Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Can PMDG enable FMC control via Internet IP address?

Well, dang. I was reading this thread and was really looking forward to purchase this app, but now I have 2nd thoughts.

I really wish PMDG and this guy can work things out, as it sounds truly awesome.

I hope so too, just bought it yesterday and LOVE it! So much more 'realism'!

Please sort things out....

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

This is the next best thing, something good always has to have a bad ending, hope this isn't true. :( These are 2 great products the compliment each other.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Has anyone thought about a plastic overlay for virtual cdu for your ipad/android so the buttons can become 'clickable'?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

plastic overlay for virtual cdu for your ipad/android
you can try to glue some bubble wrap on your ipad :-) thought the touch screen may not work anymore  :Peace:

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The SDK does not support reading or writing to the CDU (with very good reason) - if the author of this application has hacked into our dlls to do this then he is in very clear violation of our EULA. He certainly never contacted us before selling it.

It would be great if PMDG would consider bringing out their own avionics suite with CDU and networked undocked gauges (PFD/ND/EICAS/etc) so there would be no violation of the EULA. 

This thread (and multiple others) show there is a demand for such a product (your other competitor also brought out a cockpit builders edition). 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this Virtual CDU interfacing with the NGX the same as with the FDS, OpenCockpits, VRInsight, etc?  Via the SDK?  It requires the Broadcast option to be enabled so I "assumed" the data was just being fed into the "display" just like the other products.  So why would this be in violation of the EULA?

And a screen overlay with tactile buttons would be awesome!

Tony

It would be great if PMDG would consider bringing out their own avionics suite with CDU and networked undocked gauges (PFD/ND/EICAS/etc)
consider this petition signed by me. +1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

It would be great if PMDG would consider bringing out their own avionics suite with CDU and networked undocked gauges (PFD/ND/EICAS/etc) so there would be no violation of the EULA.

They've already indicated it's something they'd like to do at some point.  Where it lies in the queue is anyones guess.

Tony

The EULA violation is there because this product does not use the SDK. (well it does use it... for some things, but not others).

Unfortunately PMDG does not allow the content of CDU screen to be read (Ryan says this is for a good reason - I don't really see it, but I guess he knows and the underlaying reason is good).

The SDK allows for CDU control. That means it accepts button pushes sent from outside. So far so good.

What it does not allow for, is, as told, the screen. The external CDU products would normally use a small display that shows actual CDU screen gauge.

One way this may be possible is an undocumented SDK feature. This could be in either for PMDG internal purposes, or for trusted partners (if PMDG does this sort of thing), or a leftover from non-entertainment versions (if PMDG does that).

In this case, definitely expect the 777 to have this closed, and I would also expect the NGX after SP2 to have the hole closed

(in conclusion... don't buy it right away, wait for what PMDG have to say)

There is maybe one other method that I think might be used, some actual hacking going in there. But I don't know if that is actually feasible. I won't comment on that.

edit: I will be reporting the post myself, hopefully it will get to Ryan or Rob. I wouldn't like to have it stay here if they don't want this on the forum.

Well lets hope they manage to work with the developer. This is app is exactly the kind of thing we need developed for FSX, would also love to see the lower EICAS able to work on a tablet.

Personally I think it would be brilliant if they just employed this guy to build apps for them & then locked of any other developer from building a similar app.

Rob Prest

Well that's disappointing to hear.  If, indeed, there is something nefarious going on then I can understand the problem at hand.  But also hope it's understood how hugely useful and needed something like this is and they find a way to work a solution.  The benefits to the community I think are pretty clear.

Tony

It is a great app, and clearly has support.

Not really a helpful post from 'Tabs' who intentionally, or by mistake just sounded bitter that someone's done a good thing and it wasn't PMDG.

A great example of the community showing what they would like, and not being told.

Great solution for cockpit builders and the rest of us!

--

Martyn Pearson

Not really a helpful post from 'Tabs' who intentionally, or by mistake just sounded bitter that someone's done a good thing and it wasn't PMDG.

I don't think this is the case at all.  It's simply a matter of if this guy violated the EULA or not.  Hopefully, no matter what the case, there can be some sort of agreement so we don't have to lose this great app!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I don't think this is the case at all.  It's simply a matter of if this guy violated the EULA or not.  Hopefully, no matter what the case, there can be some sort of agreement so we don't have to lose this great app!

Hey klamal,

I guess what I really meant was that there's no evidence or supporting comments to say how the app works, but by 'Tabs' posting that message, its put doubt on the product, when he hasn't actually proved there to be anything wrong here. However, that post my now put people off buying the app, and that means the guy the created something the community want, will potentially lose sales and reward for his effort.

If PMDG posted saying, we have investigated and the way this app works in violation. Then so be it. But they didn't.

It's not beyond PMDG as a software company to investigate first, and then to make an educated post.

I guess I feel defensive for the guy, as the app is a good example of what can be done and great development for our hobby.

B)

--

Martyn Pearson