Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Orbx remarks about X-Plane

I place the claims that the comments are based about fears of competition in the delusional category.

Don't be so sure about that....I know peoples.... :ph34r:

I think he understands it's going to take more than scenery for Xplane10 to have a viable future. Its going to take LR to focus and not abandon the current version of XPX for XPXI. Fill in all expected gaps most simmers gripe about.

Regarding Prepared3D licensing, my understanding is that there is not legal way they can make a retail version available. To my knowledge FSX code was sold to Lockheed Martin under the pre-text that it would not compete with FSX and work with it as only a commercial simulator. As such, unless P3D 2.0 is a complete ground up code rewrite, it would still fall under this non-compete clause.

Eric Szczesniak

As some other have said, his motivation is pretty obvious. His company is bringing in a ton of money and is completely dependent on the FSX/P3D platform. The more users who switch platforms, the smaller his market is.

Daniel Miller

Let's not forget Austin Meyer's penchant for not holding back his opinion on the competition's product either. Chalk it up to the entrepreneurial spirit found in both owners, and take it for what it's worth in both camps. (Those sympathetic to either cause will gravitate warmly towards the message - those with opposing viewpoints will sense arrogance)

Who says Orbx is limited to producing scenery environments for the grey area of consumer/academic use on P3D? For all we know, they could be leveraging the common code with FSX and their expertise to develop government/corporate requested projects for the platform. Ya' never know.

The more users who switch platforms, the smaller his market is.

That's one way to look at it. You could also say, he could tap into "two" markets. What he looses in one, he gains in another? Just another way to look at it.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Orbx CEO is stating no profit to be made with Xplane likely the truth. Still, more fs 2004 users than X-plane 9 and 10 users at this point. X-plane conclude not product intended for the masses like Mircosoft version.

Let's not forget Austin Meyer's penchant for not holding back his opinion on the competition's product either. Chalk it up to the entrepreneurial spirit found in both owners, and take it for what it's worth in both camps. (Those sympathetic to either cause will gravitate warmly towards the message - those with opposing viewpoints will sense arrogance)

I can't get over Austin Meyer's comments during the town hall that he had never tried FSX and made it appear as though he had no idea of what the competition offers.

That's one way to look at it. You could also say, he could tap into "two" markets. What he looses in one, he gains in another? Just another way to look at it.

Glen

Without taking anything away from their sceneries (as they make good one) JV said many many time that he would never develop for XP-10 as they were a MS FSX developers ONLY...could he have change his mind since he was kicked out of Flight (after giving a lot of their secrets away)...I don't think so, unless he want to look.....well, I'll let you all decide how he would look.

XP-10 64-bit NEED to be stable PERIOD if Laminar want a lot of good 3PD to get on board,.... the sooner the bette

With you all the way on this one.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I doubt LM sees X-Plane as being "the competition" because it really is angling for different customers. I place the claims that the comments are based about fears of competition in the delusional category.

Lockheed Martin may not think so, but OrbX certainly does. This John Venema character is trashing the competition because he's hitched his wagon to FSX/P3D.

What do people think about the statement John Venema made in this interview about X-Plane having no future:

People have been saying X-Plane has no future ever since the 90's.

Am I correct in my understanding that land-class based scenery as we know it isn't possible in X-Plane?. I remember reading a lengthy interview with one of the developers who explained how the scenery system works, and it was quite different from flight simulators.

The FranceVFR team also seem to be trying to get their autogen over to X-Plane, but seem to have hit a snag. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems have gone quiet now on that front.

I'd love to see proper textures and region-based autogen in X-Plane, but so far everything looks so generic. I do have the Malmi airport which looks really good, but once you leave the airport, it's just plain X-Plane world again :(

@tony

just so you know you can download photosceney and osm autogen for all of finland from the truescenery site, and you'll have a whole country to fly around.