Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

So is this what to expect with P3D v2 add-on pricing?

The simple solution, as has already been stated, is if you don't like the price, don't buy it.  The set price is the set price. The reasoning used by a developer to justify a specific price point is irrelevant, and all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything.  The bottom line is if a developer wants to charge more for their product, they will come up with pretty much anything that sounds remotely credible to rationalize and defend their decision.  That's marketing 101.  Most reasonably intelligent people can read through all the crapola, but many are blind to it, and they're the ones who will happily fork over the extra cash.  That's what retailers count on.  In my experience, greed supersedes integrity these days. Imagine for a second that you buy a hose at Sears for $20 to water your lawn, but then you're told that if you want to use it in your landscaping business to water someone else's garden it will cost you $50, I think people would be pretty po'd.  At the end of the day, It's all about the money. The only vote that matters is the one you make by not pulling out the credit card. 

Cheers,

Jeff

OK.  Let's not turn Avsim into one of those sites where there is always some genius who wants to make every story something about Obama.

Thank you. That's much better!!!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The only vote that matters is the one you make by not pulling out the credit card.

Agree with some of what you say -- developer's/publishers will price to make a profit - that's capitalism, it's not something consumers decide.  I'll disagree that buying or not buying is a way of voting ... in my experience, if the product is of quality, people will pay for that quality ... if not, it doesn't sell regardless of how cheap it is priced.

I know nothing about the iFly 737 for P3DV2 product, but I'm gonna go find out more details about it and what has been done (new and different) specific to the P3DV2 version.

EDIT: found info on iFly 737 here: http://www.flight1tech.com/Products/AircraftSimulations/737NGforPrepar3D.aspx

The iFly 737NG can now be used in Prepar3D. This P3D version of the 737NG is based off of the current FSX version (Feature Pack version 3.1) and does not include any additional features compared to the FSX entertainment version.

At least they are being honest, but it seems they have NOT made the product fully compatible with P3DV2 so it's unlikely I would purchase this product.  BUT, if I were to hazard a guess, the extra cost would be involved in the license with Boeing to sell their name in a product made by Lockheed Martin.  

So to answer the OP's original question, I would say for Boeing products that want to be sold for P3DV2, then yes I think this is the type of pricing difference we can expect to see ... it'll depend on what type of agreement iFly, PMDG, etc. have with Boeing.  As for other aircraft NOT made by Boeing ... no idea.

I doubt this is the developer trying to rip anyone off, they are simply passing along the cost incurred from Boeing's OK to sell.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

or for $20 more, one will be able to be licensed for both sim versions

Bill,

I first privately railed at the announcement of separate EULA requiring separate purchases from MilViz.  I understood the additional development costs, but paying the same price for each?  This revelation you made (had not seen elsewhere yet) makes a lot more sense and I hope other developers will take note.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you. That's much better!!!!

I thought you'd like it. I may have been to harsh with my first post. Sorry. Pilot error.

IMHO the only reason for a higher price for the P3D2 version is that developers want to maximise their profits (which is what capitalism is all about). They tell you all the legal stuff only to make you as the consumer feel better when paying the higher price. And increasing the price is quite reasonable from an economics perspective: People who are early adopters of innovation (P3D2) are most likely willing to accept higher prices. So you just charge those higher prices when products are new (P3D2 version is introduced) and later reduce those prices to attract additional customers which are not willing to pay the premium price in the beginning. That's just a simple price skimming strategy. It's as easy as this...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

The simple solution, as has already been stated, is if you don't like the price, don't buy it.  The set price is the set price. The reasoning used by a developer to justify a specific price point is irrelevant, and all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything.  The bottom line is if a developer wants to charge more for their product, they will come up with pretty much anything that sounds remotely credible to rationalize and defend their decision.  That's marketing 101.  Most reasonably intelligent people can read through all the crapola, but many are blind to it, and they're the ones who will happily fork over the extra cash.  That's what retailers count on.  In my experience, greed supersedes integrity these days.

Let me exit the flightsim world for a moment, it may help seeing things in an even more relaxed mood. I have another hobby: music reproduction. As in "expensive boxes that send you to heaven when you play music through them".

