Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

My Graphics Card is now a Minimum

Back when I owned my AMD 965 Black Edition, I purchased a "killer" graphics card, an MSI 560ti Twin Frozer.  That card has served me well for a couple of years.  Even when I upgraded my MB, CPU, and memory to Ivy Bridge, my graphics card could hold its own.  I flew the NGX with no graphics issues, especially using DX10.

Enter the 777.  I immediately noticed that the minimum graphics card memory recommended by PMDG is 1GB , exactly what my 560ti had.  I know what PMDG means by minimum.  No additional addons, minimal performance, etc.  I was pleasantly surprised when I loaded up the tutorial flight and didn't have any issues.  30 fps, crisp graphics, smooth operation of EZCA and LINDA, etc.  However, about half way through the flight things started getting buggy.  View changes started getting jumpy, still views stuttered occasionally, and click spots would not work all the time.

By the end of the flight, nothing works.  EZCA doesn't move my views, the cursor randomly jumps to mouse yoke mode, the airplane jumps modes and malfunctions; it is a nightmare ... unflyable.

So I guess it's time to look at a new graphics card.  I thought FSX was CPU intensive and the graphics cards had little bearing on performance.  Has anyone else had this problem?  September is going to be an expensive month.

Is the 777 that graphics intensive?  I'll be happy to upgrade if need be.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Dennis, in another thread, I'd seen a screenshot of your display settings, and I said to myself,'Oh, look, another 560Ti user'. Okay, I may not have EZCA,LINDA, etc, but I'm running the same card except mine's a Gigabyte, and touch wood, so far I've had no issues with either the NGX or this T7 My Q6600 CPU is only running at 3.02GHZ until I build the new Haswell-based water-cooled rig sometime soon, I always believed FSX to be CPU-centric rather than GPU-centric. I was thinking of getting the 760 later, but it then becomes a collection of cannot-be-used graphics cards if I religiously go for the latest 'fastest' GPU, etc.I already have a fine working EVGA 460GTX SE gathering dust.

Dennis, i am running GTX460 / 1GB, so even less powerful than yours, and have no problems as u described.

Flight is smooth from beginning till end.

Maybe there is something in ur system, maybe it is not graphic board ... ?

Artur 

am running GTX460 / 1GB

im also using the same Vcard and is doing the job but its almost time for a newer workhorse .......

Image removed as image is no longer available.

If it makes you feel any better Dennis, my GTX580 will be minimum before the next PMDG release.

As to your issues, try removing the card and re seating it. Check for any large build up of dust etc.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I'm also running a 560Ti (Gainward) with 1 GB of memory, an i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz, OpusFSX for views (comparable to Ezdok) as well as for weather (using FEX cloud & sky textures) plus lots of add-on sceneries, and have no issues whatsoever with the T7.

Stefan Keller
ngxu_banner.png                 

ugcx_banner.png

Dennis,

We are being conservative with the minimums this time - we had a lot of people with the NGX writing into us with really low end cards or using onboard Intel video and then claiming to us that it was above minimums because it was DX9 compliant and had 512MB of RAM. The 777's texture load is actually lower than the NGX's is and a 560Ti is not a bad card. If you're trying to run extremely high resolutions or AA settings then maybe you'll run into an issue, but I doubt it. We just didn't want people writing in with super old or underpowered GPUs demanding to know why it didn't work or perform well this time, so we set the minimums at a higher level.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I also these kind of issues. EZCA stops responding, but works again after closing and restarting ECZA again. My ECZA camera occasionally moves a few centimeters back so that it is inside the seat and thereby causes unclickable clickspots(need to move the camera forward again). The T7 instajumps 200 feet due to what I think is Opus windshifts. I get he jumpy views each time ECZA stops working, but everything is fine again after restarting ECZA. My biggest problems is the OOM's I'm getting on approach on longhauls((KJFK-EGLL)no addon airports, all scenery not flown from/to disabled, LOD 4,5, cloudtextures set to 512x512, textures is 1024, UT2 at 40%), but I guess thats another issue:-)

So all in all, I think this is a problem with ECZA, maybe even Opus, not your GFX card:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Nothing wrong with the 560Ti. It is by no means a dead card yet. Certainly not as far as FSX goes.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Dennis,

We are being conservative with the minimums this time - we had a lot of people with the NGX writing into us with really low end cards or using onboard Intel video and then claiming to us that it was above minimums because it was DX9 compliant and had 512MB of RAM. The 777's texture load is actually lower than the NGX's is and a 560Ti is not a bad card. If you're trying to run extremely high resolutions or AA settings then maybe you'll run into an issue, but I doubt it. We just didn't want people writing in with super old or underpowered GPUs demanding to know why it didn't work or perform well this time, so we set the minimums at a higher level.

Ryan, that is great news.  I kept hearing how the 777 was getting better performance than the NGX, and I was perplexed.  I'm going to investigate the actual card seating as Julian suggested.  I was also re-reading the intro. and I noticed I did not have the very latest FSUIPC (4.90 vs 4.92), so I'll check that out today as well.  I'm feeling much better about not shelling out $1000 for a Titan, because that's the way I roll whenever I upgrade. (except for automobiles:)

I also these kind of issues. EZCA stops responding, but works again after closing and restarting ECZA again. My ECZA camera occasionally moves a few centimeters back so that it is inside the seat and thereby causes unclickable clickspots(need to move the camera forward again). The T7 instajumps 200 feet due to what I think is Opus windshifts. I get he jumpy views each time ECZA stops working, but everything is fine again after restarting ECZA. My biggest problems is the OOM's I'm getting on approach on longhauls((KJFK-EGLL)no addon airports, all scenery not flown from/to disabled, LOD 4,5, cloudtextures set to 512x512, textures is 1024, UT2 at 40%), but I guess thats another issue:-)

So all in all, I think this is a problem with ECZA, maybe even Opus, not your GFX card:-)

Tom, I think we may have similar issues.  It might be EZCA.  But everyone has EZCA and I don't see massive complaining.  This FSUIPC issue has hope.  I don't have any problems on three hour flights with the NGX.

All you guys with no issues and a 560ti or lower ... thanks for your input.  It gives me great hope.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Dennis

Also another trick when checking your card for a re-seat is to rub the gold contacts with an eraser to buff them up from atmospheric oxidisation.

However, about half way through the flight things started getting buggy.  View changes started getting jumpy, still views stuttered occasionally, and click spots would not work all the time.

This sounds like something is overheating. What is happeing to the FPS during this time? Do they drop significantly? Have you overclocked either the CPU and/or GPU? If so, get rid of the overclock for a start.

What happens if you quit FSX and immediately restart it? Is it slow? How long in terms of *time* is it before you notice the slowdown, and is it fairly consistent?

What happens if you fly in a part of the FSX world that has NO add-on scenery (or even better, you disable all your add-on scenery)?

Best regards,

Robin.