Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

I can't imagine going back to FSX.

Same here.  The idea of flying into and out of New York with decent frames - staggering!

That's my problem too. ^_^ Today wasn't a really good day for me and P3D but now I've seen what is possible, I can't imagine going back to FSX.

If I remember how many 'years' it took to get FSX feeling good I'm sure the next few days and until the point releases start to appear will not exactly be a burden. :)

Edit: and 4 or 5 complete changes of hardware.

Has anybody got issues with fsx ported aircraft? The Simcheck A300 bounces like it is touching down with smoke from the tires. I probably have a scenery setting wrong somwhere. I had a couple of quick flights and was cringing at the gpu usage, then you realize this is not fsx at all, my fsx ran smooth, but this was different. I am hooked.

Sent from my Mobile thing

My money is now on P3D2 and the products that support it. The benefits of Dx11 and an updated code base to run on current systems are too significant to ignore. As devs make the switch it will be harder to look back. The benefits are real.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Once PMDG come on board I will look at making the change. Looking at end Q1 next year for that I believe. That's a solid four months for all you community testers out there to sort it out.

Don't know where to look . . there was me thinking why am I not having any problems, about to start final transition to P3D and I get an OOM reported from P3D itself, saying set your sliders down or whatever.  I have 'em no higher than FSX, was running stock aircraft over stock scenery, only Opus running as well - then whammy!   I haven't had OOM with FSX for at least 2 years.  OC'd 2700K at 4500, one dedicated 670 OC for the FSX monitor, other monitors on another 670. 16gig of RAM,  all on SSDs.  I'm sure there's a thred mentioning this but where?

Any advice welcome,  Mike

Mike you cannot have your sliders set the same as FSX, like LM have said, they are not the same, some of the sliders have the same name as fsx but they dont have the same values. P3D injects a lot more in the sim than fsx ever did. You will need to adjust the sliders to your hardware.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Just installed my 780ti superclocked ac, and I can now pretty much max out everything in Graphics, Scenery and Lighting and still get v-sync locked at 30fps. Even it sometimes drops below 30 it still feels very smooth and stutter-free.

Last night I also opened my good old FSX in DX10 and I have to say the difference is huge - no way for me to go back to FSX. The DX11 in P3D2 with shadows, enormous amount of autogen, ultra water with reflection (never even dreamed that I could live to the day of running FSX water in Ultra) is just miles and miles better. After only a few hours in P3D2 I'm totally spoiled.

P3D2 is still far from being perfect, but with modernized graphic engine its future is incredibly bright I'd say.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Im sorry FSX. I am going to have to break up our friendship. Youve been dedicated to me for 7 + years and despite all the headaches and frustrations you gave me with crashes near the end of a flight, and deplorable performance at times, I remained faithful. But its time to go. Theres a new hot chick on the block.  But hey thanks for all the memories. dont cry. Im sure you will be adopted by plenty of FS9rs soon enough. 

P3dv2 is it. Stable, no CTD, and smooth as butter. And the biggest reason, is that LM is paying attention to feedback, acknowledging , and addressing issues. Bring on V2.1!

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Just installed my 780ti superclocked ac, and I can now pretty much max out everything

What was your previous GPU and did you use it with P3D 2.0? If so, how big is the difference?

Q, just admit that your primary concern is which Michael Hall picture you are going to use for your next avatar. :O

I actually thought that was Q. Now I learn its TV star from something or other.

But hey thanks for all the memories. dont cry. Im sure you will be adopted by plenty of FS9rs soon enough. 

Now why would you say that??? Most of us are going straight from FS9 to P3D v2... Crapware is the whole reason we held out for so long...  B)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Now why would you say that??? Most of us are going straight from FS9 to P3D v2... Crapware is the whole reason we held out for so long...  B)

Awesome!  

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Will, thanks, I can try - I thought i'd left on the LM default settings, but who knows?  Also the MS Fixit for OOM and "heap" issues and who knows, the 4GB fix worked with V1.4.  I blame them cockpit shadows - I was flying over Cyprus with a lot of haze from Opus, but strangely still 50-60 FPS when it happened . . .  just so long as I don't have to touch the .cfg   ;-)

What was your previous GPU and did you use it with P3D 2.0? If so, how big is the difference?

I was using GTX 580, and the difference between 580 and 780ti is quite big. I started P3D2 with 580 and found the card was struggling a lot. In the end I learned from forums that I need to cut down on shadows, hide the menu bar and update the driver. After doing those the 580 actually gave me pretty decent performance. Unfortunately by that time I already ordered 780ti so I decided to stick with the purchase (with overnight delivery!). 780 performs better than 580 with all slides maxed and all shadow casts on, so overall I'd say it's about 2x better? But still, with 580 I feel I get about 70% of P3D2 image quality.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11