Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Young

MegaSceneryEarth's Announcement

Just got an e-mail from MSE HQ and the CEO advised the lower 48 is almost done with just Washington (being released on 6 Aug) and California (being released sometime in late August) are the only two left in the lower 48.   They go on to say "then there's going to be some exciting new announcements and releases."  They hint that their aim is to "truly make this product line MegaSceneryEarth."  I think this means they'll be publishing Alaska and Hawaii and many countries around the world.  I hope they start with Canada.  I'm interested in hearing other guesses as to the next product line after MSE V2 USA.

Best regards,

Jim

Remind me. Have they said when the night lighting modules would be released? I hope they don't try to make it through the remaining 195 (?) countries before moving on to night lighting.

All get Western Canada like BC, MB, SK , YT then Alaska to connect. Make vfr Minnesota to Alaska runs in fsx having western Canada would help. Night textures be nice be nice to have, but hope corrections are made on certain areas with time,

OK help me out here please.

I haven't paid any attention to this product but as a result of you announcment I just went to their website.

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct?  I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state?  Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

So...how does this compare to donation ware Blue Sky?

I haven't paid any attention to this product but as a result of you announcment I just went to their website.

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct? I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

- Correct. There is no autogen.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state? Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

- As far as I know, it's not that expensive per state and you can't buy small areas but haven't checked the website lately. And, yes, just summer.

Edit - I take that back...it looks like you can just buy the individual "squares" of a state. So, maybe that does make Washington like $150. That does seem expensive!

- It's basically the same I think.

And, yet another edit to what I just posted...I think the prices per "square" you're seeing for CA and WA are because they aren't converted to version two yet. When they are, you should be able to buy the whole state for one much lower price than what we are figuring here. For example, Wyoming is $40 and that is probably bigger than Washington in terms of square miles. So, I'd expect WA to be equal or less than that.

Correct me if I'm wrong...its just photo scenery with no autogen or annotation, correct?  I can't see anything that says there are objects available.

Also, it's like really, really, really expensive...ie Washington State is $150...for one state?  Or is there something I'm missing here.  And you can buy a little dinky square for some price like $7-10 bucks.  And its daytime, summer only set of aerial photo real scenery?

You do not need autogen.  In fact that's what makes it so great (for me at least).  You can turn off Autogen saving invaluable fps.  The only issue might be the lack of autogen around some default airports.  Commercial airports look great in MSE.  The solution would be to fly from a payware airport to a payware airport destination.  Wash State has not been released so no price for the product has been released yet.  I think the most expensive State so far was Texas as it was divided into 3 separate purchases and case around $110.  I doubt Wash State will be that expensive and most likely around the $40 that many of the other States in the US has cost.  California will probably be divided like Texas and may be just as expensive as Texas if not more.  Most states cost between $30 and $40.  Not sure where you got the $150 unless you went to the wrong website.  There was another payware photoscenery that cost at least that much but it came with a USB or HDD.  From my understanding, they have merged with MSE V2.  The Dinky squares you are talking about is for the original MSE which you can still buy.  I am talking about MegaSceneryEarth Version 2 which is a whole new product.  It only has one season as it would be a massive download to download all four seasons for each State.  

Here's a link to the MegaSceneryEarth Store.  On the left hand side is the list of States available.  When you go to each State, you will see photos and videos of the product.

Best regards,

Jim

hope corrections are made on certain areas with time

I totally agree.  There are some anomalies that need to be fixed and I hope they fix those before venturing to new projects.  I would like to see more and better watermasking too.  Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Jim

ave they said when the night lighting modules would be released?

No night lighting but it does use the default night lighting.  I also heard rumors that people who install FTX Global will get the night lighting that comes with that product.  I'm not sure if GEX does that too as GEX does the same as FTX Global in that it replaces all of your default textures.

Best regards,

Jim

OK thanks for the follow-up fellows.  Not sure I want to venture into this although it would be great to switch off the regular + Orbx land and run with photo scenery for certain types of flying.

I would have to come out or retirement to afford this.

I would be interested in seeing photoreal for Canada and Alaska, especially since source data for that area is really bad. While I would like them to revisit each state and add autogen, night maps and seasons, it won't happen because the amount of work involved in that and the increaed cost because of it and as noted earlier, some think what they are getting is already too expensive..

I would love to see the Caribbean done in 30 m/pixel photoreal, that would be something with accurate water masks and HD mesh.

