Sign in to follow this  

DX10 and FSAA: some personal observations

Apologies if this question has already been answered but can someone confirm that Steves DX10 fixer makes the FTX Global 3D vector lights work in DX10 mode? I have seen references that it fixes the black squares but not necessarily making it clear that the lights are actually fully functional at night.

Barry Wells

Following the correct and successful installation and configuration of Steve's DX10 Fixer, I can confirm, categorically that all Orbx lights perform exactly as the authors intended, and users expected them to on the day they were released!  :Hypnotized:

How's that for an answer!  I've put a couple of pics here.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Beware of adding tweaks from unverified sources.

Most of them are no longer relevant as the power of the average PC

is now so high but some have entered FSX folklore as legends.

Legends don't stick to the facts either and by definition are stuck in the past.

I suggest you have a read of this http://www.simforums.com/Forums/different-scenarios-different-settings-thats-how_topic41798_page3.html

This is a small extract.

They are nothing to do with the paid shaded fix and should be ignored.

The only addition to the [GRAPHICS] section that is required is HIGHMEMFIX=1

Regards,

Nick

The vast majority of these obscure FSX.cfg  entries do little or nothing of value, except make FSX more unstable. What's even more bizarre are the online "calculators" that make ridiculous assumptions about the interactions among various configuration parameters. Basically, most of this so-called "tweaking"  creates a placebo effect response, because FSX users are so frustrated that the app is old and nearing the end of its life cycle.

• Upvote 1

BTW, the default AA for DX10 is 4xMSAA when the MultiSamplesPerPixel and MultiSampleQuality entries are not present in the fsx.cfg file; these two lines are "yet another tweak" whose effect is to enable user specified AA levels beyond this default.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Thanks for the prompt reply Paul I'm on the way to get my copy now.

And thanks for taking the time to put up a great set of pics.

Regards ~ Baz

Barry Wells

Firstly - as I've only just spotted this useful thread - many thanks to all contributors!

Luckily, over the months of successive independent tweaking, I've arrived a pretty well what's been suggested, so no huge differences of opinion here!

A further performance 'assist' can be gained by not loading the scenery areas where you never fly in - e.g perhaps Africa, Asia, the UK, Europe, etc.. These can be unticked in the Scenery Library

No disrespect, Paul - are you *sure* about this? I mean "in the spirit of let's try a comparative test"? ;-) :lol:. I've heard many scenery designers (and I suspect some ORBX ones at that) say that it makes absolutely no difference: FSX just loads what it needs as and when.

Having collected far too many sceneries over the years (don't tell *HER*!), my list is as long as my arm. I've tried toggling redundant sceneries off and found no difference when actually flying, though (possibly) a longer initial load time.

Thanks odiferous one :) I wasn't aware of the GPU monitor in NI.

+1 ... well spotted!

*Very useful tip* - as it can easily show you whether it's your GPU or CPU that's causing the problem. Setting all my graphics parameters to as high as possible, I still couldn't trip up my GTX580 in clouds. However - in busy airport areas, I hit max. This plainly shows that if I want to upgrade my FSX, a faster CPU would be a better option (meaning the 580 is more or less capable of delivering what's thrown at it).

He restored the default FSX wave animation

Do this exist as a set of textures anywhere (that can be uploaded/re-download anywhere)? I've had so many REX/FEX installs I'm sure my (laughingly called) "backup" textures are totally screwed. I'd hate the make that mess even worse.

And when you are ready for REX...DXT1

I gained 5-10 fps with DXT1 wave animations set in REX...much more important than I initialy thought. And I haven't noticed much difference visually.

Just a note about REX water settings for the uninitiated/confused (like me!):

DXT1 = more compression/slightly lower quality/better framerate
32-bit = little (or no) compression/higher quality/framerate penalty

Here's a quote from the manual:

"We HIGHLY recommend the use of the DXT5 compression algorithm for clouds. DXT5 is the most flexible general purpose compression codec, so
if problems are experienced using REX clouds at higher resolution, select the DXT5 setting.
The same goes for the Wave Animation setting. 32-bit is much more demanding on the GPU, thus if problems arise with the use of the 32-bit setting, select the DXT1 option."

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Do this exist as a set of textures anywhere (that can be uploaded/re-download anywhere)? I've had so many REX/FEX installs I'm sure my (laughingly called) "backup" textures are totally screwed. I'd hate the make that mess even worse.

I installed FSX on another PC (not in any way equipped for or up to the task of serious simming) just to maintain a 'virgin' copy of FSX whenever the need arises to consult it for the original files.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I installed FSX on another PC (not in any way equipped for or up to the task of serious simming) just to maintain a 'virgin' copy of FSX whenever the need arises to consult it for the original files.

Great idea - many thanks. I think I actually have an old PC with a redundant (old) FSX on it. A quick basic re-install would do the trick.

Not connected, but adding to my previous post - with respect to the NVI GPU display. I tried again with a more complex set of clouds. My system does indeed max out the GPU (no surprises there, then :lol:)!

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

If using 4x sparse grid supersampling- which number AA in fixer do I have to chosse,

In doubt how I read how they are matching each other??

If using 4x sparse grid supersampling- which number AA in fixer do I have to chosse,

In doubt how I read how they are matching each other??

Hello everyone . just saw this thread and the amount of info. in it is amazing . anyway may i ask whats the difference between override any application setting AND application controlled for the antialiasing mode in NI . same thing goes to anisotropic filtering mode , there is user defined / off AND application controlled , whats the difference ?

cheers

Hello everyone you can disregard the previous question . after thinking about it i realised that its a stupid question ( no wonder no one replied back  :LMAO: ) my "new" question is why does jeroen have the antisotropic filter optimization off and the one after it also off ? also what's the difference between high quality and high performance texture filtering ?

Cheers  ^_^

I can't make aircraft shadows get antialiased, is it possible?

FSX, DX10 Fixer, NVidia Inspector, SweetFX, and I just noticed that the absence of FXAA is great (much crispier image) and everything else is just amazing (overall AA and lack of shimmering), except for the aircraft shadows on the ground.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto