Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Microsoft's new CEO - Satya Nadella

Anyone know anything about this guy outside of this article. How will this affect any new prospects for the future of our hobby with Microsoft?

His picture in the article reminds me of 'Adam Ant'.

Bill Gates looks like he's back to taking a more hands on role hopefully to get the company back on track. Allot of clean-up to do after Ballmer...

http://news.msn.com/us/microsoft-names-satya-nadella-its-next-ceo

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Very dim indeed! I think MS is finished with Flight sims. Just my opinion.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Gates is back to oversee the transition and from what I can gather to try and help Nadella survive the board and other execs.  But here lies one of the problems with Microsoft:

Many on Wall Street have been in favor of Microsoft going outside in selecting its third CEO. But those of us who've followed the company for years know that outsiders don't have a very good survival record at Microsoft. Most of those tapped from non-Microsoft posts to take on high-level management jobs at the company in the past couple decades ended up leaving frustrated because they were unable to infiltrate the political (and sometimes, technical) hierarchy.

So why exactly is that ... find the cause, and you'll know the problems with Microsoft.  A lot of the board members and execs need to be removed, and that's just NOT going to happen.

Not everyone shares that view. Most notably, ValueAct's Mason Morfit -- who is expected to take a seat on Microsoft's board around March of 2014 -- is said to favor a strategy via which Microsoft's enterprise products and cloud services take center stage. Bloomberg has reported that ValueAct is believed to want Microsoft to jettison or scale back its efforts in consumer hardware like Surface, Windows Phone and Xbox.

The opposition has already started ... this isn't good news, just more of the same internal fighting that got them in this mess.

I very much doubt MS will be back in the flight sim market, it would mean re-hiring, creating new departments, long lead time; no chance.

I might be about to commit heresy here but, really, there was nothing wrong with the Flight engine, they could have easily attached the ATC / world map from FSX, even at the basic detail level, the basic topographical map is already in Flight.  They chose not too, because they don't want this segment of the market, this hasn't changed.  

Ian R Tyldesley

Agree, no impact to flight simulation and it's very likely MS will drop XBox also ... the PS4 is out selling XBox by almost 2:1 and more importantly the titles for PS4 are out selling the same title on XBox.  I can't see Microsoft trying to stay in the "entertainment" game.

The new CEO will have much  more to about than  which game Microsoft Game Studios will develop.

Yep, I agree with the others, this won't change anything with respect to FS. Mr. Nadella came up through the enterprise side fo the company, the side that has been been making them plenty of money over the past decade. Also, Microsoft is far too big for the CEO to worry about a product with revenues that would amount to little more than a rounding error on the company's bottom line.

Unless Nadella is a die hard flight sim fan, who cares...? :D

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Satya Nadella......

My first reaction: "Who the heck is that?"  :blink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My first reaction: "Who the heck is that?"

He's the guy that has been keeping Microsoft profitable via their enterprise software (SQL, Exchange, Server OS, etc.).

Gates used to have a soft spot for flight simulation ... but that was a LONG time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Microsoft's espousal of their "One Device to Rule Them All" mission statement just underscores just how lost this company is. Windows 8 is the red-headed child born of that incestuous marriage and now the XBox One is right there following in its footsteps trying to be the jack of all trades and master of none. Until MS stops trying to redefine what people want rather than asking people, "What do you want?" they will continue to march down their present path toward obsolescence where they will join the likes of Sun and IBM: dinosaurs of an age long past swallowed up by their own inertia.

Nay. I would not hold out any hope that this community will see one whit of change as a result of this changing of the guard. Love it or leave it: the future of this hobby lies with Lockheed or Laminar not Micro$qua$h.

for some reason I feel like listening to Golden Years by David Bowie....I couldn't care less where Microsoft goes from here on but I did have fun with them from 1988 MS-Dos years all the way up to Windows 7.....This is where I get off the bus.

If they put innovation and creativity (and a little imagination) back into that company then I may buy something from them again, but seeing as Nadella comes out of the Enterprise side of things I don't see that happening.

Matthew Kane

i dont understand whats the big hate for steve ballmer. sure he was outrageous and probably made some bad decisions  but as a ceo he made the company profitable. in-fact if you look, microsoft has been extremely profitable under his belt even tho apple/ google took some of the big chunks out of their market share.