Sign in to follow this  

LOL well at least it is not your memory. :) Besides your voltage is way off. Try a CPU voltage of 1.4vcc. Run prime for awhile and if it runs for say 15 minutes lower it to 1.375vcc. Then repeat until it fails. IB seems to need less voltage IMO but I still need 1.44 to run stable at 4.9. I can easilyt run 4.5 at 1.3 but that is on an IB.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

LOL well at least it is not your memory. :) Besides your voltage is way off. Try a CPU voltage of 1.4vcc. Run prime for awhile and if it runs for say 15 minutes lower it to 1.375vcc. Then repeat until it fails. IB seems to need less voltage IMO but I still need 1.44 to run stable at 4.9. I can easilyt run 4.5 at 1.3 but that is on an IB.

Cheers

jja

Sorry, but I'm not going up to 1.4. I want to stay below the 1.390 range. I'll try 1.375.

Alright, 1.375 seemed to work with 4.5GHz for 15 minutes on Prime. It ran a complete self-test and it passed with no BSODs. However, Real Temp reported temperatures like this:

This was taken after the test was stopped. Take a look at the maximum temperatures. Is that too high? I can increase my fan speed too, btw. Also, lots of people recommend running a test overnight to truly test the clock, should I do that?

Right now I'm back down to my original 4.2GHz with 1.315v.

How long did you run at your original?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Alright, 1.375 seemed to work with 4.5GHz for 15 minutes on Prime. It ran a complete self-test and it passed with no BSODs. However, Real Temp reported temperatures like this:

This was taken after the test was stopped. Take a look at the maximum temperatures. Is that too high? I can increase my fan speed too, btw. Also, lots of people recommend running a test overnight to truly test the clock, should I do that?

78 is fairly high.... I'm telling you - you might have a dumb cpu like mine.

Suggestion: Be careful, but while in BIOS set vcore to AUTO, leaving XMP enabled. And set multiplier to 45x. Save settings but remain in BIOS and check the temp and voltage right away. It would probably be around 1.35- 1.36v. If it's anything above 1.4 go back to what you had previously.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

See if you can run at 1.35 which is an ultria safe voltage and should bring your temps down. An hour should be good enough IMO.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Do you mean the Prime test? Forever. It was very stable.

78 is fairly high.... I'm telling you - you might have a dumb cpu like mine.

Suggestion: Be careful, but while in BIOS set vcore to AUTO, leaving XMP enabled. And set multiplier to 45x. Save settings but remain in BIOS and check the temp and voltage right away. It would probably be around 1.35- 1.36v. If it's anything above 1.4 go back to what you had previously.

I'd rather not risk it... Too expensive technology!! lol

See if you can run at 1.35 which is an ultria safe voltage and should bring your temps down. An hour should be good enough IMO.

Cheers

jja

Let's see.

EDIT: I BSOD'ed with 1.35 at 1 minute of testing.

Edited by linux731

Noel, on 28 January 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Do you mean the Prime test? Forever. It was very stable.

Be happy at 3.71v. Be careful w/ too much overvolting to get that last [virtually irrelevant from a performance standpoint] bit of clock speed. I killed an expensive E processor doing that so I speak from sad experience.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Buy the very cheap Intel overclocking insurance, less stress.

Surprises me how many of you guys have to disable power saving features, I use them all, and have no issues running at 4.5.

4.6 is okay too. 4.7 on the other hand, requires a whopping 4.5 volts and temps go through the roof. Not dellided.

I'd rather not risk it... Too expensive technology!!

Well this is what I had to do for mine. Its not going to blow up

On you at idle. Even though auto vcore sets 1.356v under load my system would BSOD if I set vcore to 1.356v - doesn't make any sense right?

Regardless I've been running For two years now with no issues on auto

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I ran into a problem with my H100 water cooler and had to have it RMA'd. Until I got the new one I had to drop my OC to 4.2 and I was amazed at how well everything ran. 4.2 is a nice OC for FSX with that CPU. If you can go higher that's great, but 4.2 should make you happy.

Edit: As I was scrolling down the post I saw the screenshot of the BSOD and it made my heart jump lol. I feel like Pavlov's dog sometimes...

I'd rather not risk it... Too expensive technology!! lol

You might want to sign up for the Intel Tuning plan. If you CPU is less that 12 months old you can get a warranty that covers overclocking. It will give you a one time replacement should you fry your chip.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

With regard to your BSOD it is most likely the vcore being too low.

I am currently running a 2500K at 4.7 w/ offset that sits around 1.38. I initially started stable at 1.42 and worked down. Now I am IBT and Prime stable under 70 degrees.

Remember the 2500k has a max voltage of 1.52 but most people live with the no more than 1.4v and 70 degrees in Prime rule.

Asus did a review of 100 D2 chips and found the following:

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz

2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz

3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

So you might just have a chip that can't get a high OC or a power hungry chip.

Are you using manual volts or offset?

Alright, I went back to 4.2GHz with 1.315v. It seems like this is really stable, no crashes so far. Would water-cooling help with my problem, or is it not really temperature related? I mean, I don't think so.

I'd still try auto vcore... just in bios to see what it sets the volts and temp too. I don't think water cooling will help.... there is definitely some other problem (I agree probably voltage related).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

You might want to sign up for the Intel Tuning plan. If you CPU is less that 12 months old you can get a warranty that covers overclocking. It will give you a one time replacement should you fry your chip.

Yep, said the same thing myself a few posts before yours. Cost me a mere £25. Takes all the stress out of overclocking.