Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

You're fine. I had no problem at all on my 1.2gb 560 much less the 770 I have now. (while eyeing a Titan)

Eye the GTX 780 Ti. Cheaper and faster. Games don't need the double-precision performance of the GTX Titan.

Eye the GTX 780 Ti. Cheaper and faster. Games don't need the double-precision performance of the GTX Titan.

W-wait..... You don't have the usual tech-lust? You don't buy a Titan because you need it, silly, you buy it because its freaking beastly, and you're joining a small club with more money than sense. (kind of like flight simmers)

Think of it as the Cartier watch of graphics cards.  :P  :lol:

(But you're right, I'll probably end up with the 780)  ^_^

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

W-wait..... You don't have the usual tech-lust? You don't buy a Titan because you need it, silly, you buy it because its freaking beastly, and you're joining a small club with more money than sense. (kind of like flight simmers)

Think of it as the Cartier watch of graphics cards.  :P  :lol:

(But you're right, I'll probably end up with the 780)  ^_^

If that's so, wait for the GTX Titan Black. It's coming out soon.

If that's so, wait for the GTX Titan Black. It's coming out soon.

Uh, oh..... are people who already have Titans going to cry?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Uh, oh..... are people who already have Titans going to cry?

Nah, it's been one year since the GTX Titan was released. The Black edition combines the performance of the GTX 780 Ti with 6GB of VRAM and full double-precision performance. It will cost $1.000, so the GTX Titan will get a price cut or be phased out.

The pain of no longer being at the top of the food chain......  ^_^

The chance you take when buying a graphics card.

Devons rig

That time will always eventually come.

It's true w/ all of it from cases, to memory, to CPU's, storage, etc...

I'm really glad I chose the parts I did when I did.   I built for a different sim that could use 6/12 cores, 64-bit VAS, and SLI, even though that wasn't the cheapest sol'n for FSX.  Works great, should continue to for quite some time.  Could throw in another Titan but right now it's not needed for P3D V2.1.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think some of us plateaued for a while with our machines because there was nothing that challenged them, so no need to upgrade. Now we have X-plane and P3Dv2 demanding monster resources, but I'm conflicted if that's they way to the future. We keep throwing bigger and bigger cards at the situation when maybe whats needed is a whole new approach.

Its why I am so fascinated by things like Outerra. I look at a forest stretching to the horizon with full shadows, running on a moderate rig, and try to imagine what current sim-tech would require to match that feat. It seems clear after that, that there's another path becoming available that deserves to be explored.....

I was thinking about it earlier today. There was a thread here where a new sim to possibly be developed was discussed by a person saying he was thinking of making one. Just that, with little other information, and the forum went wild. Yet here is Outerra with actual software, already this impressive in alpha, and so many people don't even know about it. Weird, huh?

Devons rig

That's a very lovely and pristine planet. I wonder what galaxy it is in? :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

:lol:

... it's all relative and so i'd say: In a galaxy not to far away! :wink:

But no matter where - it's certainly looking awesome!

I prefer to think of it as virgin territory, begging for development.  :smile:

Devons rig

I am sure earth is lovely and pristine from that vantage, after all, space is silent  :lol:

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Well, to my eye it appears like Earth would look like had neither man or beast ever come to be... He%20He.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My only complaint is that the world looks like it's in a constant state of haze that dulls the colors to much or like the sun is always in your eyes. 

It's kind of like taking a picture with a camera where snow is on the ground.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply