Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dighost

FYI.. Norton Antivirus detects virus

Norton Antivirus just quarantined the "Opscenterupdater.exe" file and classified it as a "Suspicious.Cloud.9 virus".    This even after I set install folders for exclusion.  

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

People still pay for antivirus software...?

It's free if you have Comcast internet. 

People still pay for antivirus software...?

Even worse...people still use Norton

It's free if you have Comcast internet. 

I have Comcast (unfortunately) and I will never install Norton.

This.

What decade do you live in? Norton works fantastic these days with VERY little if any impact on performance.

I use Norton and my 3 year old computer runs like it is brand new. I think the world of Norton and nothing seems to get past it.. Nothing.. It is expensive though.. I did not realize you could get better protection for free.. Somebody point me in the right direction please..

FYI. 99% of the earth's population know that Norton is one of the worst softwares out there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

99% of the earth's population know that Norton is one of the worst softwares out there.

Founded on what may I ask? People more often believe what others tell them without finding out for themselves.

I havent use Norton for decades. It may or may not have got better but once a products reputation has been sowed into consumers minds it very hard to change that.

I've had Norton myself as it often comes with a new computer. Nr 1 it detects viruses that's out of sense, and nr 2 it does not detect the viruses other apps does detect. Just search Norton on Google and at the first page it's something negative about it. People believe what others tell them because the others had had bad experiences.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Norton holds its own and then some against ANY of the antivirus products out there in both protection AND system performance. For every complaint on a product there are thousands of other users for which the product runs flawlessly.

I had the same message I deactivated Norton for 15 minutes till installation completed, I have Norton for years and you have to learn how to use it properly and exclude certain folders from virus checking to get it working. 

Oh god Norton...

Best A/V I've ever used: ESET NOD32. Low profile, updated several times per day, excellent program! Would highly recommend that!

No virus warning with MSE - is that good or bad?   :P

I guess it's good,but then the whole of M$ is a virus,so does a virus detect a virus?

Typical Norton "nanny knows best" performance, taking control of your system and preventing you installing what you know is safe. Antivirus programs do sometimes find false positives but they should give you the option to override. In my experience installing Norton or Mcafee "internet security" is worse than being attacked by malware or a virus.

Obviously if you've paid for Norton then you will find reasons to like it, but the truth is there are free a/v programs which do a better job.

but the truth is there are free a/v programs which do a better job.

Who's truth though? Perceived? Just as a paying user will find reasons to support it, others who don't want to pay for a/v may simply think the product they use is better because it's free.. Not saying Norton is the be all, end all of antivirus by any means, but it is pretty damn good. Ignorance says otherwise.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372371,00.asp

I've used Norton for literally decades.  It's the best AV software out there if you know how to use it.  Norton360's the simplest version yet, and most reliable.  Like all complex software, it requires some mastery.

I'd rather it register false positives I can then review than let all sorts of crap slip through because it's "easier on the system."

I have no problems with it interfering with anything else I do.

Is it bad I don't use any antivirus? Bought one and it broke my wifi driver...

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Anti-malware paid version are what I'm using, no problems whatsoever with anything. 

Regards

Joona L

There is no need for an anti-virus. Just be smart, don't download suspicious things and don't go to strange websites. Simple enough. I ditched antiviruses 3 years ago and I still have not had a problem.

And back on topic, some antiviruses are just to suspicious, its something you have to live with.

I remember being in a IT conference and after the event was almost over Norton reps got up to speak and 2/3 of the room left.......lol

Every time I go to clients home to clean out malware, virus, ....etc, Norton and McAfee are mostly installed.  I do admit that Norton is getting better in performance, still sucks and detecting anything.   McAfee is just crap all around.........better to use Microsoft Essential Security   :O

I use Eset Nod32.