Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Never seen the FS Community so divided as now.

Sorry guys...wasn't dissing FS9. That one has already matured into a permanent utopian nirvana for its enthusiastic users.

So what's going on? Why is everyone still sniping each other over their platform of choice? I've been guilty of it too, but not anymore. We have 3 great options for flight simming and never have the options been better.

Speaking as a (VERY) old timer, I have often looked back at what I call the "good old days" and how flight sim hobbyists used to help and support both themselves and the developers in order to move this hobby forwards. But since then a number of factors have slowly been coming into play to create what I call the "Flightsim And Chaos Theory" (FACT for short).

Do any of you remember the good old Compuserve flight forum? That was in the days when "joe public at large" did not have access to the internet and those of us that could afford it, had to pay so much money for access that we recognised it was both cheaper and more rewarding to help each other rather than waste our time b**ching to score a point. (FACT).

Do any of you remember when any new release of a flightsim series or brand was greeted with open arms? In those days any advance forward from those wire polygons and 1 frame per second was magical and we ALL looked at the software houses with gobs agape and hugged each other cheering loudly because non of us were in the position to say mine is better (bigger) than yours. (FACT)

Do any of you remember the early days of Avsim when freeware files were available in plentiful supply through (whatever it was).edu? Almost without exception, these files were provided free of charge after many hours work and the community would embrace and thank the authors, not for the addition, but the time that they put into progressing this hobby. At this time, if you were lucky enough to have access to the net you had to ask your parents permission first. (FACT)

Do any of you remember when we were lucky enough to have a job and some disposable income? At this stage some of us were starting to purchase product from companies like LAGO (and count ourselves lucky that a few commercial releases were available). At this time the kids had to go into the local store with their pocket money or ask their parents if they could use their credit cards. And the market remained grateful. (FACT)

Do any of you remember when we all had jobs, reasonably paid, but grateful and worked hard for that opportunity? At this time the payware market was growing, especially online, and although we may have thought twice, we would often push the buy now button. (FACT)

Do any of you remember that around this time access to the net was growing and people were forgetting to say thanks to the freeware authors and starting to gloat about their new payware addition. (FACT)

Do any of you remember us buying a simulator to learn or practice how to go cross country from VOR to VOR? We would have some PAPER charts out and if we were lucky some basic freeware programme to give us some rudimentary winds aloft. AND we could do it precisely BY HAND often not even thinking about the autopilot. (FACT)

Do any of you remember how we were in awe of the PIC 767? And how we were all lucky to be able to learn how to programme the FMC and switch on the autopilot? We were getting lazier and yet oh so proud, not of the fact that the freeware industry was contracting, but of the fact that we too could afford such a brilliant piece of software and we were grateful for it. (FACT

Do any of you remember the boasting and gloating that really started when a new model was released with the perception (often created through forums) that it was better in every way imaginable? At this time people were starting to queu up to try and be the first and therefore boast about being the first to push the buy now button and throw their new found prize up on the "net" for all to see. The boasting created the natural reaction by others to defend defend their prior existing purchases. After all nobody likes to hear that "mine is bigger than yours". (FACT)

Do any of you remember when we recognised that the consumer market had changed to the point where it suddenly came to the point where the comments were dominated by "When, when when"?!!!! At this time the comments had become demands and the freeware authors were looked down upon by many of our hobbyists. Also at this time people were online 24 hours a day, often during work hours (not working, but expecting to be paid) or on their new smart phone that they had upgraded the year earlier, demanding the release of their new "toy" (sometimes in a txt language that shows pure laziness) (FACT)

Although the above was written very much tongue in cheek, I guess it comes down to a combination that consumerism has hit this hobby to such a point that most people have forgotten the basics and would rather deal with their boredom by either gloating or defending. Sadly many people would not understand where I am coming from because they have yet to learn that they are now part of what some employers refer to as the disposable society where expectations have outgrown common courtesy and the ability to look at the wider picture. In other words, sometimes we need to go back to basics to make us appreciative of what we have now.

As in the immortal words from a Monty Python sketch ... "And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you." !

Wow..m what a post!

I'm not a very old river but even I can remember when the community was like that

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to break your hopes. X-Plane has never done in the past so good, as it's doing now. The last months saw a plethora of hi-quality add-ons and of new developers entering the X-Plane market. :good: But if you think less competition is desirable for the end user, good for you...

I had no hopes to break. I have nothing against X-Plane and of course I don't think less competition is desirable. I don't think you understood the intent of my post. It was simply to convey my feeling that many went to X-Plane out of desperation due to a sense that FSX was dieing (despite this being a fantastic year for FSX add-ons there's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig). P3D finally looks like a viable evolutionary path for FSX users and developers. My prediction is that X-Plane will be left out in the cold. Thus they will rue this day. I could be wrong of course. :rolleyes:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

"Flightsim And Chaos Theory" (FACT for short).