I only have the southern half of the US, and my 1TB Raptor is about full.  I can't imagine what sort of HDD array would be necessary for the entire planet.  And the cost is becoming a factor.  But, I can see that those who live in other parts of the world (Europe) would be very interested in MegaSceneryEurope.  I love MSEv2.

Western Europe is pretty well covered by Photo Scenery...UK, Irish Republic, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. Then there are projects partway done...Poland, Italy. Many of these are free.

I recevied an e-mail message with a notice for imminent release of MS V2 thisTuesday.

I was excited and went and looked at my MS So cal and MS V1 scenery folders and noticed that they have two folders one with a bunch of bgls in folder "scenery" and another folder titled "Texture" containing agn files where I believe are the photo textures.

I was thinking I can use the same bgls containing autogens and leave behind the the textures agn files from V1 and so cal and use the high resolution textures from MS V2

But when I looked at the Texas V2 folder, it only has a folder titled "Scenery" with bgls. it has no "Texture" folder and hence no agn files. Hmmm..so in V2 they have all the photo scenery files as bgls.

What would happen if I bring over the V1 bgl files (that contains only autogens) into the V2 folder "Scenery that has bgls with photo textures..would they jive?

Any ideas?

IF they don't then no way I am losing my autogens and trees in CA.

I heard the Autogen from V1 or from FSX will not work in MSE V2.  Maybe in the future.  Now, if you have MegaSceneryX SoCal, you could place that higher up in the Scenery Library than MSE V2 California and that will trump out that area and the surrounding areas will be MSE V2. 

They are suppose to come up with an announcement on what they plan on doing next as California is the last State in the Continental US.  Maybe Alaska or Hawaii?  I am personally hoping they will fix some of the anomalies found in this latest version before venturing further.

Best regards,

Jim

Just photo textures I downloaded the Hawaii ones that was freeware and they are more than adequate..they have some clouds but not much so they are ok.. and Oahu....with all the awesome autogens not sure why this "new" version would add value. I was excited in the beginning assuming the V2 would have better color and resolution and then I could use the autogens from the previous version. But it looks like I can do that... so I am deflated with this.

Megaearth scenery hope its Canada as no vfr photoscenery or Australia.

I agree. But that would mean shelling out even more money. 

Best regards,

Jim

I think that MSE2 for the lower 48 will keep this Limey busy for some years to come.

I just got an email from MegaSceneryEarth that says that they updated the auto-installer so that now it will open the .zip file and install the .exe file.  All automatically!!  What a big help!

Now I'm glad that I have several states that I haven't downloaded yet.  I can try this new tool out.   :smile:

I'm using it now.  I like the fact it does things automatically but I'm seeing if it is faster than the manual method.  It is extracting one setup at a time whereas I was extracting 10 setup programs at a time.  And then, when installing, I was running 5-8 setup programs at a time.  I have a feeling it takes about the same amount of time as there is just no way to speed up the extraction process.  But at least you can start the Install Manager and then go about your business or read and post here on AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

I heard the Autogen from V1 or from FSX will not work in MSE V2. Maybe in the future. Now, if you have MegaSceneryX SoCal, you could place that higher up in the Scenery Library than MSE V2 California and that will trump out that area and the surrounding areas will be MSE V2.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier... I'm using autogen from the old Colorado v1 areas in v2 Colorado and if there are problems I haven't run into them yet.  v1 autogen isn't the greatest but it does add enough in some areas for me to keep using it.  For the earlier poster, yes I've basically moved the "texture" folder's .agn files from the old MSE v1 folders to a single "texture" folder I created under Colorado v2.

I don't know if a similar strategy will work for MegaSceneryX SoCal, however, as that product's autogen and other interactions are more complex.  As noted in another thread on the California release, I'm awfully happy with what I have in SoCal with MSX SoCal and Blue Sky, but badly want the missing piece that no one's covered yet east of the Salton Sea so any experience anyone has in strategies for combining would be of interest.  As they're all photo, I expect that you're right, Jim.  Keeping MSX SoCal higher in the scenery library will probably be all that's required there, but at the expense of some memory.

Scott

Thanks Scott for the info.  Maybe it will help someone.  Personally I do not like Autogen so leave that setting off.  It's a fps killer but understand those who like it.

