Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Can PMDG enable FMC control via Internet IP address?

Will this app support all PMDG planes with FMC or just the 737NGX?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Will this app support all PMDG planes with FMC or just the 737NGX?

at this moment it only supports the iFly and NGX 737s i understand. But compared to what you would have to have paid for a hardware CDU this is a 'no brainer' as the OP already said earlier.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Purchased just now! Fantastic and incredibly fast responsive, great and must have app IMHO!

I hope the author can develope something similar for PFD/ND of NGX.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

I hope he will make one for the PMDG 777 once that's released as well!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

If you have it on battery, it is probably better if it goes. If you have it plugged in, you can easily setup the device do never go to sleep (as long as plugged in).

Other than that, you can use likes of Tasker to make sure it won't go off when the app is running.

virtual cdu has its own settings option to prevent display timeout whilst connected to fsx.

but, you'll use up a tablet's battery on a 3hr flight, so set it up on charger for longer sessions !!

for now, cheers

john martin

virtual cdu has its own settings option to prevent display timeout whilst connected to fsx.

but, you'll use up a tablet's battery on a 3hr flight, so set it up on charger for longer sessions !!

with my iPad i should be able to do a 10 hr flight, batterywise ...

additional bonus is to be able to take your tablet to another room, monitor the no. of miles to your TOD and return to the cockpit when your input is required.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Purchased just now! Fantastic and incredibly fast responsive, great and must have app IMHO!

I hope the author can develope something similar for PFD/ND of NGX.

Works very good for me (asus TF7007T), although I can have a little bit of a (very tiny) delay sometimes due to my wifi setup being a bit far from my 'puter.

Installation is very simple and straight forward.

Thanks for bringing that app up in this topic.  :Peace: 

Plan on getting this tomorrow. I hope the dev focuses on the pmdg 777 next.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

I just picked up Virtual CDU after reading this thread and it works with the NGX on my iPad like a charm.  What I see on screen is mirrored perfectly on the Virtual CDU.  Setup was really a breeze and it worked first time.  Didn't have to fiddle at all.  Great find!

Tony

That's a great question- I suspect right now it may only be "a few" of the payware planes, but it would be worth you writing to the developer, PM me and I'll give you his email. I actually had purchased the VRInsight CDU-II and disliked the lag time between pressing a KEY on the CDU and when it 'showed up' on the FMC on the PC displaying XPlane. Not exactly instant. This app flies! Put that with the GARMIN PILOT app and your tablet will be your new best friend, and for FAR LESS COST than a Flightdeck Solutions or VRInsight 'hardware' FMC, both of which use a mini VGA monitor, and with the accompanying performance hit.

I really can't get over the 'new reality' of FSX. It's like it's reborn. All these software products playing nicely - a dream come true. You'd think I was on the Garmin payroll, I like that Pilot app THAT MUCH. Has RW weather map (moving) just like on the evening weather report - and your plane flying the route. You can modify the route during flight, and bookmark common routes for future use. The SAFE TAXI alone sold me, that app is GOLD (and a part of Garmin Pilot). Can hardly wait for the PMDG 777. That will be INSANE.

And hats off to ORBX FTX Global. $99 makes FSX into something special. That's really all I needed plus the usual suspect Payware airports and Rex Essential Plus OD.

If you have it on battery, it is probably better if it goes. If you have it plugged in, you can easily setup the device do never go to sleep (as long as plugged in).

Other than that, you can use likes of Tasker to make sure it won't go off when the app is running.

My Samsung Note remains plugged in at all times, and I purchased the "monkey hands" stand to hold it up in a tilted position, which is IDEAL. It never sleeps until I press the upper right side switch.

It tops the FlightDeckSolutions unit which sells for $1000 USD plus $40 shipping to west coast USA., also running AirReporter which gives me instant METAR and pressures at my common airports, plus the S-note app (the Virtual CDU has a notepad app built-in FYI)

with my iPad i should be able to do a 10 hr flight, batterywise ...

additional bonus is to be able to take your tablet to another room, monitor the no. of miles to your TOD and return to the cockpit when your input is required.

Ah, you must not be using realtime ATC, C'est Nez Pas?

