Sign in to follow this  
cubs

47" monitor, too big for FSX?

I am looking to purchase a large monitor for FSX and don't know if it would cause any problems. Does anyone have a 47" monitor that works well

with FSX? I would like to get the best, I currently have a 22" Samsung and it is just too small. Cost does not matter.

Windows 7

Jetline-1340

Intel ® Core i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50 GHz

RAM 8:00 GB

64 bit

Thanks

Doug

The only issue will be how far you sit from the monitor. For me quality outstrips size and so sat no more than 24" from my 30" Dell, running at 2056x1600 res is mindblowing. However, sat the same distance from a 47" running at a similar res, or 1920x1200, will just be great way of seeing all the pixels! Then you need to sit further away and decide at what distance you feel the picture quality is acceptable.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Cost does not matter.

If thats the case, buy 4- 30" monitors and two titan video cards!

Cost does not matter.

In that case get a real PPL and a real airplane.

:rolleyes:

I use a 47" with trackIR in the VC. personally I find it works great, the

Immersion is amazing.

However, since you are only using a 22" screen you will probably find a 30" monitor more then enough, the resolution will also be higher then a massive LCD or LED.

--- read your post again, are you asking for a 47" monitor? Do they even exist? If so spend the money on a ppl instead!

Rob Prest

Echoing Rockcliffe's suggestions-  Part of the secret of simulation is 'immersion'- that is, seeing and being aware of only the sim and not the room around you.

That philosophy weighs against large monitors - which, for reasons of resolution and picture graininess, generally must be further away from the pilot's eyes.

Furthermore, the real world appears to be curved around one's eyes and very large flat screens don't accomplish that. Try sitting on the beach on a nice summer day and the sky wrap-around effect is magical!

(Samsung recognizes this with the introduction of a very high res, 65" TV that curves itself at the touch of a button. Bring money!)

In short, smaller and closer with corresponding sharp resolution wins the day for me!

january

30 inch 2560x1600 for me, resolution/crispness over size.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Except for two small-ish bezels, I find the eyefinity\or\NVidia setup of three DELL 1920x1200s quite amazing at a resolution of  3150x1680(actually a  reduced res to increase fps)

post-111328-0-22652000-1391023449.jpg

Background is a  bit bright due to cameraman's ingnorance...

It is a 47 inch diagonal

al

post-111328-0-22652000-1391023449.jpg

Immersion is sitting 6 ft away from a short throw projector screen. Go down to your local dealer with flight sim cd in hand and have a look for your self

ZORAN

I have a projector for movies, it's great for FS if you have a home cockpit but pretty pointless when flying from the VC. The view just seems strange IMHO, in that case way to big

Rob Prest

Rob, is it a short throw on a 5x6ft screen? its ideally proportioned ,way closer to the real size of cockpit than a 30inch screen. In fact i would say its a cockpit solution when it gets down to realism

ZORAN

I've been using a 42" HDTV via HDMI cable for several years now, and have been very pleased. It is wall mounted just above my flightsim desktop, and I sit about 1.2 meters from the screen. I set the height on the wall such that the center of the screen is directly aligned with my eyes.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I used to use a 40" for may racing setup, and the size seemed appropriate and proportional from a distance of about 24". Currently I am running 3 27s for FSX, and I love it. I certainly miss the height of the 40" and the lack of bezel obtrusion, however.

Currently I am running 3 27s for FSX, and I love it. I certainly miss the height of the 40" and the lack of bezel obtrusion, however.

If you are displaying 3 separate views (LF,F,RF), adjusting the angle of the outer views in FSX Camera (FS9 Panel Cfg) will literally make the bezels "disappear" - in much the same way that the windshield posts in cars and airplanes are not noticeable.

A poorly corrected view angle is quickly detected by the eye/brain combo- which is looking for & expecting a contiguous image across all three screens. 

Measuring the images' separation down to 1/16" for angular correction calculation pays dividends.

(It's the actual distance between 2 images that counts- not simply combined bezel width!

Automatic bezel correction systems can't do this accurately to be really effective.)

january

In that case get a real PPL and a real airplane.

:rolleyes:

well, if you must know, I do own a j3 Cub, Waco UPF-7, citabria, c-172, c-182, and a c-180 at 1c9. I can't afford a 777 or a 747. I do enjoy flying these aircraft on my computer.