Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Can PMDG enable FMC control via Internet IP address?

no realtime atc indeed, but 10 hrs with the 737 s too long anyway. just making the point about battery life of ipad.

btw i think the gentleman from the virtual cdu is brazilian, not italan, no?

there may be a little issue with the exec button not lightning up now and then or am i the only one who haa experienced that?

I'm not sure if he is Italian or Brazilian.  One thing for sure, he is BRILLIANT.  

The exec button would not light up for me until I put the line in the 737 Config file about the SDK.

Also, your AntiVirus software will advise the file is not safe, I think the dev might have cheaped out on the security certificate, and I can't say I blame him.  Those program validation certs are pricey, if my memory serves from my days in that occupation.  I've had nothing but joy since I bought this app.  The link above has the full installation procedure for Virtual CDU (for Android/iPad AND setting up the IP link to your FSX PC.  It's one of the easiest setup/configurations I have ever done.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Take a look at Foreflight. It's the same thing as Garmin Pilot. 75/yr I believe. Most of the same features. With another cheap app it interfaces with FSX. Instead of a real gps signal, it reads your lat/long from fsx. What's really cool about these apps is that they're used in real aviation.

Man, I have a Nexus 10 tablet so this sounds great. One question, when running does it prevent the tablet screen from going to to sleep mode (the screen shutting down)?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

There is an option with the app to disable auto lock/ sleep.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Just got Virtual CDU, love the immersion factor until the passenger in 22F turned off the wifi mid flight and wrecked the CDU :P

I don't see how useful virtual cdu would be. It's not difficult to set up a close zoomed in view of the cdu with ez dock and just click with mouse to set up. Now the flight1 b200, sure very useful because the keypad is down on the floor. I guess if you don't have ez dock maybe. But just buy ez dock and then you can have another chart or app on your tablet. How would you read off a chart on your tablet and use virtual cdu?

I don't see how useful virtual cdu would be. It's not difficult to set up a close zoomed in view of the cdu with ez dock and just click with mouse to set up. Now the flight1 b200, sure very useful because the keypad is down on the floor. I guess if you don't have ez dock maybe. But just buy ez dock and then you can have another chart or app on your tablet. How would you read off a chart on your tablet and use virtual cdu?

I use ezdok and have FMC dedicated view, you have always to programm FMC by mouse. I can assure that Virtual CDU is unachievable, the fact you can handle fmc by finger like in real life is very impressive! I suggest you to try, it's fantastic

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Would this app also work with two tablets and showing FMC 1 and FMC 2 each on a separate one? I am specifically talking about the PMDG NGX and two iPads here.

And I'm not just starting to think how cool it would be to have the new checklists and procedures screen from the PMDG 777 on a tablet as well. Hope they will add support for that very soon :)

you're missing the point here.

Think of how fast you will be able to change an approach when atc orders you to do so, you do not have to click for you dedicated fmc view and you do not need to use your mouse to type, insert and confirm. You just do it with your 'Tablet turned into hardware CDU' with your fingers.Also, cross checking the map display and the information on the CDU when in STEP mode for the LEGS page now is much easier. so its more like the real world.

I'm not sure if he is Italian or Brazilian.  One thing for sure, he is BRILLIANT.  

The exec button would not light up for me until I put the line in the 737 Config file about the SDK.

I Agree with him being brilliant

The exec button issue appeared after i had done the config sdk entry in that ini file. However, i is likely that the reason was connected to reloading a restored fsuipc autosaved flight after crashing into a building whilst taxiing (that can happen when you play with virtual cdu instead of watching where you're going :)). After creating a new flight, all was OK again.

Would this app also work with two tablets and showing FMC 1 and FMC 2 each on a separate one? I am specifically talking about the PMDG NGX and two iPads here.

And I'm not just starting to think how cool it would be to have the new checklists and procedures screen from the PMDG 777 on a tablet as well. Hope they will add support for that very soon :)

In the settings page (iPad in my case) there's an option to switch to either captain's or 1st officer side.

So, perhaps it is worth trying that with 2 tablets with different settings. perhaps it works ? i don't know.

although the software on the FSX PC that serves as the communicator to the tablet may only have room for 1 instance of the app but i hope i am wrong

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

hm, virtual cdu must be impressive indeed. will consider to get that one, too, to fly with the NGX until the T7 is out and hopefully supported by the app. once tried airview or something like that to 'drag' the FMC to my ipad screen but that was such a hassle, sync took sometimes minutes, no instant update. from the reports here I understand that virtual CDU is much better in this context.

hans, in itunes it says under v1.1 changes:

- Added support for iOS 5.0
- Added option to prevent display timeout
- Fixed support to First Officer CDU

the latter may indicated that it supports what you want. but you may want t o contact the developer.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I use two iPads with Virtual CDU where one is set up as the captains and the other one as the FO's FMC and it works flawlessly. One iPad is a first generation running iOS 5.1.1 and the other one is an iPad 3 with iOS 6.1.3. They both perfom equally well and without any lag at all. I've also tried the app with my iPad mini but I think the screen is a tad too small.

I asked the developer if he was planning to support any other add-on and he answered "sure, any suggestions" and I gave him some but he hasn't responded since.

To me this really is the only working FMC solution. I've tried all those splashtop and what not, apps but they all need you run FSX in windowed mode which is no go for me. Virtual CDU also supports iFly 737 in FS9 and FSX! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

i really want to buy the virtual CDU but, do you need to have the CDU window open inside FSX for it to work or it can be closed?

No, you don't need to have the CDU window open. 

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Bought virtual CDU last night. Excelent app simple to use.

No windows are displayed at all the interface application that you download to your PC just runs in system tray in the background.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Krister how do you set it up to have 2 independent FMC's for PMDG 737? Could you explain?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Aaron, very easy! In the iPad you go to settings (the settings icon) and scroll down in the left column til you come to the section with a listing of apps. There you find Virtual CDU, press it and to the right you can choose "CDU side".  In other words on one iPad I set it to Captains side and on the the other iPad to the First officers side.

You can also change the display type between green and white and activate "Prevern display time out" so the ipad won't go into sleep mode.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------