Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Some GEX - FTX Global comparisons

I can't help wondering whether FTXG will trip over the same problem that GEX and other texture developers have been dealing with for years - that FSX uses the same textures in multiple places, not all of them appropriate. The only solution (so far) has been to modify the textures so they look "OK" everywhere, but not quite "right" anywhere.

Yes, FTXG has the same problem. A few people are very vocal about textures in Texas being wrong due to this. But as Aaron said OpenLC will solve most of those problems. And the problems it won't solve will be solved when FTX regions become available for the affected regions.

Landclass simply is a system with limits... not too much you can do about it unless you focus on small regions like the FTX regions do.

All of which may be true. But I'm a little uneasy about the idea of OpenLC as the fix for everything..For example:

It has been reported that FTXG has  "Dry" texture tiles that are actually "Green". These give an inaccurate effect in some areas when FSX default or existing LC products are used. 

There are two ways they (ORBX) can fix that :.

One way is to change the texture so it is "Drier". That of course will change all areas that the texture is used, but by and large will  look more accurate under most of the LC products in use today. 

The other is to leave the texture as is, but craft OpenLC to call a different, drier texture for those areas affected.

Either way will work, but if they leave the texture unchanged, then other LC products will most likely continue to produce an incorrect result. Which of course doesn't matter if OpenLC works perfectly everywhere and everyone is happy. But my experience of LC products is that they are not perfect, and while some are good in one place, others are better elsewhere. I switch between different LC products depending on where I fly, and I'm not sure I want to be locked into using OpenLC alone.

Does that make sense to anyone ?

Does that make sense to anyone ?

That makes PERFECT sense but again, I am afraid this will always be a limitation of landclass scenery... it will never be perfect. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a perfect world using landclass only. The only way to get everything right in THAT regads is photoreal. Even JV himself adviced to download the free Grand Canyon photoreal addon because no landclass addon will do it justice! And also: even FTX region DO have photoreal parts in specific areas, for the very same reason!

We will have to wait and see how OpenLC solves a few of the current problem area's. Big chance Orbx will use specific textures for area's that really have problems. Don't forget that FTXG comes with some 9 GB of textures and all 7 OpenLC regions will add something like 10 to 12 GB of textures to it...!!! I think those extra textures will solve more problems than the landclass alone already will.

I think ORBX are producing custom landclass tables so different areas call different textures which will eliminate incorrect textures in certain areas

Thanks again Jeroen for taking the time.

Looks like the desert texture issue has been dealt with rather well and the seasons look reasonably good as well.

Time to make an appointment with the budget lady.

Jeroen what is this free Grand Canyon photo real you speak of? Is it from OrbX?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

We will have to wait and see how OpenLC solves a few of the current problem area's. .

Agreed.

WAS considering FTX Global. But after watching some you tube GEX/UTX and FTX side by side comparison. I can not justify a 100.00 investment to replace GEX/UTX. Though FTX is a wonderful product and if I didnt already have replacement texture would probably buy it. But, cant justify it just for the sake of something NEW.

Don't know if this has been posted on this forum yet....but both products look close (and good) to me.

Don't know if this has been posted on this forum yet....but both products look close (and good) to me.

They absolutely both look good - but FTX (IMO) is the winner.  Also - FTX covers the globe which has to play into equation.  

The question is who has the resources to carry this topic forward?  My feeling is that it is the ORBX team which has proved time and time again that it is up to the task.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

But I'm a little uneasy about the idea of OpenLC as the fix for everything.

It won't be, even FTX regional scenery has its limitations. It looks really good until you fly an area that you are intimately familiar with.

That being said the FTX regionals are still as good as you can buy for FSX; FTX Global with OpenLC won't even come close (which considering the much lower price, is a pity).