Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Never seen the FS Community so divided as now.

It's strange actually.

1. It's a great time to be an FSX'er. FSX is still going strong with many new releases and improvements to terrain, aircraft, weather and airports.

2. It's a great time to be P3D'er. V2.0 is out with more robust memory management, future PMDG support and a seemingly bright future.

3. It's a great time to be an X-Plane'er. Great new releases like Skymaxx, Saab 340 and others. Future is looking bright here also.

So what's going on? Why is everyone still sniping each other over their platform of choice? I've been guilty of it too, but not anymore. We have 3 great options for flight simming and never have the options been better.

I'm excited for everyone. Find your sim, have a blast, and tell us why it's so awesome and satisfying.

People argue over platforms like Ford v. Chevy, Windows v. Mac, Apple v. PC. There have ALWAYS been platform arguments in the PC ecosystem, and they've never been worth taking too seriously.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I reckon the flight sim communtiy is more confused and unsure than ever before, i am a little dissapointed over the mixed reviews of P3D and despite rave reviews over X-plane recently i still can't get excited about that either.

I will stay with FSX + dx10 fixer for the moment, i can't really see what exactly i will get for my money on a stable FSX setup thats working great,although new sims new upgrades, new addons means at least i have a choice.

It is great to have 3 viable choices.

I am downloading P3Dv2 as I type this so that is what I be focusing on for the next few months

I tried X-Plane but could not get use to the UI and I also think it lacks the support of major developers at present

FSX is only loaded because the the PMDG T7

I enjoy the debate but see P3D as the future, especially now that PMDG are coming in board in 2014.

Big arguments break out whenever there's a major new version release of the dominant platform - it was like this when FS9 came out ("where are the bridges?"  "it's a flight simulator, not a bridge simulator!") and of course when FSX first hit.  X-Plane has been a bit of a different animal, since it has its own (smaller) dedicated community, though from what I can gather, there have been big debates at each new X-Plane version release.  Right now, P3D v2 is creating the same effect as a new MSFS release.  X-Plane has a bigger following, and there's more crossover, since XP10 is much improved over earlier X-Planes and since FSX has been aging.  So maybe there's a little more conflict and confusion - but it's not different from what we've seen in the past.

I'm sticking with FSX for at least another 12-18 months.  I'm happy with the way it runs on my machine and there's just no way I could park my PMDG fleet and make the switch to a different platform anytime soon.  Not to mention the 744v2 is on the horizon and that could very well extend my FSX time even further.

P3D v2.0 looks promising, but I don't want to buy another computer at the moment, plus it will give the flight sim community time to shake things out while I watch on the sidelines.  By the time I'm ready to make the switch to a new platform I want to make sure I've completed all of my homework.  Meanwhile, my FSX phone will be ringing soon for another cargo flight B)

- because I'm a consumer

and you don't like watermarks right Ollie :p0805:

Chris Sunseri

in my personal opinion i will stay with fsx until p3d v2.0 gets sorted out and everything gets stable . cause up to know there has been some mixed reviews . and as mark said "I think a year from now the debate will be X-Plane vs. P3D. " but most likely p3d will be the new "FSX" in a year from now . 

Regards

So what's going on? Why is everyone still sniping each other over their platform of choice?

Here's your answer:

1. It's a great time to be an FSX'er.

2. It's a great time to be P3D'er.

3. It's a great time to be an X-Plane'er.

It's just human nature.

Solution? Just ignore it and go for a flight using whatever platform you like.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

The most important thing is not to get sucked in to buying a product, because someone else claims how great it is on day one. Products rarely live up the hype and with something like a platform you can't really do an objective review without using it over a period of time. I'm sure there will be growing pains with p3d and this seems consistent with the mixed reviews. I'm perfectly happy in the meantime with fsx and will not start spending money until I am convinced that a new platform is ideal for me.  

(...) and you don't like watermarks right Ollie :p0805:

Most of us (but, of course, not all of us) had been consumers until Microsoft sold ESP to Lockheed Martin. How, in all seriousness, could my consumer status have changed by the deal between MS and LM?

I'm tired of the doggy FSX, and I very much welcome P3D.  However, I'm in no rush to be an early adopter.  I want to see the full picture, after the hype calms down, give time for people to discover teething issues, and for those to be fixed, and then maybe I'll jump in with version 2.1.  It just seems like that is the smart way to do things.

I'm sticking with FSX for at least another 12-18 months.  I'm happy with the way it runs on my machine and there's just no way I could park my PMDG fleet and make the switch to a different platform anytime soon.  Not to mention the 744v2 is on the horizon and that could very well extend my FSX time even further.

P3D v2.0 looks promising, but I don't want to buy another computer at the moment, plus it will give the flight sim community time to shake things out while I watch on the sidelines.  By the time I'm ready to make the switch to a new platform I want to make sure I've completed all of my homework.  Meanwhile, my FSX phone will be ringing soon for another cargo flight B)

and you don't like watermarks right Ollie :p0805:

Agree 100% Brother!

I'm in no rush to be an early adopter.  I want to see the full picture, after the hype calms down, give time for people to discover teething issues, and for those to be fixed, and then maybe I'll jump in with version 2.1.  It just seems like that is the smart way to do things.

.....and I agree too.    There can be an urge to be 'trigger happy' and buy on release, but I am hearing about things that would potentially be showstoppers to me (no vsync with ATI;  a killer for TrackIR users!), so as much as I'd love an early Xmas present, I agree that it just seems sensible to wait and see what pans out.

FSX for the time being. I did a flight yesterday in Australia with FTX and PMDG after a recent bit of tweaking and now am 110% Satisfied with the way everything is running. So I won't be tempted to try and fix what ain't broke.

When it gets to the point where developers shift focus to P3D from FSX then I will follow with the rest of the flock, until then I am very satisfied with all things FSX.....

Cheers

Matthew Kane