Sign in to follow this  
achoffm1

P3D V2 my thoughts

I now have in cabin shadows in a few of my aircraft.... in FSX. How did that happen?

Sounds like your tweak tool enabled DX10.

I think conventional wisdom at the moment is NOT to use tweak tools on P3D, but to either set sliders in the program, or follow a few instructions in the documentation about possible changes to the config file.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

But I guess it's tweakers paradise right now with P3D recently so I'm glad you guys enjoy it,

There's virtually nothing to tweak  in P3d2 that really matters. You can adjust the sliders until you get a decent frame rate and that's about it. In that regard, it's pretty much like XP10.

but you don't see my over at the X-Plane forums, tearing down X-Plane.

Come on Arwen where is your sense of adventure!   You have to go against the tide to get the sharks to bite but then watch out when they smell blood the frenzy really begins!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Why do some people here seem to have such low expectations of software compared with other products?

It's not "low expectations," Gerry. It's called patience. We know that they are working to fix the reported issues. We know that many of the reported issues have been fixed.

Given the time of the year, I'm not horribly surprised -or upset- that it will likely be mid-January before they roll out the dot 05 slipstream update.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Why do some people here seem to have such low expectations of software compared with other products?

I think your question is valid Gerry, and an answer might be that perhaps because the market is relatively small (compared to say MS Office), the product is so very tied to 3rd party content developers, there is a sense that LM is actively continuing to develop it, and really the choices for the best sim going forward do appear to many to be P3D, myself included after a brief foray into XP 10.  I do concur though in that the price seems, even in the context mentioned above, a bit steep at $199.  Even so, I'm so impressed w/ what I'm seeing so far that I'm pretty good staying w/ it, even w/ it's current warts, at least for the moment.   My current plan is that if LM does not get 2.1 out the door addressing some of the obvious problems by the time my 60D refund option expires, then I will likely exercise the option, and re-purchase at a price commensurate w/ the product's development status, which I could argue is closer to the academic price than the pro price I'm in at now--just my opinion no need to argue w/ it thanks.  This action would only be utilized to 'keep them honest', or at least demonstrate practically it is important that their actions are in line w/ everyone's stated hope, i.e. that they are 'actively supporting' V2.  With LM's operating budget I am quite aware this action on my part would be entirely symbolic...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Come on Arwen where is your sense of adventure!   You have to go against the tide to get the sharks to bite but then watch out when they smell blood the frenzy really begins!

:O

I actually have a great sense of adventure (I've raced sailboats, climb mountains in the winter, do back country skiing, and sea kayak).

But life is too short to waste time tearing down something over and over, because it was not what I hoped it would be.  I'm probably giving the wrong idea, because I can be a very harsh critic about things that I feel were not done well, but then I either learn how to make them work for me (like the mods that I've made for games, or finding work arounds), or I move on to something that meets my needs better.  Perhaps these "sharks" are just seeking attention by trying to stir things up.

P3D works for me, but for others ... not so much.  I do get that. Others find X-Plane 10 (or FTX) to be a better sim for them, and that is totally fine.  And I'm very thankful that we now have 3 real choices, instead of just two. I'm now feeling very optimistic about the future of flightsims, and that is mostly because I feel P3D2 is moving in the right direction.  There are a number of addons that I would love to be able to add to P3D, but none of them are yet fully compatible . . . but they are all being updated, so I just need to have a bit of patience (which seems to be something that is sorely lacking for some posters here).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

This thread, and those just like it, close to 1000 posts, have beaten this topic to death. I mean, what more can really be said that is truly constructive at this point. Can we give this release, and Bill, a break until an update is offered? 

James McLees

sea kayak.

Never been in the ocean yet (my kayak is not made for the ocean and not dumb enough to tempt my life trying) but kayaking is pretty much my summer hobby..

From this past summer looking at the Ben Franklin Bridge during a 20 mile kayak run.. :) I easily logged over 100 miles this summer kayaking. Best exercise and best way to see the world..

MlUpH42.jpg

/sorry for going off topic but I love kayaking.. :)

/Now you see why I fly out of KPHL all the time

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I can't wait to get back to Miami!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

This thread, and those just like it, close to 1000 posts, have beaten this topic to death. I mean, what more can really be said that is truly constructive at this point. Can we give this release, and Bill, a break until an update is offered? 

That's not the AVSIM way.

We must work to overcome our enemies (those that have the gall to like a different game than me) with a torrential downpour of our tears. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth until we can convince yet another developer to give up on flightsims all together!

Our cries will unite to drown out those who might speak positively of "the others"! We will never give up! There can only be one (or two because FS9 gets a pass)!

I hate to lock topics but have to agree this topic has gone past it's usefulness and almost everything is now off-topic and many here have been very abusive to others (which violates our Terms of Service).  Everyone needs to take a deep breath of fresh air before responding to an inciting post.  It would be better if you would simply use our Report System and notify our moderators that the post is inciting instead of responding to someone who is obviously trying to incite others to get them upset, make a more offending comment that might cause members to be suspended for making inappropriate comments.  Everyone should read our Terms of Service and act accordingly or move on as it is not going to be tolerated.  Violations of the ToS will result in suspensions, some short, some long depending on the offense.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10