Sign in to follow this  
Wolflikespie

Why are flight simmers so rude to each other?

I wish I could vote Tom up and Larry down for their respective statements ...

Good on ya Ollie!  You've just earned 2 points :lol:  Oh wait i did lol

rep_zps315a943b.jpg

Chris Sunseri

Nicely put Matt...

U

Actually I remember when I first got into simming proper, that was a relatively short time ago, my first forum was Aerosoft's and there was a guy there who seemed to think he had the right to come down on me for asking the simplest of questions. My reaction was to almost finish with the forum and go elsewhere. It was only by someone sending me a PM and explaining that not everyone acts like that and I should ignore him as he is known for being a complete dickhead. I have returned several times and found him to be a sad individual who seems to be more intent on trying to show how clever he is with his words than he is in helping anyone, he is of course the worst type of character. In fact I'm sure many of you know who I'm talking about.

That guy Snave was a real jerk to say the least and I am really surprised Aerosoft let him go at it for so many years.

Surprisingly though, Aerosoft has finally banned him. I was surprised when I visited their forum today and saw the post saying he'd been banned.

The funny thing is, he seemed to be a smart guy and knew what he was talking about, but his approach to helping people was really bad. Maybe he'd had a lot of rotten things happen to him and he used the forum as a way of lashing out at people. Who knows, but he was a real stinker on any forum he visited before they banned him.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am very glad to see that so many others have given their voice to this. Hopefully we can all continue to keep things nice around here for the future generations.

There is no point in giving CPR to a corpse. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

There is no point in giving CPR to a corpse. :rolleyes:

Ron what you do with your Friday nights is no-one's business but your own!

"Whenever a thread gets a little rise in my blood pressure, I don't click Reply! Instead I open Notepad or some other text editor and type a response into there. I walk away from it and then come back to proof read and edit it. If at that point I still feel like it is worth posting, then I post it. Most of the time I trash these replies without posting them, it just isn't worth feeding the fire."

Good tip, that's what I sometimes do in my work replies too.

Saving text before sending has been a long time practice for me as well, especially at work. I would not want to be new at flight simming in the present time trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work, what's good, what's compatible??? And to find out that if you ask for help someone might respond with indignation  because the responder figured it out a long time ago? This stuff would be hard to figure out even if we were all born with Flight Sim as a bedtime story every night.

Keith Guillory

That guy Snave was a real jerk to say the least and I am really surprised Aerosoft let him go at it for so many years.

Surprisingly though, Aerosoft has finally banned him. I was surprised when I visited their forum today and saw the post saying he'd been banned.

The funny thing is, he seemed to be a smart guy and knew what he was talking about, but his approach to helping people was really bad. Maybe he'd had a lot of rotten things happen to him and he used the forum as a way of lashing out at people. Who knows, but he was a real stinker on any forum he visited before they banned him.

I've not been around here for a long time, but that character snave was banned from every flight sim forum that I ever visited.  Interestingly, he never bothered to change his user name so everyone knew who he was and despised him equally across all of the forums.

AVSIM has come a long way and the participants here have calmed down considerably.  Perhaps Tom had had enough and cracked down.

It's good to see some of the old faces still around and getting along.  It's what made this hobby interesting. 

I had to google snave, as never heard of or had to deal with him. Absolutely shocking, not sure why someone like that was allowed to represent a company. It's true people don't read manuals, or sometimes don't search, but to speak to paying customers like that, wow, shocked :O

I had to google snave, as never heard of or had to deal with him. Absolutely shocking, not sure why someone like that was allowed to represent a company. It's true people don't read manuals, or sometimes don't search, but to speak to paying customers like that, wow, shocked :O

He was NOT(!) employed by Aerosoft or represented Aerosoft in any way. Just an Aerosoft customer hanging around on their forum.

He was NOT(!) employed by Aerosoft or represented Aerosoft in any way. Just an Aerosoft customer hanging around on their forum.

