Sign in to follow this  
maddoc

Lod_Radius 6,5 or 10,5 ?

Does anyone note any differences in using the lod_radius at 6,5 or 10,5 changing it via the p3d.cfg file ??

Thanks

I'm using 16.5.  I use LOD_RADIUS=16.500000 to define how far away from the aircrafts ground position ground textures are loaded to the clearest level.  I think each LOD is a tiles distance.  I don't see much impact on a GTX 780 with that setting, in fact I might try higher, but it gives a fairly realistic appearance.

16.5 ???  :blink:

If you set such value in FSX or P3D 1.4 maybe you can wait for 20-30 minutes to load the scenery.

Is P3D 2.2 different in this? 

I have to try this value at least ine time...

Ok, so did you try it?  What did it do?  Am I hallucinating?

What I wish to know is if really increasing the lod radius we will get better resolution texture. It seems to be no significative difference between lod_radius6,5 or 10,5 just like 6,5 is the maximum allowed setting.

What 'a your experience about that ??

Thanks

Are texture mipmaps really controlled by LOD_RADIUS? I thought  it was MipBias that caused sharper textures to be used at a distance.

Barry Friedman

I am almost certain I see a difference at 16.5.  Photoreal ground textures are drawn out farther.

I am almost certain I see a difference at 16.5.  Photoreal ground textures are drawn out farther.

One call it the placebo effect.

Spirit

Are texture mipmaps really controlled by LOD_RADIUS? I thought  it was MipBias that caused sharper textures to be used at a distance.

o.k. good to know! Can that "MipBias"-value be changed?

I find the loading of textures very anoying when I fly close to it... I would love to see that those sharper textures would "fade" in (like the AutoGen does) or "morph-in".

Also to see the mesh resolution beeing so low in the distance is spoiling some reality for me. Can that be changed?

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Can you take two screenshots one with 6.5 and another one with 16.5 please? :)

Can you take two screenshots one with 6.5 and another one with 16.5 please? :)

This. I'd be interested to see the results, especially given that LM are supposed to have capped it at 6.5,

But that might distort my reality.  Why would I do that?  I'm happy.

Maybe later this morning I can investigate my visions..

In that case I'm setting mine at 17.5 and will then sit back and bask in my reflected glory :P