. Still no big hassle but whenever FSS goes out of business, we're screwed. (But that goes for almost all addons!)

You're right. I didn't notice that since I haven't had to type in a password or anything... That's a shame.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hello all, my first post at AVSIM in about 18 months I think. Tom and I dealt with an unrelated business incident a few weeks back and it ended like a mutual olive branch of sorts, so I'll pop my head in here from time to time.

13 pages of posts for an unreleased product, can't say we are unhappy about the level of interest.

We are close to an alpha build. Currently FTX Global is a large collection of files on a few developers' PCs but we will be releasing it to out testing team soon. I don't want to break AVSIM forum rules by talking about unreleased products so let me just say that we are working hard to get it out by the end of June.

@Stephen and Mods, I'll answer the questions posed in this thread below but won't be offended if you edit or remove my post,

It will work much like GEX; just add your preferred flavour of mesh and landclass/terrain products (FSGenesis, FSGlobal2012, SceneryTech LC, UTX, openVFR, FranceVFR etc) and FTXG will conform to their LC calls.

It will give us opportunities to develop Orbx airports anywhere in the world rather than wait for our regular regions to be completed. We have plans for airports in Sweden, Norway, Brazil, the Philipines, Germany, PNG, Asia - you get the idea.

FTXG will be FSX/P3D compatible out of the box. It will not compete with our full-featured regions (they will continue to expand across EU and NA) and they have unique terrain textures in each release.

The DLC in the Plus Pack will include OSM generated LC/vector/terrain, POI models and airports. We will focus on popular areas first (EU, NA, Africa).

I can't talk about P3D v2.0; most of what has been touted in this topic is pure conjecture. Obviously we talk to LM regularly but we have to respect our business confidentiality.

Performance is the same as default FSX give or take some FPS if you have our 3D lights on.

I hope that has answered some of your questions :)

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

John,

But the second release package of FTXG will contain LC files correct? If so is it for the whole world the LC files?

Eric 

John,

But the second release package of FTXG will contain LC files correct? If so is it for the whole world the LC files?

The DLC in the Plus Pack will include OSM generated LC/vector/terrain, POI models and airports. We will focus on popular areas first (EU, NA, Africa).

how many gigs is the download ? ORBX is forced installed to the FSX file so could be a space problem for some

ZORAN

I've read the download will be around 5 GB (but since there isn't even an alpha build yet this might be a very rough estimate ^_^ ). I do wonder how much space the installed addon will take.

If you don't like to install things into the FSX folder, you can use the Windows junction option to redirect things to another drive.

@John:

From what I've understood with the Plus Pack you in fact pay for lifetime upgrades and you can buy the Plus Pack whenever you feel like doing so. Does that mean that when you buy the Plus Pack after (for instance) 2 years, you will get ALL the previously released DLC too? Or will you only get the DLC from the moment you took a 'subscription'? The word subcription confuses me a bit because with most subscriptions you only get things from the moment you take that subscription, but I have the idea this may be different with FTXG...?

About the base pack: does the Plus Pack automatically mean the base pack will remain version 1.0 for eternity?

Hallo Jeroen,

You are correct. You can 'opt in' anytime with the Plus and you will get all historical DLC content via the FTXG front end app. The base pack will be locked at version 1.x (it will have .x incremental patches to fix obvious bugs found only).

The front end app for the Plus Pack will automatically notify of any new DLC and/or patches and will download and patch them automatically once you choose to do so.

You will need an internet-connected PC to use FTX Global.

The Plus Pack will be released some months behind the Base Pack, still in 2013.

The Base Pack may contain a base LC for the world; we have not yet decided on this.

The download will be ~5-6GB and expands to ~8-10GB depending on the final content. Since we backup whatever textures you are using in FSX/P3D at installation time you will need at least 12GB free to run FTX Global.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Nice to see you posting here at AVSIM John great stuff.

Rich Sennett

Hallo Jeroen,

You are correct. You can 'opt in' anytime with the Plus and you will get all historical DLC content via the FTXG front end app. The base pack will be locked at version 1.x (it will have .x incremental patches to fix obvious bugs found only).

The front end app for the Plus Pack will automatically notify of any new DLC and/or patches and will download and patch them automatically once you choose to do so.

You will need an internet-connected PC to use FTX Global.

The Plus Pack will be released some months behind the Base Pack, still in 2013.

The Base Pack may contain a base LC for the world; we have not yet decided on this.

The download will be ~5-6GB and expands to ~8-10GB depending on the final content. Since we backup whatever textures you are using in FSX/P3D at installation time you will need at least 12GB free to run FTX Global.

I did have one question - will FTX Global include replacement textures for the few specific/unique landclass textures that the Ultimate Terrain X series of products uses? GEX has custom textures for these to help make sure UTX-enhanced areas blend or "fit in" properly with the other textures. I saw on the official Fullterrain forum the pics with UTX so I know it "supports" UTX (i.e. works with it) but again, just wondering if it includes replacement textures specifically for UTX like GEX does.