Sign in to follow this  
Nurmblitz

Download of Past Purchases at FSPilotShop

When I bought Global it said I had 100 downloads?

Those expire after a year or is it just older products that could be subject to the fee?

Personally, I think it should be free to re-download your products assuming the store hasn't gone out of business.

I would like to add,that my purpose with this post was to warn and inform you fellow simmers, that you should consider this policy when doing your purchases. There are alternatives.

Cant compare it to PMDG thats a bit silly, most would only have one or two of their products compared to dozens with FSS especially if your and ORBX fan, big gig downloads that are parked at FSS to save space.

ZORAN

OP,

Think of it this way; if you need to obtain a copy of your College Transcripts (grades) from your University after you graduated, the University would charge you a fee for those Transcripts, right? It's the same thing with re-downloading something you purchased way after the fact. Some companies offer the service for free, others like FSPilotShop charge a minimal fee. You would probably do the same thing, if you had to maintain all of the files and the Servers, and keep track of those same files. 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Interesting, never really thought about this.

1. I get my download and save it to a drive.

2. I take that saved download and make a backup onto another drive.

Since I have terabytes of digital home movies I keep 10 -  3 terabyte drives available.  One contains what I call the original and another contains a full backup set.

I just had a 7 year old drive fail.  Went out, bought a replacement, and backup up that data again.

I don't trust any service or anyone else to cover my butt.  I do it myself.  I never have an issue.

Just like the fact that I have a dedicated FSX drive and a full backup of everything, all settings, all configure GUI's etc.  It's just the digital world.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Simmarket seems to give you everything you've ever bought forever. I still have products I bought in 2003 downloadable in my account. Aerosoft also seem to give you long term access in their download shop. I don't go as far back as 2003 with them but I bought stuff easily four or five years ago that is still there and downloadable. In fact, I bought the NGX off aerosoft as a download for this very reason - PMDG's 'extended download' has stung me for the last time.

Simmarket seems to give you everything you've ever bought forever. I still have products I bought in 2003 downloadable in my account. Aerosoft also seem to give you long term access in their download shop. I don't go as far back as 2003 with them but I bought stuff easily four or five years ago that is still there and downloadable. In fact, I bought the NGX off aerosoft as a download for this very reason - PMDG's 'extended download' has stung me for the last time.

Yep, Simmarket and Flight1 are AFAIK unprecendented in providing lifetime download access to your purchased products; without further charge.

Both deserve recognition and kudos for it.

Remember that a certain developer doesn't care what some of you think? Certain websites don't care either.

Yep, Simmarket and Flight1 are AFAIK unprecendented in providing lifetime download access to your purchased products; without further charge.

+1  bye bye FSS !

ZORAN

We sidestepped the whole issue, by making our downloads freely available for everybody, even before purchasing...

Milking? Hardly. Yes, I'm aware there are other stores that provide unlimited downloads, and that's all well and good. Perhaps they get a larger slice of the take from the sale of each item which allows them. 

Don't discount the cost of servers and bandwidth, it's not cheap. Esp if you're talking large downloads. 

It's common practice in many businesses to charge for resupply of items. If i want another bank statement, or copy of my phone bill, I need to pay.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Milking? Hardly. Yes, I'm aware there are other stores that provide unlimited downloads, and that's all well and good. Perhaps they get a larger slice of the take from the sale of each item which allows them. 

Don't discount the cost of servers and bandwidth, it's not cheap. Esp if you're talking large downloads. 

It's common practice in many businesses to charge for resupply of items. If i want another bank statement, or copy of my phone bill, I need to pay.

This kinda reminds me of how banks moved everyone into digitally doing what they did before face to face, which resulted in them making more money because they could fire a bunch of people letting us do all the work and then adding insult to injury by charging us a fee for us doing the work at the ATM - and then saying well all those ATMs cost a lot of money etc...its a vicious circle.

providing the product via download is a convenient way for a commerical vendor to avoid any production cost so of course I would expect them to pay for the bandwidth etc.

And also remember when five guys would job to attention when you filled up your car with gas. (remember the Back to the Future scene of exactly that), well I'm old enough that I can remember that...now we do all the work, but that didn't mean the price went down....the petrol companies just made more money, didn't need but one person to run their gas stations.  Then some started saying he if you would like us to fill you up, well then it will cost you more because I have to provide a real human to do it.

Ah, whatever.  If the FSS is charging a fee, then it sure sounds to me like petty theft.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

We sidestepped the whole issue, by making our downloads freely available for everybody, even before purchasing...

:good:

ZORAN

Guest ecg

Just visited above mentioned shop and noticed that they demand money from downloads. Good bye that's all he wrote...

Are you talking about The Flightsim Store in Australia?

I downloaded a 2 year old purchase a couple days ago and was not charged, just tried another a few minutes ago with the same result. Did not see anything on the site about a change in this policy.

The flightsimshop is a different site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta