Sign in to follow this  
HiFly

The Charm of the Under-rated

Being a devoted customer of PMDG since FSX and the B744 FSX version, I immediately purchased the NGX and lived thru all the upgrades til present.  I was very impressed with the attention to system detail and like most of the rest of us, I was patiently waiting for the T7 release.  But then someone mentioned the MD11 and I had totally forgotten about it.  I knew it just hadn't been a big commercial hit for PMDG and I assumed it was because it was not up to their usual high standard of complexity.  The only negatives that I was able to gleen from the forum, however, concerned cosmetics... the textures of the VC, etc., which meant nothing to me.  With the exception of the NGX, which I do fly from the VC, I fly all my other simulations using the 2D panel and am more concerned with the accuracy of the systems and flight dynamics than the eye-candy.

After studying the promo on the PMDG website I took the plunge (partially because it was being offered at a discount...couldn't pass that up!)  I have spent the last couple of weeks totally immersed in flying the MD11 and I am very impressed.  Everything about the model is superbly done...the systems, the flight dynamics, the failure performance, etc.   I really cannot understand why

any serious aviation enthusiast would have passed this one up!   In many ways I find it surpasses the NGX.   The plane responds on the numbers and the ability to load passengers in particular seats affecting CG is something present in the B744 and in this model but noticeably absent in the NGX.  Another example is the lighting.  PMDG has not realistically simulated the exterior lighting on the NGX model.  The MD11, however, is just like the real thing.  You can see the position lights bold and brightly from a distance and when in landing configuration with full night lighting you can see the light beams in the air and the lights are intensely bright.  They also illuminate the runway surface AHEAD of the aircraft (not beneath it like the NGX).  Very realistic indeed.

While waiting for the T7, I highly recommend you try the almost forgotten and truly under rated PMDG MD11.  It is a challenge and a pleasure to fly.  Time to breath some new light in this gem.

Just my opinion, of course.

Another example is the lighting.  PMDG has not realistically simulated the exterior lighting on the NGX model.  The MD11, however, is just like the real thing.  You can see the position lights bold and brightly from a distance and when in landing configuration with full night lighting you can see the light beams in the air and the lights are intensely bright.  They also illuminate the runway surface AHEAD of the aircraft (not beneath it like the NGX).  Very realistic indeed.

Huh? The NGX's exterior lighting is *vastly* supperior to the MD-11's in basically every possible way. The MD-11 is literally using default FSX .fx file lighting while the NGX's is built into the model and uses the 3D\volumetric technique that allows it to light up objects and so on. We had tons of real life photos taken from the cockpit - the landing lights are as close as they can get to reality within the confines of the FSX graphics engine. A lot of people think taxi and landing lights are these super bright things that illuminate the ground for a mile ahead of the aircraft or something like that - they aren't, they're quite dim actually in real life.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah, I don't get the comments on the lights either. It's like he's seeing the opposite of what is true lol.

But yes, the me-11 is awesome

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

A lot of people think taxi and landing lights are these super bright things that illuminate the ground for a mile ahead of the aircraft or something like that - they aren't, they're quite dim actually in real life.

Don't tell the ground handlers that... You never hear the end of it when aircraft taxi on to the bay with the taxi light still on... Whinge whinge ''My eyes!!!''... lol

Hi Craig,

I must agree with you in terms of the MD11 being a fantastic representation of the aircraft from a system perspective. Also, like you I find I have overlooked it and have recently started using it again.

I always used to fly using 2D panels, because I never found a VC cockpit that was truly convincing. I always found the environment difficult to use in my mind, but with the introduction of the NGX all of that changed. It is an immersive and beautiful representation of the VC and it has massively increased the satisfaction I get from my sim flying. The only downside is that earlier airacraft VC's now looked dated in comparison!

However, there is very much still a place for the MD11 and I truly enjoy the aircraft and its sytems.

Regards

Mervyn

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Don't tell the ground handlers that... You never hear the end of it when aircraft taxi on to the bay with the taxi light still on... Whinge whinge ''My eyes!!!''... lol

Yes!!!  I actually referenced that in recording #2 last night, but didn't mention it the last time for some reason.  One of the rampies I supervised tried telling me that the lights have some type of super harmful radiation.  I was like "other than being super bright, it's no worse than glancing up at the sun for a few seconds; you're right though - they should have been off.  I'll talk to the crew."

