Sign in to follow this  
davecat

PMDG 777 vs LevelD 767

I have both and the 767 was my favourite plane for a long time starting with the 767PIC for FS2004.  I think with the PMDG777 you get 6 or 7 years worth of additional experience in building complex addons which means better graphics but more than that the depth of the sim, in particular the implementation of the failures system is just in another world vs. what the LDS767 provided.  Sounds are also way ahead.  Both great aircraft sims but the 777 is ahead by a long shot in 2013.

Mark   CYYZ      

I don't own it, but have flown the LD767 on a friend's computer.  I already had the NGX and the Level D unit seemed slow and glitchy, graphics not so great.  I bought the 777 today and I think i'm in lust...  Well worth the 90 bucks.

Kattz out.

One nice feature is the autocruise. No need to wait 12h before doing your approach and landing. You can do your 12h flight in only 2-3h real time.

Stephane

vpa055.png

Ok, I guess I'll go ahead list out some of the features PMDG has over LDS:

- Fully functional VC. No FMC pop ups required (but are available nonetheless)

- Photorealistic textures taken from actual flight deck

- Dynamic lighting and variable flood lights

- Custom exterior lights including ground reflections and strobe and beacon splashes

- Customized sound, with randomized switch clicking sounds and groundroll

- Details like fonts and colors matching to the actual displays

- The ECL has got to be tried to understand how advance it is

- The Korry switches and their face plates are actually modeled in 3D. (LDS' overhead is flat.(

- A lot of systems modeling that you can't see but you can see the effects, like heat soak from the brakes and the cabin heating in the sunlight

Those are just some of my favorites. Of course there is also very faithful systems and AP logic that PMDG is known for. LDS was great in its days and I did prefer their planes to PMDG's, but the age difference is very obvious. 

I love the LDS 767, probably my favorite airliner ever. But Don't get me wrong, The 767 and the PMDG 777 aren't on the same league... Simple as that.

I thought 89 dollars was very high, still think it is, but the first moment you enter that cockpit, you see every penny you invested is worth it!! Very VERY rare to have this feeling with modern addons. To make it in perspective, the 89 bucks of the 777 is worth every penny just as much as the LDS 767 was worth every penny in 2006!

Alexis Mefano

I got the LDS 767 with in minutes of it's release Feb 26th 2005. It was under 40 dollars. I think it was under 35$ at release. How much is it now? 55$. That is a 8 year old piece of software. So the T7 should be priced the same? While the LDS is a awesome piece of software it doesn't come close to what the T7 can do. The graphics and all the functionality aren't close. To think it isn't worth the 90$ tells me you aren't serious about what you get from PMDG for that 90$. You want it cheaper? Buy the competitor who sells their unfinished, bug loaded software for 66$.

Richie Walsh

Ok, I guess I'll go ahead list out some of the features PMDG has over LDS:

- Fully functional VC. No FMC pop ups required (but are available nonetheless)

- Photorealistic textures taken from actual flight deck

- Dynamic lighting and variable flood lights

- Custom exterior lights including ground reflections and strobe and beacon splashes

- Customized sound, with randomized switch clicking sounds and groundroll

- Details like fonts and colors matching to the actual displays

- The ECL has got to be tried to understand how advance it is

- The Korry switches and their face plates are actually modeled in 3D. (LDS' overhead is flat.(

- A lot of systems modeling that you can't see but you can see the effects, like heat soak from the brakes and the cabin heating in the sunlight

Those are just some of my favorites. Of course there is also very faithful systems and AP logic that PMDG is known for. LDS was great in its days and I did prefer their planes to PMDG's, but the age difference is very obvious.

Add to that:

- automatic time compression to drastically reduce cruise time for long hauls

- winds aloft data can be imported from Active Sky directly to the FMC

- a huge amount of customizable airline options that can be changed in real time via the CDU's

- ground services, push back, refuelling, loading, and realistic, adjustable ground turnaround procedures all via the CDU's

- Incredible textures and modeling inside and out, as expected they are vastly improved when compared to the Level D 767

- service based failures, with adjustable wear rate

- automated livery installer

- cargo version

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

I guess it's state of the art when the 767 came out vs state of the art 2013.

Not all 777 routes are interstellar in length, Ethiopian Cargo does Addis Abba to Cairo 3.5 hr as Addis is hot and high so planes are performance limited etc.

Guest Q_flyer

Hey Davecat,

LDS767 certainly was a great airliner for FS (and still is, apart from the texturing quality which has not aged gracefully).

But you get so much more with the PMDG777.    It is just beautiful in every respect.    

For routes:-        Bear in mind that Emirates only have a widebody fleet (apart from some A139 private jets), so you can fly your 777 in Emirates colours, out of FlyTampa Dubai and fly 2-3 hour legs, fairly realistically (ok, a lot of the shorter Emirates flights are on the A330 but I said semi realistically :lol:).

I'm in FS heaven flying the PMDG777 out of FlyTampa Dubai. :cool:

From your passion for the LDS767, I think you will love the PMDG777.

I prefer PMDG 777 as it doesn't make my FSX to crash on every second start up or so like Level D DLL file does whenever it's installed. Nobody in the support forums managed to offer me any help with this either...

In terms of systems and visuals the PDMG 777 has come a long way in comparison with the leveld 767.

The flight dynamics however feel about the same , i don't think in that area there have been many improvements.

Marcel van Santen 

OP, sounds like you want to be convinced to purchase the PMDG T7 or you're protesting its price, I can't tell.  But it is clear that based on how you like to fly you should not purchase the T7, because the Level-D 767 is good enough for you.  Some folks buy the T7 because they just want to have the latest, and some because they want to fly a well-modeled T7 simulation, not just a large aircraft simulation.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library