Sign in to follow this  
ark

Using LVL CHG vs VS

As I understand it, the MCP LVL CHG function will attempt to have the a/c climb using the max N1 allowed by the FMC, or descend at idle N1, while maintaining the speed set in the A/T window. The V/S function will attempt to have the a/c climb or descend at the vertical speed set in the V/S window and at the speed set in the A/T window.

Since these two functions seem to be very similar I'd like to better understand when they are used in normal operation. Is one typically used more than the other? If ATC calls and requests a climb or descent, which is the preferred function? If you have the V/S capability, why is LVL CHG needed?

Thx,

Al

This is one of the most overthought question from simmers, and it really doesn't need to be.

If ATC calls and requests a climb or descent, which is the preferred function?

ATC's primary concern is that you do it soon after they call it.  Method doesn't matter as long as you act "normally."  By that, I mean climb/descend like the aircraft around you - not too high, not too low.  Do what you want.  If ATC needs something else, they'll vector you out of the way, or ask you to "expedite your descent."

If you have the V/S capability, why is LVL CHG needed?

One allows you to accelerate or decelerate without changing your V/S.  The other allows max rate of ascent or descent, allowing V/S to adjust as appropriate.

If a plane can be landed without the HUGS, why is a HUGS needed?

It's an additional tool to help you do your job.

Watch this:

Kyle Rodgers

I only had experience with the 777 so I would answer the question based on my 777 knowledge and I hope there won't be too much of a difference.

The biggest difference between FLCH and V/S is FLCH is pretty much like VNAV SPD, basically uses the elevator to maintain speed for a fixed thrust setting that's why the A/T would either be in THR REF, THR, IDLE, HOLD ( on the 777 ) but never in SPD. v/S on the other is constant vertical path is maintained by pitch, therefore A/T always in SPD mode.

This implies that there's a speed protection using FLCH, because the speed set in the MCP window is the primary target, the airplane will adjust pitch to fly that speed regardless of engine thrust setting. However in V/S, vertical speed will be the primary target, if let say you set +4000fpm to try to do a cruise climb close to the MAX altitude, the AP will command a 4000fpm rate of climb in the expense of losing airspeed because airspeed can not be maintained at such a high rate of climb at high altitude. As result the speed will decrease to Vmms until the AP stall protection kick in to save the airplane. The opposite applies on descend, if you dial -5000fpm, you will Overspeed the airplane until the Overspeed protection kick in to save the day.

Therefore FLCH is a good mode to use for descend from cruising level down to the G/S intercept altitude or the step climb in cruise when VNAV is not available, and it helps to lower the workload. V/S is best to use on at lower altitude to fine tune your descend profile, or to perform a nor precision appr when VNAV PATH can not be used, small step descend, drift down in a holding pattern or to do small step climbs at low altitude shortly after departure below around 10000ft. Or v/s can be used as long as you are sure that the engine will have enough thrust to maintain the selected V/S on the MCP.

FLCH is good for slowing down the airplane from high speed because it will pitch the nose up to maintain ~500fpm rate of descend to allow the speed bleed of. The opposite applies for the climb as well, pitch down to accelerate then pitch up again to continue the climb once target speed is reached.

FLCH is also used in go around after reaching Accel HT.

You can use v/S solely but if you do, monitor your airspeed carefully, and be ready to change the target V/S if the airspeed can not to maintained.

I had the same question when I first begin flying airplanes with auto pilot. So don't worry.

Hope it helps. Happy flying : D

Since most people has already answered the question in details, I would just like to add one more touch on the discussion.

FLCH (on the 777) is actually try to reach your target ALT in 2 min if not achieve then the thrust will go idle or max CLB thrust to finish the job with airspeed being the primary target as mentioned before. Therefore if you are doing small step climb or descend with 1000ft difference, FLCH will always give you 500fpm going up or down, and A/T mode will be in THR. And now if you wanna climb 2000ft from your current altitude FLCH will command v/S 1000fpm, so on and so on. So in the 777 case I usually use FLCH on departure if ATC gives me small step climb like 1000-2000ft every time to keep it simple and same for descend.

The idea of using V/S for small step climb and descend is for fuel saving and passenger comfort as it avoids the thrust goes all the up to CLB the airplane pitch up quite dramatically then in 10 second the AP captures the altitude and the thrust has to roll back and airplane pitch down again etc etc.

There's no right or wrong answer, I personally try to minimized mode changes to keep things simple. It all comes down to experience after a while and everyone does it differently.

