Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brenchen

Looking for a quality glider addon

Hi all,

This week I participated in a gliding camp, starting to let the bug bite.  So now when I am not flying, just wondering does anyone have any suggestions for a quality glider addon that will help me stay proficient with the gliding skills?

I have actually never ever ventured into the gliding side of FSX, therefore it would be quite interesting to see if I can actually use FSX to practice gliding.

Other than the addon, if anyone is a bit more familiar with FSX gliding, if you have any hints how to make it more realistic, I'd love to hear it :)

Thank you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Is there a particualar area and time of day that is good for glider practice?

I ask this because, I never appearred to have much luck with thermals and being able to climb even using

Cumulus X.

B.

It does not have to be payware. Check freeware SZD Pirat first. Other keywords are the above-mentioned Cumulus X, WinchX and Aerotow.

Unless you end up using ActiveSky Next, in which case you won't need CumulusX.

The Aerosoft Discus X is terrific.

Ahh the ASN... I'm not sure about that one as I didn't have a pleasant time with AS2012, not sure if I want to go for ASN this time.

Opus is no good?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It does not have to be payware. Check freeware SZD Pirat first. Other keywords are the above-mentioned Cumulus X, WinchX and Aerotow.

Yea I'm not quite sure how to get aerotow, is there pay where for that? Where I fly we use aerotow, as part of the syllabus we learn the theory of winch but we use Pawnees.

You will want to look into getting the freeware Cumulus X along with Discus X.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/395538-cumulusx-v19-released/

B.

Will I be able to look for puffy clouds and the ground to look for thermals? In RL I use the G Force (being pushed down on my seat) to detect thermal presence, what do we use in FS?

Aerosoft is working on an ASK-21, I think it is in the beta stages.  The Discus is great, as is the Pirat.  Definately get Cumulus X (consider paying the 15 bucks or whatever it was for the full version so you can really do some fun ridge running.) and Winch X

Cheers

TJ

Have a look here:

http://www.ukvga.org.uk/

for lots of good advice & links to good quality, free gliders.

Also here:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/index.php?cat=18

For an excellent T21 - which is what I just happened to solo in!!! ^_^

Cool! I was hoping to find some puchatek or PW6 as that's what I use to train on.

One thing in a glider I found which was very intriguing is the adverse yaw effect, a lot more pronounced than the powered stuff. Was this reflected in FSX?

Aerosoft is working on an ASK-21, I think it is in the beta stages. The Discus is great, as is the Pirat. Definately get Cumulus X (consider paying the 15 bucks or whatever it was for the full version so you can really do some fun ridge running.) and Winch X

Cheers

TJ

Since I am setting up for training purposes I think I will get whatever that is needed (within financial reason) to make it work like the real thing. Will certainly look into CumulusX full version as I glide the plains, but also very important, aerotow addon?

Aerosoft have been working on an ASK21 for some time now. I don't think it will be long before it's release.

Aerosoft have been working on an ASK21 for some time now. I don't think it will be long before it's release.

So the ASK21 is anticipated to be more superior than the DiscusX?

Its a fine plane, I made my solo with it. But its a trainer and certainly cannot compete with Discus.

So the ASK21 is anticipated to be more superior than the DiscusX?

Hi Brendan, sure, when you say superior, from what I've seen it's certainly has superior textures, in fact it looks pretty awesome. That additional texture quality shouldn't come as too much of a performance hit because unlike some of the more complicated aircraft with HD systems it has a handful of basic instruments. As for the FDE,  the Discus is pretty good IMO, so we will have to wait and see.

As Nurmblitz said, it is a trainer with dual cockpit, which IMO I think is rather a strange marketing decision, but hey, there we go. As some of the other guys have said, if you are at all serious about sailplaning then you MUST get Cumulus X, it has had an update earlier this year and is a truly wonderful little app. It effectively creates thermals and ridge lift and via a GUI you are able to set the strength and size of thermals. Peter Luerkens, the dev, is also working on wave lift, which will be fantastic if he can pull it off. The latest update also includes cloud shadows. BTW in answer to your question about adverse yaw in the Discus, the answer is yes, it does have it and it takes quite a lot of handling to fly the glider correctly.