With respect, the Italian gentleman who programmed Virtual CDU for Android/iPad and offers it for twenty bucks - GOD BLESS HIM! What a great product and reasonable price! I bet even Captain Randazzo would be impressed at this software! I love it!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Robert what's this gar in app you speak of? Sounds interesting. Is it a 430/530 emulator for fsx? Seems like its subscription based. I would love to have a gns 430/530, g1000 on my ipad that will interface with FSX. I hope someone will come out with these tools one day. It will really take flight simming into the next level.

Just used the virtual CDU. Man... Whole new level of immersion.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

What I found was really nice with Virtual CDU is that I paused FSX, turned off my iPad, had some dinner, came back, turned on my iPad, hit reconnect on the Virtual CDU display, unpaused FSX, and everything sync'd up immediately.  All over my wireless network.  No headaches, no fuss.  Just works!

Wish I could afford the FDS CDU (would love the positive tactile feeling of the buttons), but just haven't been able to justify the cost yet.  So this fills the need perfectly for now, or maybe even permanently.

Hope the developer does one for the 777 (but I'm sure he will).  Hats off to him for a job well done!

Tony

Robert what's this gar in app you speak of? Sounds interesting. Is it a 430/530 emulator for fsx? Seems like its subscription based. I would love to have a gns 430/530, g1000 on my ipad that will interface with FSX. I hope someone will come out with these tools one day. It will really take flight simming into the next level.

Garmin Pilot.  Available for iPad/Android.  Yes, it's subscription based.  My suggestion to all:  Download and install the app, it's free no obligation for 30 days.  If you want to see how "SAFE TAXI" works, you will need to plunk down $24 for a year of that service it isn't free during the demo.

Once you play around with this thing and see EVERYTHING it can do, you will be stunned and amazed.  As nice as the Virtual CDU is, the Garmin Pilot blows it away.  Did I mention it has all the charts including high and low enroute?  All the procedures?  All the frequencies for every airport.  Can handle TEC routes including airways with entry/exit points.  As far as I know, it is about $99 a year, which is $8 a month.  But then you have the real deal Electronic Flight Bag on your tablet.  It's hard to imagine things getting any better than that, unless your wife lets you buy and build a full-motion Level D 737NGX sim in your home office!

What I found was really nice with Virtual CDU is that I paused FSX, turned off my iPad, had some dinner, came back, turned on my iPad, hit reconnect on the Virtual CDU display, unpaused FSX, and everything sync'd up immediately.  All over my wireless network.  No headaches, no fuss.  Just works!

Wish I could afford the FDS CDU (would love the positive tactile feeling of the buttons), but just haven't been able to justify the cost yet.  So this fills the need perfectly for now, or maybe even permanently.

Hope the developer does one for the 777 (but I'm sure he will).  Hats off to him for a job well done!

The tactile feel of the FDS CDU is indeed appealing, and that's why I bought the VRInsight CDU-II unit- but the way it is implemented is a buzz-killer.  A mini-VGA monitor requires a connection to your Video card, and that extra monitor being driven during flight WILL have an effect on your sim frames.  It has to - you are now writing data off ONE CPU and ONE GPU to TWO (or more) Displays.  Simple physics says more work is less performance.  Thus you encounter LAG, and you also discover that the 'expanded display view' on the mini-monitor (CDU) doesn't "exactly" fit the area - the LSK and RSK's don't quite line up properly.  It's either too big or too small, 'just right' seems a pipe dream.

OTOH, the Virtual CDU knocks me down because it expands to fill MY ENTIRE TABLET, so it's nice and BIG, and the response time to touch button presses is close enough to "INSTANT" to make me smile.

Did I mention $20 vs $1040?

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Ah, you must not be using realtime ATC, C'est Nez Pas?

With respect, the Italian gentleman who programmed Virtual CDU for Android/iPad and offers it for twenty bucks - GOD BLESS HIM! What a great product and reasonable price! I bet even Captain Randazzo would be impressed at this software! I love it!

no realtime atc indeed, but 10 hrs with the 737 s too long anyway. just making the point about battery life of ipad.

btw i think the gentleman from the virtual cdu is brazilian, not italan, no?

there may be a little issue with the exec button not lightning up now and then or am i the only one who haa experienced that?

Antoine v Heck
---