Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

Not a Game!

Game? Simulator? What ever it is, I'm having whole lot of fun inverted!!! :P Aerobatic pilot!  B)

So dissapointing, but not completely surprising, how many adults are not able to think in shades of gray, with even a touch of nuance. Everything needs to be black and white to them: FSX comes with the flour bag "game" and Loopy Larry, so therefore FSX in it's totality, and everything that can be added to it, or any possible usage scenario that is undertaken using it as a platform, is therefore also just a Game. Great logic :{

Love it when someone says it's not a simulator because it usually means we have different perceptions of what a sim is. I call all good simulation games "simulators" but off course it is not as perfect as a machine which is a simulator. But seriously, does any of us on this 6 pages actually cares?

Once again, a game has an opposition, a winner and a looser which doesnt exist in the sim element of MSFS, this fact seems lost on some people here.

Last night I downloaded 'Flappy Birds' on a tablet.  There is no opposition or any winning or losing.... you are graded based on how many pipes you fly between.  I think it's the best Bird Simulator on the market....

Last night I downloaded 'Flappy Birds' on a tablet.  There is no opposition or any winning or losing.... you are graded based on how many pipes you fly between.  I think it's the best Bird Simulator on the market....

" Graded "  there it is, top grade, you win, no grade you loose, thats a game, simple ! None of that in FS.

So dissapointing, but not completely surprising, how many adults are not able to think in shades of gray, with even a touch of nuance. Everything needs to be black and white to them: FSX comes with the flour bag "game" and Loopy Larry, so therefore FSX in it's totality, and everything that can be added to it, or any possible usage scenario that is undertaken using it as a platform, is therefore also just a Game. Great logic :{

Actually, for myself, I there are very very few ways in which I could possibly care less what its called including rover, spot, or fi-fi.

Where I will jump in, and I suspect many others as well, is when FSX gets posthumously elevated to sim status in such a way as allow one to look down from some imagined high plateau, nose up in disdain at lesser forms of entertainment like "mere" games and the clueless knuckle-draggers without enough enlightenment (and presumably intellect) to appreciate the "finer" things like Sids and Stars.

Eventually the smell of elitism starts to waft through the air, and to others its a bit like second-hand cigarette smoke.

In an increasingly niche and isolated hobby, how does this help attract "regular" people to what seems to be heading towards a members-only social club?

If people want a less black and white approach, frame the insistent "It's definitely a sim" proclamations in a grayer form. Otherwise expect similarly black and white replies.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5