Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

linux731

Why Can't FSS Charge in Other Currencies?

I just bought FTX G and I had to pay a ridiculous amount of conversion because I was charged in Australian dollars. Why can't they just charge in other currencies as well?

Its based out of Australia so perhaps that's the issue, that would be where they bank, and they don't want to pay bank conversions on money from other nations.

When I travel in my RV into USA, the first thing that happens is that I can't use my Canadian money and even if it's at par or above Us$ I get dinged charges for converting over....drives me nuts how much I "lose" just because of banks and the banking machine...even though I do all the work and pay such exorbitant banking fees.

Because they don't want to pay the conversion? Sooner or later the transaction has to convert to their currency and you're the one who pays for the conversion.

DJ

Yeah it sucks. Why can't the world just have 1 common currency. 

Euro for all!

Euro for all!

Oh no! If we're gonna agree on using an existing currency for all countries please don't let it be one with such a rubbish name. Dong for everyone!

Euro for all!

Disagree - Bitcoin is the way to go. :P

Oh no! If we're gonna agree on using an existing currency for all countries please don't let it be one with such a rubbish name. Dong for everyone!

LOL

As Macklemore would say...

"Only got 20 dongs in my pocket..."  :LMAO:

Dong for everyone!

Ah the Dong. You know where you are with a Dong in your hand! :blink:

Euro for all!

I think the Chinese Yuan ......... more stable than the dollar !  :lol:  :lol:

LOL

As Macklemore would say...

"Only got 20 dongs in my pocket..."  :LMAO:

Not to mention how many men would be left by their wives because they didn't have enough Dong.

Because good business practice is to charge in the same currency you pay your expenses in.

This thread will get too dirty and will get closed. I'll bet my last Dong on it! :O

Causing the closure of a thread due to rampant dirty jokes is one of my life goals, but just for you here's something more aviation related to keep it clean.

post-261034-0-85310700-1389041797.jpg

I've heard of Flying Elephants, Flying Pigs, and Flying Tea-Cups, and now we have a Flying Dong...

Lowflyer, that genuinely made me laugh out loud!

To get back on topic though, I assume by the act that you were charged a lot of conversion was because you used a credit/debit card? Having used FSS god knows how many times in the past, I've always used PayPal and never (if I have been charged) noticed any difference between the retail price and what I paid.

To get back on topic though, I assume by the act that you were charged a lot of conversion was because you used a credit/debit card? Having used FSS god knows how many times in the past, I've always used PayPal and never (if I have been charged) noticed any difference between the retail price and what I paid.

I used PayPal and got charged by them.

I used PayPal and got charged by them.

Hi Linux,

I've actually checked out PayPal this evening and discovered that they do indeed charge a flat rate of 4% on orders that need converting into $AU. I confirmed this by looking back at some of my previous purchases. I guess the reason that I have never taken any notice is because I've always purchased stuff when it's on offer (so even with fees it's still cheaper).

In short, whilst it's understandable that FSS won't charge in othe currencies, we could really do with a UK download vendor that offers up the same as FSS!

Isn't this the case for all vendors that use a different currency to you?  I use £'s but get charged US$'s by Flight 1, AU$'s by FSS and €'s by Aerosoft.  In all cases there's going to be a charge, either explicit or hidden in the currency conversion rate.

I bought FTX Global a month ago and paid £55.92 including a £1.62 transaction fee. That was using a credit card. The key point here is the exchange rate between your currency and the Australian Dollar.

For us Brits it's a good time to buy as the exchange rate is very favourable. Maybe the OP suffered because of a relatively poor exchange rate with the $. And perhaps paying by credit card is less expensive than by PayPal?

Euro for all!

The Euro is hugely over-valued and is one reason why FS addons are so expensive.

Ten years ago a Euro cost £0.63. Now it's around £0.84.That's a 30% increase in prices for Brits paying in Euros. The Euro was probably the worst thing that happened in Europe. Just ask a Greek or Spaniard!

Also bear in mind a lot of UK banks now charge a "non-Sterling transaction fee" on debit cards which in my case is £1.50

However, if you really want to get angry about how we in the UK get shafted buying stuff from abroad, read up on the "handling fee" that Royal Mail charge for parcels containing merchandise purchased abroad.

PayPal exchange rate "fee" is about 4%, so it's some 35% more expensive than your CC, Ray.

And I'd buy from a foreign shop only if there's some advantage as compared to a shop in my home country. Conversion rates (incl. hidden fees) must be part of the equation, of course.

Yes, it is quite annoying.

Also happened to me on PCA where I accidentally done a purchase on the Aussie domain instead of the regular .com one.

However, if you really want to get angry about how we in the UK get shafted buying stuff from abroad, read up on the "handling fee" that Royal Mail charge for parcels containing merchandise purchased abroad.

A couple of months ago I bought Ultimate Terrain X Europe / Africa from PC Aviator. They're an Australian company I believe but have an outlet in the US. Although it took over 3 weeks for the DVD to arrive I got it for a really good price with no tax and no import duty. I always look at their site first for bargains before I turn to the much more expensive European ones like Aerosoft and SimMarkets.

PayPal exchange rate "fee" is about 4%, so it's some 35% more expensive than your CC, Ray.

I don't understand why PayPal is so popular compared to a credit card. I only use it when CC payment is not an option.

And I'd buy from a foreign shop only if there's some advantage as compared to a shop in my home country. Conversion rates (incl. hidden fees) must be part of the equation, of course.

See my earlier reply. You will probably avoid tax when buying from US sites. With VAT at 20% that's a good saving even with conversion charges. PC Aviator have a 10% discount for orders placed on Tuesdays. Just a pity they don't have the range of products of European retailers.