Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

ORBX compatibility with payware airports

So far, I just tried the free demos, so before buying ORBX England, Wales & Scotland (latter hopefully coming soon!) I have been trying to find out how it will all fit with payware FSX airports I already have. But in spite of time spent Googling and searching this forum I don't really have an unequivocal answer. Sorry if my search skills are at fault there.

I don't have that many FSX addons for the UK, as I fly mostly FS9. But I would certainly want to keep Aerosoft's 'Mega Airport London Heathrow' and UK2000's Gatwick Xtreme for instance. I assume that the ORBX sceneries will have some bgl files for these airports, but that they will not be as detailed as those I already have. Can one just remove bgl files with EGLL, EGKK etc. from the ORBX folders to make things work? Or are there excludes included (as it were!) with the ORBX software that make this unnecessary? The advice on the Flightsim.co.uk page for the ORBX scenery is that Aerosoft Mega airports for FSX should be uninstalled. Not happy about that, I must say.. screenshots I have seen of the airports that come with the FTX England package don't come anywhere near the Aerosoft Heathrow

(I read that ORBX 'expects software developers to make their sceneries compatible with ORBX...', which seems a bit arrogant!).

Thanks,

Martin

(I read that ORBX 'expects software developers to make their sceneries compatible with ORBX...', which seems a bit arrogant!).

I'm sure someone will step in and help with your specific airports, but in general this statement is not the case.  In all the US regions I have, the Orbx team has gone out of their way to offer compatibility and guidance with existing scenery if it makes any sense at all and as far as I've heard they continue to do so.

scott

I read it on an Aerosoft forum, and Aerosoft weren't all that amused! But I didn't mean to gossip! :rolleyes:

Yes, hope someone can advise.. thanks.

Haven't had any problems using other devs airport scenery inside Orbx Regions yet. I have Aerosoft PANC, FSDT CYVR and Aerosoft Heathrow. Allthough the colors don't always match because Orbx uses a little darker textures. And you find answers how to make these work on the Orbx compitability forum, and that they even have that forum section I think speaks for itself.....(they are willing to help users make other sceneries fit with Orbx)

Maybe you can tell us what airports you struggle with and Im sure someone could explain howto make them work, or you can ask at the Orbx comp forum...(or is this thread a well hidden attempt to start another Orbx bash thread?)

Maybe you can tell us what airports you struggle with and Im sure someone could explain howto make them work, or you can ask at the Orbx comp forum...

He's a prospective buyer for UK regions - so he's looking before he buys.  He can't see the compatibility forum until he's a registered user.  He did list specifics, so hopefully someone who has the UK regions can help.

As noted, they worked VERY hard to offer compatibility with Aerosoft's PANC in their Southern Alaska region, including detailed instructions at release for several compatibility levels along with the various tradeoffs.

Scott

He's a prospective buyer for UK regions - so he's looking before he buys. He can't see the compatibility forum until he's a registered user. He did list specifics, so hopefully someone who has the UK regions can help.

He can register and read the forum without being a customer, he just can't post support questions(he don't even need to ask there, because most of he's questions have already been answered in that forum).

I already gave him answer about Heatrow, and I can also say that the UK2000 airports also works.

(Could someone tell me what is not compitable? as I haven't yet experienced any comp problems with other devs airport sceneries inside Orbx regions)

But the statement "(I read that ORBX 'expects software developers to make their sceneries compatible with ORBX...', which seems a bit arrogant!)." kinda throw me off willing to help because he assume things that isn't even true.....Not a good way to start asking for help? That line could also trigger a lot of those that love to bash Orbx coming into this thread and even make it less helpful...

Ok, so to the OP, those airports you mentioned work fine with Orbx UK, there you have the answer to your concerns :rolleyes: And the new Heathrow will even blend in better because the colors have been adjusted to match better with Orbx colors. If you have any more questions feel free to ask as long as it isn't any more gossip B)

Before they made Orbx EU England the Orbx forum was full of posts with concerns about the UK2000 airports, so Orbx posted a lot of screenshoots on how well they had integrated them to make it fit, they blend almost perfectly...

And BTW a google search on UK2000 and Orbx compitabilty gave me plenty of hits where I found info on how compitable they are(screenshots on how it looks, what files needed to be deleted etc...)...Spending 2 minutes on research can get you far.

But the statement "(I read that ORBX 'expects software developers to make their sceneries compatible with ORBX...', which seems a bit arrogant!)." kinda throw me off willing to help because he assume things that isn't even true.....Not a good way to start asking for help?

I dunno - I try not to take offense when no offense is really intended, and I didn't sense there was any here.  Martin is, after all, interested in purchasing and is looking for information, and he did make it clear that it was something he'd read elsewhere.

As a non-registered guest, someone visiting the Orbx forums would not even know that there was a compatibility forum.  That said, if a product has forums available I usually do try to read them (and register if it's required) before purchase to get a better lay of the land.  I especially appreciate those vendors who make their support forums available for viewing to all and yes, Orbx does.  But you do have to register.

Scott

Sorry, but I got a little offended by that(I think is a unfair accusation), but if you read my post above I'm also helping him, but spending to minutes on a google search would also have given him the answers he was looking for. But lets just ignore that...my bad

Here is all the answers he need, he can purchase FTX EU now without any concerns and when he have bought it, he can go to the Orbx forum and ask what he needs to do to get them work properly.

