Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

P3D 2.0 Now Released

I'll have to agree with Jim on this one.

LM is a defense corporation that is only concerned with maximizing profits for shareholders. I suspect that LM has identified a revenue stream with P3D as perhaps, military hardware sales are off.

Let's not forget, the community is their test bed. A few things could happen, they can be satisfied after testing and bugs are sorted out and cut off the community, or they will decide that the ROI is not great enough and close down P3D.

Or, they can have this going in perpetuity, and we can all join in on the action.

Either way, we are very much grateful for the opportunity to participate, but the community alone cannot prop up this project, and if LM does not get its return on investment then...they will not hesitate to pull the plug and take the write down.

I for one hope this is the future, but I would not be surprised if this is not a long term option for the community.

I think the future of a common simulator for the community rests with either Aerosoft, ORBX, or even Google. Unless XPlane's UI improves, then they maybe a good contender.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Is LM any different to Microsoft?  Remember Microsoft?  And what they did.  :mad:

Is LM any different to Microsoft?

LM is fundamentally different to MS in this case.  LM is an aviation company.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

LM could care less about the FS community. They are in the business to provide a simulator platform to their clients and to make as much $$ as possible for their stockholders. They could pull their support at a moments notice and you'll be holding an empty bag with nothing to fill it with.

Jim. Are you still spouting your nonsense? Microsoft pulled their support for your beloved platforms years ago. Let it die ..... really.

I used to have a lot of respect for your contribution to this hobby ...... now you just sound like a lonely old man whose only ambition in life is to stop this hobby from moving forward on terms that you will accept. Move on ..... please.

Guess the truth hurts! Others agree with me so maybe my "nonsense" makes more sense than you think?

Support for "my" platforms? I don't need no support for those. They are running just fine, thank-you!

Oh, and by the way, LM is not developing anything with the hobbyist in mind.

Let me know if you need help on adding me to your Ignore list and I'll be glad to walk you through the steps!

Some people find your posts to be on the harsh side, Jim. 

As for me, I always find a good amount of humor in your posts and made me LOL probably more times than any other member.

One need only look at the DoD and USAF budgets to understand that they are *really* getting crunched these days.  We're sitting down active duty flying units and letting crews go noncurrent and even non-qualified due to lack of flying hours.  So low-cost simulation sure seems pretty marketable right now.  I used to be the guy in charge of USAF programming and budgeting for advanced simulations...I see growth in relatively cheap M&S as a necessity to offset the shrinking availability of butt-ugly-expensive flying hours.

Heck, I saw some foreign air forces using FS2002 in their formal flight training programs.  So LM has a potential foreign market to think about as well.

FWIW, Microsoft's purpose with MSFS was also "to provide a simulator platform to their clients and to make as much $$ as possible for their stockholders."  There's nothing nefarious about making money for the stockholders, unless maybe you're a commie.

Cheerio

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guess the truth hurts! Others agree with me so maybe my "nonsense" makes more sense than you think?

What truth are you talking about here? Others may agree with you and of that, I have no doubt. Even the worst of the worse world leaders have or have had supporters (i.e. those that support them), even on that long lonely walk to oblivion.

Support for "my" platforms? I don't need no support for those. They are running just fine, thank-you!

Then why do you ramble the following nonsense if the potential of losing support does not worry you (or those that you are so eagerly trying to get behind you and "protect")? 

LM could care less about the FS community. They are in the business to provide a simulator platform to their clients and to make as much $$ as possible for their stockholders. They could pull their support at a moments notice and you'll be holding an empty bag with nothing to fill it with.

If you firmly believe that then I think the correct term should be "LM could NOT care less" etc. Regardless, enjoy the moment because Microsoft also, could NOT care less about the FS community.

Oh, and by the way, LM is not developing anything with the hobbyist in mind.

Correct. So what? As I said above - enjoy what we have been given and stop complaining. Life is too short to try and find worthless political fantasies on which to bang our drums.

Let me know if you need help on adding me to your Ignore list and I'll be glad to walk you through the steps!

Why would I add you to an ignore list? Every media has its equivalent of its own cartoon series, sometimes serious and sometimes quite irrelevant. You just happen to be mine because at the end of the day, I really do get a laugh out of your posts. 

See you on the dark side maybe?  :Peace:

Is this the correct forum for the Haters Ananomous roundtable?