I just ran that MegaSceneryEarth Installer tool and it extracts the scenery and dumps the extraction.  I use to extract the scenery, run the setup program, then delete all of the extracted programs to save space.  Now I will have to compress all of the setup programs back to the zipped version.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just to clarify, that is the way the MSE Install Manager is designed to run, it extracts the ZIP files and retains the installer EXE files because both the ZIP and the setup EXE are the same size, so there is no space saving if you re-zip the setup files.

Keep in mind the ZIP files are merely containers to facilitate downloading without Internet Explorer/Anti-virus software kicking up a fuss when downloading an EXE file. The ZIP files are not compressed, the compression is applied to the installer EXE files so there is no advantage in keeping the MSE installers hidden within a ZIP archive.

Hope that clears it up.

To me, if PC Aviator have said they have an announcement which really demonstrates the Earth being in the name, that suggests they are really moving 'out of the box', the box in this case meaning the US, as it's where all of their current scenery has been based.

Hawaii and Alaska would be beautiful! ..... but being US states (and the only real choice they'd have, US-wise, now that the Lower 48 are complete), I wouldn't say that really demonstrates why it's called MSE 'Earth'.

So maybe somewhere in Europe, or maybe Australia? NZ? (there is some great source data for NZ apparantly; it's been used on a freeware XP10 project recently).... maybe somewhere really 'out there' like Iceland?

The world is our Oyster!

MSE V2 USA is it for me.  I did some flying yesterday and there is just too much here to see and do.  I had a nice flight from Las Vegas to KSFO and I had never seen anything more spectacular flying over the Sierra Nevada mountain range and into the Yosemite Valley.  I did another flight from KLAX to Phoenix too and again very impressed with the wing views.  BTW, speaking of Phoenix, as I was entering the glideslope, I noticed a message at the top that Phoenix Sky Harbor airport just went into demo mode.  I don't own the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and can only assume FlightBeam has a demo in the Addon Manager (I own FlightBeam KIAD)?  I probably will purchase it in any case as I like that takeoff or destination location. 

Best regards,

Jim

It is now a real new feeling with MSE v2 to fly the 32 VFR legs from The American Southwest by Philipp Tiemann (covering California, Nevada and Arizona).

I'm using it now.  I like the fact it does things automatically but I'm seeing if it is faster than the manual method.  It is extracting one setup at a time whereas I was extracting 10 setup programs at a time.  And then, when installing, I was running 5-8 setup programs at a time.  I have a feeling it takes about the same amount of time as there is just no way to speed up the extraction process.  But at least you can start the Install Manager and then go about your business or read and post here on AVSIM.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

yes it could be done manually possibly faster, but with the Install Manager, it is far less stressful and you can just set it, go make a coffee and watch some TV and come back and it is all done for you, and less chance you might miss an installer and hence have some gaps in the scenery too. :)

Hi Jim,

Just to clarify, that is the way the MSE Install Manager is designed to run, it extracts the ZIP files and retains the installer EXE files because both the ZIP and the setup EXE are the same size, so there is no space saving if you re-zip the setup files.

Keep in mind the ZIP files are merely containers to facilitate downloading without Internet Explorer/Anti-virus software kicking up a fuss when downloading an EXE file. The ZIP files are not compressed, the compression is applied to the installer EXE files so there is no advantage in keeping the MSE installers hidden within a ZIP archive.

Hope that clears it up.

Well said :)

To me, if PC Aviator have said they have an announcement which really demonstrates the Earth being in the name, that suggests they are really moving 'out of the box', the box in this case meaning the US, as it's where all of their current scenery has been based.

Hawaii and Alaska would be beautiful! ..... but being US states (and the only real choice they'd have, US-wise, now that the Lower 48 are complete), I wouldn't say that really demonstrates why it's called MSE 'Earth'.

So maybe somewhere in Europe, or maybe Australia? NZ? (there is some great source data for NZ apparantly; it's been used on a freeware XP10 project recently).... maybe somewhere really 'out there' like Iceland?

The world is our Oyster!

Next up will be MSE2 Hawaii which will include all islands. Beyond that we are not saying as yet, but there will be more :) Naturally, being photoreal scenery we have to have a fairly decent source of imagery availble for any particular country or area to create the texture files. So not every country on earth can be covered in decent photoreal textures, but we have identified a number of countries moving forward which we plan to do, in conjunction with updates to existing MSE2 products as needed.

It is now a real new feeling with MSE v2 to fly the 32 VFR legs from The American Southwest by Philipp Tiemann (covering California, Nevada and Arizona).

Glad to see you are enjoying the new real scenery experience!