Ok, so to the OP, those airports you mentioned work fine with Orbx UK, there you have the answer to your concerns And the new Heathrow will even blend in better because the colors have been adjusted to match better with Orbx colors. If you have any more questions feel free to ask as long as it isn't any more gossip

Before they made Orbx EU England the Orbx forum was full of posts with concerns about the UK2000 airports, so Orbx posted a lot of screenshoots on how well they had integrated them to make it fit, they blend almost perfectly...

And BTW a google search on UK2000 and Orbx compitabilty gave me plenty of hits where I found info on how compitable they are(screenshots on how it looks, what files needed to be deleted etc...)...Spending 2 minutes on research can get you far.

He can register and read the forum without being a customer, he just can't post support questions(he don't even need to ask there, because most of he's questions have already been answered in that forum).

Sorry, but this is not the case.  I registered on the ORBX forums and had zero read access without giving them a purchase number.  And that's just silly.  ORBX seemingly doesn't want anyone to learn about their products until they've already paid.

Kaboki - I just said I read the statement, not that it is my opinion (although from the threads I read about this, I didn't get the impression that the whole thing was being made up). How could it be my opinion? I haven't got any of their products yet or had any dealings with ORBX, the free sceneries apart, at all. The problem with forums of course is that readers of what one writes can have no idea of the tone in which it is said. I have almost 2500 posts here spread over ten years. I certainly don't have a history of offending people! (If the comment really makes you that angry I'll post a link to where it was said, and you could have a go at the person who actually said it. Case of shooting the messenger here, I think :rolleyes:

I posted here because I was put off even trying to access the ORBX official forums by the number of people (like RoboRay) who I'd read saying you can't even get onto the forum site without being a registered purchaser.

I doubt that, from what people say about ORBX, there will be much problem, and I am fairly 'bgl savvy' - usually manage to sort out clashes by moving bgl files around. The screenshots look good, so will, probably go for the UK set at least. (I read that Scotland will appear by the end of the year, or thereabouts?).

Thanks for all replies,

Martin

I registered on the ORBX forums and had zero read access without giving them a purchase number

Interesting.  That certainly was not the case when I registered - though that was some time ago - and I've seen "Please be so kind as to include your order number..." responses fairly recently to unsigned requests for support.

Ah, well...

Scott

Sorry, but this is not the case. I registered on the ORBX forums and had zero read access without giving them a purchase number. And that's just silly. ORBX seemingly doesn't want anyone to learn about their products until they've already paid.

Ok, then the rules may(or not) have changed since I registered and I can't check wether It is true or not because I have been a member for awhile. But I have seen the same as Scott recently.....

quote:

"and I've seen "Please be so kind as to include your order number..." responses fairly recently to unsigned requests for support."

So there are certain users that are on the forum without having bought anything and they are posting all over the forum, now how did they manage to get in :huh:

Kaboki - I just said I read the statement, not that it is my opinion (although from the threads I read about this, I didn't get the impression that the whole thing was being made up). How could it be my opinion? I haven't got any of their products yet or had any dealings with ORBX, the free sceneries apart, at all. The problem with forums of course is that readers of what one writes can have no idea of the tone in which it is said. I have almost 2500 posts here spread over ten years. I certainly don't have a history of offending people! (If the comment really makes you that angry I'll post a link to where it was said, and you could have a go at the person who actually said it. Case of shooting the messenger here, I think

I posted here because I was put off even trying to access the ORBX official forums by the number of people (like RoboRay) who I'd read saying you can't even get onto the forum site without being a registered purchaser.

I doubt that, from what people say about ORBX, there will be much problem, and I am fairly 'bgl savvy' - usually manage to sort out clashes by moving bgl files around. The screenshots look good, so will, probably go for the UK set at least. (I read that Scotland will appear by the end of the year, or thereabouts?).

Thanks for all replies,

Martin

Now if I was angry I wouldn't have helped you at all would I?(telling you that your concerns are unnecessry when it comes to Aerosoft Heathrow and UK2000 comp).. And I also said sorry some posts above...

On the flipside to that statement you said was arrogant. Is it not just as arrogant expecting Orbx to make all airports from a dusins off other devs compitable with their regions?(and they are really making an effort to make them work....yes they are...Infact Orbx is doing more than anyone these days to fight compitabilty)

It would actually be easier for a dev of 1 airport to make it compitable than for Orbx to adjust their sceneries to make a hundred of them compitable, wouldn't it?

And I give you guys a Challenge...name one airport that is not compitable with their regions. According to what you guys have heard that one would be easy...

I see this thread shaping up to be what I feared it too become.... -_- I was just waiting for a guy like RoboRay come in here and make a comment like that to get it started..Let the bashing begin :clapping:

Im outa here :wacko:

The only  issue  I had  or conflict issue I had   with another  payware airport  being  fdst   cyvr  with orbox  is  that I had  duplicates  airport(which was easily  fixed  by  doing  a  airport  scan  and  removing  the duplicated files), and some  bgl files  that caused  ctd  but  thse  were fixed   by orbox lib updates.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

OK, thanks Pete. Yes, removing bgl files has worked fine for other payware sceneries I have installed, so I am sure it'd be an easy fix in ORBX, should there be any clashes.

I remember joining their forum before I purchased anything.  Even now when I am not logged in, I can still view at least some of the sub forums.