Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Orbx Northern Ireland Released

this is the difficulty Orbx now faces. even with all the explanations about what Global is and is not and how it is not anywhere near the full fat region packs you still get comments like this.

Absolutely. Even after many months of previews and info, weeks after release, it appears some people still don't understand what FTX Global is. Perhaps Orbx made a mistake branding it under the FTX label.

On the original topic, I've not picked up Northern Ireland yet. It's the first Orbx region I've not purchased on the day of release. It's a little bit disappointing to see the full price charged for such a small region. The value for money isn't there like it was in their previous releases. Then again as others have already pointed out, there are plenty of single airport sceneries out there that cost the same or more than this.

I'm also slightly less than impressed that the latest preview of the version 1.1 update for FTXG mentions nothing about DX10 compatibility.

On the wider subject of the Orbx UK releases not being of the same quality... I don't know. My expectations were realistically set, I wasn't expecting a 100% recreation of my country where I could fly over my house and recognise each and every landmark and point of interest. Familiarity with the region also helps highlight things that aren't quite right or are missing. Most of us UK simmers were more than happy with Australia and the North American releases as we aren't familiar with these regions.

Just to keep things in perspective, look at what we had five, ten or fifteen years ago with regards to UK scenery. The progress has been remarkable.

I think going forward Orbx will have quite a challenge to keep their feet on the ground and not get too carried away. I think perhaps they bit off more than they could chew in 2012/2013. Perhaps they need to re-focus on what made them so popular to begin with.

Why does the info blurb state "30700 sq.kms" of scenery? Northern Ireland is 13800 sq.kms. Does this product cover "Northern Ireland" (the area that constitutes part of the UK), or northern Ireland (as in, the northern part of Eire and NI combined? I am struggling to understand where they get that figure of "30700", unless that was simply a mistake.

EDIT: It's worth noting that Scotland is roughly 30400 sq.kms. I wonder if they have accidentally used the figure for that region?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

From the Google map they have on their site, it seems to extend a little bit over the border into the Republic, but not by much, so I'd say it's an error on their part. 

I bought it this morning ad will be installing it this evening to see how it is. Looking forward to them doing the Republic.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Why does the info blurb state "30700 sq.kms" of scenery? Northern Ireland is 13800 sq.kms. Does this product cover "Northern Ireland" (the area that constitutes part of the UK), or northern Ireland (as in, the northern part of Eire and NI combined? I am struggling to understand where they get that figure of "30700", unless that was simply a mistake.

EDIT: It's worth noting that Scotland is roughly 30400 sq.kms. I wonder if they have accidentally used the figure for that region?

ORBX have changed the no. to 14.000 sq km.

Any ideas on where the Isle of Man fits into the Orbx plan.Looking at the .kmz on google maps its not covered so far. 

Surely this will have to be freeware ^_^

I know there isn't a massive market for it but it is a great location to fly the Q400

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

As someone who buys every region, this is the first one I'm not buying.  I don't understand why NI was released without mesh and without a highly detailed airport...as they felt the need to include it in Wales due to its small size.

Out of curiosity, has the departure from GA airfields by ORBX come from sales of the EU GA airfields, or all GA airfields in general?  I still get excited about NA ones.

From the Google map they have on their site, it seems to extend a little bit over the border into the Republic, but not by much, so I'd say it's an error on their part. 

I bought it this morning ad will be installing it this evening to see how it is. Looking forward to them doing the Republic.

Regards,

Ró.

Let us know what you think of it!

Any ideas on where the Isle of Man fits into the Orbx plan.Looking at the .kmz on google maps its not covered so far.

Surely this will have to be freeware ^_^

I know there isn't a massive market for it but it is a great location to fly the Q400

they already said they aren't doing Isle of Man as earth simulations have it covered

Then global should have cost thousands!

It's not just the coverage that influences the prices.

-Iain Watson-

NI i believe costs in Sterling about £19 for 14,000+ Sq Km. I O M it would appear costs in the region of £35 for considerably less area coverage.

ES Isle of Man is a super detailed scenery package that includes a lot more than ORBx FTX Northern Ireland.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

they already said they aren't doing Isle of Man as earth simulations have it covered

Good to know. Thanks for the info

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I need to correct a statement I made earlier in this thread regarding the price of FTX Northern Ireland. I said that it was the same price as FTX England, but that is incorrect. In fact, it is barely more than half the price.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For those of you who haven't bought Northern Ireland, you're definitely missing out. Not going to get into a discussion about price or mesh, but this region has taken the superb work they did on Scotland and improved on it even further. The atmosphere created is an extremely good representation of Northern Ireland - ok, so I am originally from there (lived there till I was 18), so I am a bit biased :)

Cheers

Jack

Jack Johnston

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

I decided to purchase FTX Northern Ireland last night......my first ever ORBx product. I wanted to be able to use UK2000 Belfast Aldergrove Xtreme (impossible with default scenery, due to the awful visuals), and I have been assured (by another user) that it works and blends fine with the FTX product. This was the perfect opportunity for me to "test drive" an ORBx regional product, because it does not conflict with any of my UK photographic scenery.

I will let you know what I think.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png