Ok, after 30+ years of searching, studying, testing, I know that many producers sell rubbish for an unreasonable amount of money. Their boxes sound awful, but you will always find people who buy them and pretend they hear wonderful things. Most times those people sound like the seller who sold them the useless stuff, and you can get into a row with them if you do not hear the same wonderful things.

Then someday you open the 25.000$ box and find out that there is less than 1000$ inside. That amplifier sounds suspiciously like another one with the same design and components (that's what you would expect) but it costs 10x the price. Fishy.

So you show it to your friend and he keeps saying that it sounds 100x better. And if you propose a double blind test, they will say that double blind tests are unrevealing.

The human mind is wonderful. Especially to those who know how to exploit other people.

In brief: those who want to have that wonderful 797 plane in P3D2 will happily pay throught heir nose for it, and if you try and tell them that maybe 200$ for one bird is a bit too much they will jump at your throat.

When a human suspects he is being foolish he will promptly kill anyone who tells him.

Let me exit the flightsim world for a moment, it may help seeing things in an even more relaxed mood. I have another hobby: music reproduction. As in "expensive boxes that send you to heaven when you play music through them".

Ok, after 30+ years of searching, studying, testing, I know that many producers sell rubbish for an unreasonable amount of money. Their boxes sound awful, but you will always find people who buy them and pretend they hear wonderful things. Most times those people sound like the seller who sold them the useless stuff, and you can get into a row with them if you do not hear the same wonderful things.

Then someday you open the 25.000$ box and find out that there is less than 1000$ inside. That amplifier sounds suspiciously like another one with the same design and components (that's what you would expect) but it costs 10x the price. Fishy.

So you show it to your friend and he keeps saying that it sounds 100x better. And if you propose a double blind test, they will say that double blind tests are unrevealing.

The human mind is wonderful. Especially to those who know how to exploit other people.

In brief: those who want to have that wonderful 797 plane in P3D2 will happily pay throught heir nose for it, and if you try and tell them that maybe 200$ for one bird is a bit too much they will jump at your throat.

When a human suspects he is being foolish he will promptly kill anyone who tells him.

Reminds me of something my Grandfather taught me many years ago.  As we watched someone doing something relatively stupid, I asked him why he didn't say anything.  He told me, "if there's one universal truth in life, it's to never offer advice that isn't asked for, because wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it."   As I've grown older, I realize now just how wise a man he was.

Cheers!!  :smile:

I have the ifly 737 and ages back paid the £9.95 update license  for  P3d ,to me its a brilliant add on,I cant compare to the other 737,s as I do not not own or want any of them ,the price has always been £9.95 more than fsx, same as Rex charged £5.00 more for their product to work in P3d as far as i know there is absolutely no difference between the two versions  ,the main issue I have with the Ifly 737 for P3d is that any issue you encounter means you to need you contact the  support on Flight1 tech site by email,I cant find a forum for the P3d version  and the Fsx Ifly forum wont/cant help you, if you look at the fsx forum it is as if the P3d version does not exist!,I think it is very stupid to place this product on a professional site? and then  stick a disclaimer that it is not suitable for professional training you might ask what then makes it suitable for a pro site,but as it is flight1 we are talking about and they seem to be very anti P3d what can you expect

peter

Rex charged £5.00 more for their product to work in P3d

Now that's the way to do it! I'll do a back flip if PMDG announces that you need to pay $5.00 for the P3DV2 NGX license if you already own the FSX license. :lol:  Now you know that ain't gonna happen! :mad:

Now that's the way to do it! I'll do a back flip if PMDG announces that you need to pay $5.00 for the P3DV2 NGX license if you already own the FSX license. :lol:  Now you know that ain't gonna happen! :mad:

If that ain't gonna happen, my credit card ain't gonna work with PMDG. Easy.

Excellent posts by ADamiani and JeffH, and very true. The fact is the vast majority of people buying P3D are flightsimmers, coming from FS9 / FSX. LM knows that, as do the addon developers. In the whole scheme of things, only a tiny few will possibly buy it as a true training tool...airlines, flight schools, military ? I believe that this whole pricing thing has, once again, shown that of all the creatures on this planet, humans are way and beyond the most gullible. Stick the word "Professional" on, and the gullible will pay whatever is asked.