Kyle Rodgers

Ah, yes, the MD-11 is superb! Even though it is not as up to date with all the advancements PMDG made with the NGX everything is still there in terms of systems and flight dynamics. Truly a pleasure to fly.

Yes!!!  I actually referenced that in recording #2 last night, but didn't mention it the last time for some reason.  One of the rampies I supervised tried telling me that the lights have some type of super harmful radiation.  I was like "other than being super bright, it's no worse than glancing up at the sun for a few seconds; you're right though - they should have been off.  I'll talk to the crew."

Should turn the WXR on and point it down...Then he will know what super harmful radiation feels like (Although most are locked from radiating when weight on wheels is detected).

The NGX lighting is awesome! I love departing at night and watching the FO turn on the landing/rnwy turn off lights. But the strobe flash on the ground still amazes me to this day. No point in criticizing PMDG on their level of detail, because they always deliver with the best tech available at the time. Amazing what they can do with such an aging platform. (FSX).

My buddy works TAC at Westjet in Calgary.  He told me he saw an American Airlines jet taxi in with strobes, taxi, landing, wing, nav all on.  They left them on at the gate for about 30 minutes.  I said it must have been a very thorough walk around, but taxiing in like that?  A little dangerous.  

Hello,  With all the hype surrounding the T7 and the improvements of the 737ngx, I have to admit that the MD11 has taken a back seat as far as I am concerned for some time now.  Recently a bug got into my PC and I had to do a re-install after that was cleaned the thought of the MD11 came into my mind and today I did a flight from EGPF-ENGM some 550miles and the aircraft flew as sweet as a nut, no problems whatsoever with an excellent landing.  No doubt the T7 will be an outstanding aircraft but I am more interested in the forthcoming 747v2 as this beauty is something to behold in flight and with the upgrade should be even better.  There is no way about it but PMDG have got us all spoilt.  Richard Welsh.

I also hauled the old MD11 out last night, for a flight from FIMP to FALE. Was really rusty considering this is the only plane I have taken on a round the world trip, but that was some time back. But what a great plane it still is.

Showing its age now compared to the NGX and T7 beta videos, but you can see how with the MD11 PMDG was really starting to flex their muscles in the sim world with systems programming and things like variable cockpit lighting (some developers are still nowhere near the MD11 on VC lighting!).

I used Simbrief.com to plan my flight and fuel loading, and on the flight log the MD11 was spot-on with fuel usage and waypoint times. At touch down had used a bit extra due to traffic delay, otherwise would have been exactly on time (5mins late), and on target with fuel. So PMDG got the fuel usage nailed in this sim as well.

Rob

Robin Harris

Agree with the charm part for sure. It is possible that i get into the 777 freighter once its out but the MD-11 is just so much fun to fly. She also has a mean streak if you don't treat her right.

That old girl is a beauty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While waiting for the T7, I highly recommend you try the almost forgotten and truly under rated PMDG MD11. It is a challenge and a pleasure to fly. Time to breath some new light in this gem.

I rarely fly my NGX or AXE anymore. I've been hooked in my PMDG MD-11 and 747-400... the PMDG heavy's are spectacular!

My buddy works TAC at Westjet in Calgary.  He told me he saw an American Airlines jet taxi in with strobes, taxi, landing, wing, nav all on.  They left them on at the gate for about 30 minutes.  I said it must have been a very thorough walk around, but taxiing in like that?  A little dangerous.  

Hmm - seems like they had a problem to me. Very odd to forget ALL of them like that.

Regarding the OP - yes, the MD-11 is much under-appreciated by the community. They are missing out for sure. I love it so much I bought it twice (first time was for FSX at release, second was last year to fly it in FS9). OK - so it maybe isn't as technically as advanced as the NGX in terms of the modelling and lighting - but who cares - at 30000+ ft you can't see them! The VC is sparse like the real thing. Textures need some updating, but that's all. The systems simulation is one of the best they ever did.

Best regards,

Robin.