Sign in to follow this  
rshepherd

Windows 8.1 and PMDG Verdict?

Gents,

I know that a slew of Windows 8.1 posts have been started on Avsim, but I was wondering if by now, any solid verdict has been settled on by the PMDG folks here (Ryan?). I'm really starting to get used to, and actually like W8.1 on my computer at work and am considering doing a clean install on my FSX PC at home; 8.1, FSX Gold, all my myriad of add-ons and see how it goes.

It would also be nice to keep this post here instead of moving it to the Windows 8.1 forum as I am mainly concerned as to PMDG's answer on the subject and their research as far as how their products have been interacting with W 8.1.

... Should I go for it?

Thanks!

Gents,

I know that a slew of Windows 8.1 posts have been started on Avsim, but I was wondering if by now, any solid verdict has been settled on by the PMDG folks here (Ryan?). I'm really starting to get used to, and actually like W8.1 on my computer at work and am considering doing a clean install on my FSX PC at home; 8.1, FSX Gold, all my myriad of add-ons and see how it goes.

It would also be nice to keep this post here instead of moving it to the Windows 8.1 forum as I am mainly concerned as to PMDG's answer on the subject and their research as far as how their products have been interacting with W 8.1.

... Should I go for it?

Thanks!

I almost find your post offensive. Consider that the "modern UI" formerly known as "Metro" is the ONLY UI that Microsoft wants programs written for.

That is why they have "depreciated" the old UI and scheduled it to be discontinued.

Microsoft has turned their backs on every programmer who has ever written for Windows.

To them we are nothing more than cows to be milked.

I almost find your post offensive
No need to be instantly hostile towards someone, they simply asked a question and there is no need to bash them on the operating system they chose and there opinion on it. 

On the other hand, I use windows 8,1 and the PMDG 777 runs without any problems on it :) 

Same here , no issues and I get to keep 8's cool features.

I have been using windows 8 and more recently 8.1 with FSX and PMDG's aircraft for some time. I have found the operating system to be very stable. I did a clean install with windows 8 and allowed windows to upgrade to 8.1 without any new install of my FSX program's or addons, yes I do have joystick issues but once I configured FSUIPC, the joystick works. My PMDG addons are the 737NGX, 747, J41 & B777. I also use ProAtc without any problems.

Hope this helps

Rob

Rob Payne

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro with my FSX installation, and it is working wonderful! The only add-on that doesn't work is the Level-D 767, but that's because it was designed for XP, not the newer OS. I find performance better when compared to the same in Windows 7, I get about 5 to 10 fps more because 8 is more optimized.

We are not officially supporting Windows 8/8.1. There's just been too many problems reported (and experienced by some of us on the team). It may work for you but it may not - that level of variability isn't something we're prepared to deal with right now. Our recommendation remains Windows 7 x64 for a simming machine.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Using 8.1 with PMDG for a long time. flawless and absolutely no issues.

For staters, try using a joystick or yolk without a registered copy of fsuipc, swap between windows apps, then back to fsx, and let me know how the landing goes.

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro with my FSX installation, and it is working wonderful! The only add-on that doesn't work is the Level-D 767, but that's because it was designed for XP, not the newer OS. I find performance better when compared to the same in Windows 7, I get about 5 to 10 fps more because 8 is more optimized.

My 737 and 777 would freeze constantly running on that dog of an OS.

W8 = miserable failure. Why do you think Ball Boy Ballmer got the boot?

The main problem with Windows 8 or 8.1 for the majority of the people is with the joystick going missing/being disabled. You can get this working the majority of the time by using a registered copy of FSUIPC and assigning the axis and so on through that but even that sometimes can fail on you.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

yes I do have joystick issues but once I configured FSUIPC, the joystick works.

What do you do if you don't want to be forced to buy FSUIPC to make your joystick work?

What do you do if you don't want to be forced to buy FSUIPC to make your joystick work?

Buy the superior OS, Windows 7. 

Been using Win 7 for a long time without any issues, I can't see myself ever switching to an inferior OS like Windows 8. 

There is plenty of examples of users having joystick issues with windows 7, its not just a windows 8 issue! 

FSUIPC was one of my first paid addon's, something which I never regretted.  As the joystick is such an important part of FSX, I wouldn't have a problem buying FSUIPC to make it work.

Rob

Rob Payne

I am using a joystick without FsUIPC. Plug n play. DX 10 graphics, dual monitors and probably has the most realstic graphics and exprience on windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 is 10 fold lighter on CPU compared to windows 7. Hence best experience on FSX, saves up a whole lot of CPU power.

If given a choice I will always prefer 8 over OS 7.

Only those who can't use win 8 hate it because they refuse to evolve with technology.