Thanks for the clarification.  I just got hold of the Discus and tried a few things on it.  I have never been critical about FDMs but it feels the Discus's rudder is too effective?  I've never flown a real one but when I compare with Puchatek or PW6, even the M200, the rudder is very effective, I don't need to boot it on turns to get a straight yaw string.  However, if I boot it (like I do with the real things), the yaw string swings the other way.  Is that normal?

Another issue, I've tried aerotow, it gave me an error saying "Cannot find FSX Aircraft List" or something.  I looked around for solutions, can't really find any in English (most of them are in German).  And had a look at Cumulus X, there seemed to be an aerotow plane option, does that mean it has aerotow capabilities the application if we buy it?

Cheers,

Thanks for the clarification.  I just got hold of the Discus and tried a few things on it.  I have never been critical about FDMs but it feels the Discus's rudder is too effective?  I've never flown a real one but when I compare with Puchatek or PW6, even the M200, the rudder is very effective, I don't need to boot it on turns to get a straight yaw string.  However, if I boot it (like I do with the real things), the yaw string swings the other way.  Is that normal?

Another issue, I've tried aerotow, it gave me an error saying "Cannot find FSX Aircraft List" or something.  I looked around for solutions, can't really find any in English (most of them are in German).  And had a look at Cumulus X, there seemed to be an aerotow plane option, does that mean it has aerotow capabilities the application if we buy it?

Cheers,

Although, as I'm sure you know, some refer to it as the yaw string, it is really more accurate to be called a slip string, as it's used to basically show slideslipping or skidding in turns. Sideslipping occurs with too little rudder, while skidding occurs with too much rudder. You are right about the rudder in the Discus though, it is very sensitive and I'd be surprised if it is a true rendition, having never flown a Discus it's difficult to say one ay or another.

Maybe the sensitive rudder is realistic. With bigger planes from Cessnas upwards you hardly need a rudder, but gliders need a lot of rudder and you use it extensively in thermal flight. If you are in the center of thermal lift you try to keep the plane "clean", but if you are still trying to find the optimum lift position, you usually slideslip the glider a bit towards the center of the thermal by using the rudder.

Well, I had missed this thread :-(

I concurr with the recommended payware products.

I really like the Discus X!, and look forward for their K21 bacause it's one of the gliders I have more hours logged in RL...

CumulusX! is also a great add-on, and innexpensive, although ASN will do a comparable,  certainly not inferior work ate least in as far as ridge lift / mountain soaring goes. I confess I haven't tested the thermals that much, but I intend to...

The rudder authority, sideslip behaviour, and most of the flight characteristics of the Discus X! are very well done! In the SLG ( Self Launching Glider ) version you really have to keep your tail wheel on ground before you get rudder effectiveness!  Stalls and spins are also very acceptable.

I have used all dedicated soaring simulators you can name :-) starting with SFS2, then v3. Also SOTS, Condor, SilentWings and a few more ( RC ). Recently I tried and liked Aerofly FS, although there are some problems with the stall characteristics of most of it's aircraft, including the gliders, IMO...

Among all soaring simulators, by far the one which matched closer to real my experience was SilentWings - no longer under much development I'm affraid :-( 

I will see if I can try some thermal flying on FSX DX10 + ASN and report back about it. I will use the Discus X!

I am looking forward to the ASK21 with ASN using orbx on P3D.  Will be interesting to see how it goes.

There was suggestions on XPlane, and we have a copy of XPlane at work.  So probably install it on my work computer and see how far I can take it in terms of gliding.  If it's good, I'll get myself a personal copy.

By the way, are there anymore update about the ASK since sept?

There was suggestions on XPlane

Yep, I use X-plane too - it's very acceptable for soaring too, and you also get plausible ridge lift and thermals!

Yep, I use X-plane too - it's very acceptable for soaring too, and you also get plausible ridge lift and thermals!

X-Plane has better FDE, so I hope to have more realistic model through there.  Just crossing the thread a little, any suggestions on good X-Plane package for gliders and environments?  After seeing some recent X-Plane threads of the default scenery, I was gobsmacked!