Still it seems that the moderators or site owner was on his side, and people take this personally. Pretty much as it seems presently on the x-plane.org forums with a certain moderator.

Good ol' Snave....... We butted heads pretty darn catastrophically when I first arrived back into flight simming. He's actually where the term "Forum Bull" came from!! After being very very shocked, I got angry, dug in my heels and fought back.... politely.

He and I came to what I hope was a level of mutual detente; wary on my side, since there were some sharp teeth there that were still being used with abandon on other hapless guests, whose occasional screams as they were verbally torn to bloody shreds were..... intensely dismaying.

Very smart person, and very proud of his own "bluntness"

You never forget your first Bull.  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Still it seems that the moderators or site owner was on his side, and people take this personally. Pretty much as it seems presently on the x-plane.org forums with a certain moderator.

That seems to have changed ( :P). "Read the full story here":

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/74360-loss-of-power-on-longer-flights/?p=532379

That seems to have changed ( :P). "Read the full story here":

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/74360-loss-of-power-on-longer-flights/?p=532379

Yes, I saw that a while ago. I was very surprised. The forum "aura" he helped create was part of the reason I eventually drifted away, and I always thought he might be a large contributing factor to the relative "deadness" of those forums, which was a shame. I really liked hanging there, once. :(

Years ago, I and others raised the point privately to no avail.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Reluctantly I found myself reading this particular thread with a (surprising) flood of buried emotions. It seems I have personal thoughts that cry out to be shared with my comrades here. I have come to believe that too much of my recent life has been poured out in the AVSIM gladiatorial arena. That is nobody's fault but my own (lopsided priorities and all that)!

Now that I have been (worn out and quit, fired, pushed aside, bullied, resigned due to ill health, disgusted, or whatever, doesn't matter...) officially rendered a nobody once again, (as if being a forum authority made anyone a somebody), I can freely write what I think, sort of. Not violating my oath of confidentiality and loyalty no matter who says, implies, or does what, matters to me. However, open reflections of my contemplations on some matters introduced in this thread should be acceptable to most, without (I hope,) being accused of indulging in over the top, holier-than-thou pontification.

About Jim Skorna, I have been waiting to say this for a long time: Jim is a jerk! Who really, deep down inside disagrees, honestly? But! ...and this a big but, as brash, belligerent, belittling, abusive, abrasive and anal retentive (what does that mean anyway?), and obnoxious as he is, he can be taken at honest face value, up front and open. He does not pretend to be one thing and act behind the scenes, another, unlike many at all forum levels here and everywhere.

There are too many of us that are far less honest than Jim, that exude pretension and self-promoting duplicity, or just as bad, enjoy kicking up a storm, raising H.E Double Hockey Sticks like a juvenile delinquent, making decent interactive conversation an exception to the rule. Even so, many here have proved the hard, long way, to be the salt of the earth (You know who you are, and have my deepest personal respect). They (most often diplomatically), say what they mean and mean what they say, sincerely, even when doing so with fear and trembling.

Some in the past, and recently in the here and now, have criticised me for failures and excesses that have categorized me amongst the transgressors and oppressors worthy of becoming an outcast. I reflect upon the many times I have looked upon some of you the same way. To the extent that I am guilty, I ask your forgiveness and pardon. Life is too short (I really mean that) to carry this kind of useless baggage. 

Final Insight that I wish I had said as the Forum Chief:

"The most frustrating to me, as an AVSIM authority was when members, otherwise good fellows all, cleverly carve each other up, yet being careful not to plunge the blade a little too deep at any one time lest they be seen and "moderated." How many "here" have been wounded, and how many "there" have been assassinated by a flurry of small cuts ruthlessly rendered in the name of "telling it like it is"?

That's enough... I better stop here before I dig too deep a hole and hit a power line, fall in and get bulldozed over! Please don't delete this post!

Nice to see you all again.

Merry Christmas!

I am...