Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

for the lucky ones already flying V2 : graphic card ?

Other than a few very misinformed posts (which is very typical in the FS world when it comes to AMD, not always out of malice, but since so few own them...), I am really surprised no one has suggested waiting for non-reference R9s to surface.

I know old dogs and new tricks etc, especially in our community, but this isn't 2005. AMD products are are absolutely on par.

Now if buying an AMD card won't give you that "special feeling" buying an nVidia card will, then by all means, carry on.  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Brian, the simple truth of the matter is a human phenomenon known as "impatience..." It seems that all too many want what they want, and want it "day before yesterday!"

Simply look at those who install one of their favorite "add ons" and then wonder why it doesn't work as well, instead of waiting for the developer to test it, tweak it and re-release it...

Quelle surprise, n'est pas? :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Brian, the simple truth of the matter is a human phenomenon known as "impatience..." It seems that all too many want what they want, and want it "day before yesterday!"

Simply look at those who install one of their favorite "add ons" and then wonder why it doesn't work as well, instead of waiting for the developer to test it, tweak it and re-release it...

Quelle surprise, n'est pas? :lol:

I have to say I am surprised by my own patience... ^_^ So far I only installed FTX Global because it is the only addon that I have that's P3D 2.0 ready. I know I can install REX too and for instance the A2A C172 but I really don't want to mess up my install so I wait patiently until there are proper P3D 2.0 installers. Not only that, I will also wait until the addons WORK properly in P3D. (Having a 2.0 ready installer doesn't make the addon itself 2.0 ready, as various weather addons prove).

I am also patient because I want to enjoy the ride. I don't want to install EVERYTHING I own and be done (and bored) with the sim in a week. It's great knowing some good addons will become available some time. Until then I enjoy what I've got. I am also looking forward to FTX Vector and OpenLC.

Patience is a virtue. Specially when you want to keep your P3D install clean and tidy.

Has anyone yet exceeded 2 GB GPU memory usage on a single monitor at 1920x1080? If so, what were you settings?

Please keep me us posted on your experiences if you do take the plunge into P3Dv2 with your 660.  It´s a big help for us poor simmers!

So I heard some of you were interested in knowing how a 660TI handled P3Dv2?

The answer is... quite well! The first thought I had about P3Dv2 was that it was horrendous FPS-wise. However, after some time spent upon the settings, it appears to me that I have more FPS than before with more graphics. You can see my post in "Configuration Observations and Tips" for more details...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427206-configuration-observations-and-tips/

Cheers

Frederick

Just a few tips: 

- Don't turn on shadows for everything, this is absolute killer, no matter your GPU

- Turn down autogen, default P3D v2 autogen seems more dense

- Turn off "Aircraft casts light on the ground", for some reason this hits frames a lot

So I took the plunge the other day and ordered a GTX780Ti. Tonight I did a complete reinstall of Win7 and installed P3D v2 on a new, separate SSD.

The results so far look very promising. Just completed a short flight around SFO under cloudy skies in the default Maule with almost all sliders at max (shadows at medium quality, but turned on for terrain/objects/vegatation etc).

Frames were rock solid at 30FPS and smoothness was, besides some stuttering still, really amazing compared to my old setup with a GTX580. I have not even really been seriously tweaking my settings, so this is pretty hopeful I guess.

The heavy testing still needs to begin though with the AXE and Aerosoft EHAM scenery under stormy skies, which is my test scenario (AS EHAM sucks in terms of performance unfortunately, but is my fav airport and therefore most important :)). I could live with less dense autogen and without autogen shadows though, so I hope I will be allright. 

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Does anyone here actually own a TItan? I am on the fence regarding getting a 780TI or Titan, really want to make a purchase in the next few days.

I would like to know if that extra 3 gig on the Titan would make a difference?

Yes, I have Titan and have FTXG & REX E+ installed in V2.  Most VRAM usage I've seen using default planes is at 2.33Gb.  When I decided on which parts to put together for a new build I wanted headroom for whatever direction V2 was going to go and that was completely unknown at the time for me.  I also bought hexacore w/ PCIe 3.0 compatibility.  So far I'm very happy w/ performance in V2, and have been in FSX as well.    I used to buy just enough to make the current offerings run well but this last time I went for something that might cover more bases as it were just in case the newer sim engines might support it, including XP 64.  I put my entire box together for just under $3K US, and it's fabulous.  I think add'l VRAM might come into play when you bring more display area into play, so again I'm hopefully poised for that possibility.  Right now I have a Dell 1920x1200 display but am looking at GSYNC enabled screens in the future at which point I may need the add'l VRAM if I use a new GSYNC & my current Dell screen together.

What I'm still puzzled about is what additional GPU (SLI Titan) would offer.   I have to think it could be substantial because I can get GPU utilization up to 99% if I try.  The other side of that coin is that graphical differences between say Max & Ultra in any of the DX11 features doesn't change appearances all that much.  We'll know when 2.1 comes out and if it looks really favorable I may put a 2nd Titan in, God help me and my kids' future inheritance!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Don't worry Noel.. Us SLI users will let you know.. When Nvidia drops an SLI profile  the changes are SIGNIFICANT. 

Perfect example.. I was allowed a review copy of Assassins Creed 4 for PC.. This was before Nvidia released a new set of drivers that included an AC4 SLI Profile.  I was averaging 30-34 FPS max settings.. GPU usage was 50/50...   Then Nvidia dropped new drivers on release day w/ an SLI profile and my FPS went to a solid 60FPS and GPU scaling of (average) 80/80 and in some places peaking out at 90/90...

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Would the Titan bring some benefit to a 2560x1440 res.  ? The issue of knowing whether P3D can address the whole 6GB of memory is not clear to me, is it for you Titan owners ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Not a Titan owner, but what I can offer, is that the 6GB cards are really meant for multi-display SLI setups.

Even a monster like the Titan would be gasping and wheezing before it would be able to make use of all 6GB, in a single card setup.

Add 2 more of those 27" displays and a second Titan, and that 6GB makes a bit more sense, but you'd still have to push pretty hard.

780 or 780Ti makes more sense in your situation, IMHO.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Autogen+shadows can be really brutal on frames - even on the beefiest cards. I can really make my 780 GTX struggle by dialing up autogen over an urban area and turning on building shadows. No surprise the 680 can be made to struggle too.

A couple of static building shadows can make a 780 GTX struggle?

Jeez I thought P3D was supposed to be optimized.

A couple of static building shadows can make a 780 GTX struggle?

Jeez I thought P3D was supposed to be optimized.

More like several thousand autogen building shadows can make a 780 struggle. 

The shadowing doesn't only work on .bgl buildings.