I got 10 out of 10  :lol:

1. Yes I remember Compuserve well. I also remember paying around $150 a month for my usage on that server through my phone line on a 2400bps modem. I also remember my brothers picking up the phone in another part of the house and cutting off my connection half way through a download.....Good times, Good times.

2. I also remember waiting in anticipation for the next MSFS release. I also used to call around the shops asking 'Have you got the new Flight Simulator yet?' I also remember getting a prank call from my Girlfriends Mate back in 1995 who secretly recorded one of those phone conversation and went home and put it on a synthesizer and called me with different voice levels that said 'Have you got the new Flight Simulator Yet?' Goes to show how ridiculous I was to be pranked like that  :lol:

3. I do remember the early days of Avsim and the treasure trove of freeware goodies back in those days that kept immersing your Simulator experience.

4 and 5. yes this is key as well. I had far more disposable income back in the 1990's then I do today. Those years I was in my 20's working long hours as a Mechanical Engineer so lots of disposable income.....Today I am a Home-Moaner (home owner) so no more disposable income. I recognize this is really common in our hobby now.

6. yes the Internet was new for many and so Etiquette was something more common place then today.

7. I still have many paper charts from back in the 90's and have some new ones that replaced the old. It was more fun planning a flight on Paper with a proper Flight Computer (Whiz Wheel). I still have all those tools today.

8. I will never forget PIC 767 and how proud an accomplishment it was mastering the FMC....Something I used to consider very high tech and now see it antiquated. I prefer the days of wonder to be honest.

9. I still think PMDG gives us this level of excitement, they really raised the bar. I also like the Carenado models a lot for GA aircraft.

10. Agreed....for this I say "Good things come to those who wait"

Cheers Mate...Great Post

Matthew Kane

Although the above was written very much tongue in cheek, I guess it comes down to a combination that consumerism has hit this hobby to such a point that most people have forgotten the basics and would rather deal with their boredom by either gloating or defending. Sadly many people would not understand where I am coming from because they have yet to learn that they are now part of what some employers refer to as the disposable society where expectations have outgrown common courtesy and the ability to look at the wider picture. In other words, sometimes we need to go back to basics to make us appreciative of what we have now.

Well said that man.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Still running FS9 here. Seeing as I only see FSX, P3D, and X-plane being mentioned up there, I guess that makes the people running FS9 nobodies.

Hello Air Kevin,

I am a very, very happy FS9.5er. I spend my time flying instead of deliberating. :) …planning Yelizovo (PKC)-Sheremetyevo (SVO) right now. B)

I do agree the FS community does appear to be more divided than ever and feel myself shrinking away from the forums.

FWIW The only thing I am waiting for is a settings window in AES Set Aircraft Parameters. :Nerd:

Hello Air Kevin,

I am a very, very happy FS9.5er. I spend my time flying instead of deliberating. :) …planning Yelizovo (PKC)-Sheremetyevo (SVO) right now. B)

I do agree the FS community does appear to be more divided than ever and feel myself shrinking away from the forums.

FWIW The only thing I am waiting for is a settings window in AES Set Aircraft Parameters. :Nerd:

Yeah, I don't really spend a whole lot of time on the forums, either.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Yeah, I don't really spend a whole lot of time on the forums, either.

BTW I have never said I like the way you make your sim your own with your personal liveries. :Applause:

BTW I have never said I like the way you make your sim your own with your personal liveries. :Applause:

Well, one livery is mine, anyway. The other five or six belong to my friends, and they were the ones who decided on the livery for their planes. I just painted them onto the planes to their specs is all. I know one of my best friends got to see her three planes in action, although she didn't fly them since she didn't trust herself with flying them.

These days, I've been doing some live streaming along with some VATSIM flying. It's funny because when I get asked by some pilots what AK stands for, I tell them "Air Kevin", and one pilot will invariably respond with "Oh, so you're that Air Kevin guy."

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I go all the way back to the very first Flightsim. Back then, I never dreamed it would advance to the level of FS9 and FSX. It really is hard to go wrong with any of the sims available today.For you younger folks, it must be hard to really get a feel for how things have changed, but believe me we are in a different environment these days. Be appreciative of what is available to you. These are great times for all of us.

They are still selling ACOF here for almost 20 EUR.

Sascha

Use all three all wait p3d as feels like fsx with better lipstick on the pig. FS2004 flying is fuild with it and like it for wintertime weather. Xplane 10 mainly use it in Midwest as the buildings as plausible there. FSX is the devil you know and learned if you live without max settings your good to go. Think fsx fs2004 and xplane will be around in 2020 as trend noticed less games and products being made as the cost new simulator is escalating. Will see more add ons than anything.