LVL CH or FLCH (pronounced "flich") is basically a "pitch for speed", the TARGET is keeping the MCP selected speed and accepting whatever vertical speed results.

V/S is a "vertical speed" mode. The TARGET is vertical speed.

I find myself using FLCH during most climbs and initial descend. During the final part of the descend or once in an area with heavy ATC vectoring and constant altitude clearances I tend to prefer V/S.

V/S is, at least for me, a "fine tuner". I use it when the descend is of a couple thousand feet. On the descends instructed on an Instrument Approach Chart, or during final approach on a non-precision procedure, I use V/S (or fly manually).

You can see me using V/S on this video (start watching where it is, minute 20:something). The method I use is the following:

- On "ALT CAP" I select the next lower altitude. Say the plane is capturing 5000' and the next lower altitude is 4000. I set 4000 on the MCP when I see the "ALT CAP" on the FMA.

- On "ALT HOLD" I open the V/S window and check for zeroes. That way my next altitude is sort of "armed".

- Once the descend to the next lower altitude should begin, I turn the V/S wheel.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Well...there are situations where one or the other are more suitable and safer than the other.

The most important thing to remember is that LVL CHG is a 'pitch for speed' mode. Speed will always be protected in this mode. Especially important at high altitude, when the wrong use of V/S will potentially put the airplane in a low speed condition, if you don't monitor speed and thrust very closely. It's not really recommended to make extensive use of V/S in the climb for this reason.

Equally V/S is very useful and preferable during the later stage of an approach, where a smaller specific vertical speed is required. Usually to maintain a CDA (Constant Descent Approach), when LVL CHG may produce higher and unnecessary rate of descent resulting in early level off. A common simmer mistake on most videos I see.

For newbies, a thorough understanding of the FMA is needed to appreciate what the aircraft is trying to do.

Adam Turley

I've heard this "V/S is dangerous" thing numerous times and I don't quite agree.

It's dangerous if you put the plane in V/S at a rate of +5000 fpm at 30.000ft, yes, that's dangerous. But the pilot is there precisely to use his judgement and ask "reasonable" requests to the autoflight system.

I don't see why doing a step climb using V/S should be dangerous if you input a reasonable V/S and monitor the airspeed, something you should ALWAYS do by the way, regardless of what autopilot mode or level of automation you're using.

That said, I do my step climbs using FLCH. But I use that mode not because V/S is dangerous, it's just cause I prefer it.

• Like 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I've heard this "V/S is dangerous" thing numerous times and I don't quite agree.

It's dangerous if you put the plane in V/S at a rate of +5000 fpm at 30.000ft, yes, that's dangerous. But the pilot is there precisely to use his judgement and ask "reasonable" requests to the autoflight system.

I don't see why doing a step climb using V/S should be dangerous if you input a reasonable V/S and monitor the airspeed, something you should ALWAYS do by the way, regardless of what autopilot mode or level of automation you're using.

That said, I do my step climbs using FLCH. But I use that mode not because V/S is dangerous, it's just cause I prefer it.

At around FL360 the speed margins are pretty small either way. It won't need a 5000 fpm rate to be dangerous. 800 - 1000 fpm will often be too much for the airplane to handle before it becomes thrust limited and speed decreases.

Pilots do use good judgement and give reasonable requests, but even with 1000 fpm V/S commanded a sudden wind change or change in temperature coupled with a few moments distraction from the flight crew (it does happen) will put the aircraft into the amber band in the high 30's.

At my airline VNAV is always the preferred climb mode even for 1000ft step climbs. You see what VNAV does then go to V/S if the rate of climb becomes excessive. Excessive being greater than 1500 fpm.

Adam Turley 

At around FL360 the speed margins are pretty small either way. It won't need a 5000 fpm rate to be dangerous. 800 - 1000 fpm will often be too much for the airplane to handle before it becomes thrust limited and speed decreases.

Pilots do use good judgement and give reasonable requests, but even with 1000 fpm V/S commanded a sudden wind change or change in temperature coupled with a few moments distraction from the flight crew (it does happen) will put the aircraft into the amber band in the high 30's.

At my airline VNAV is always the preferred climb mode even for 1000ft step climbs. You see what VNAV does then go to V/S if the rate of climb becomes excessive. Excessive being greater than 1500 fpm.

Adam Turley

100% agree. Especially climbing into a strong jet stream above OPT, some airplanes with thrust limited can not always power through it. Again not that we can't do it in V/S, but I am lazy and I prefer the added protection from VNAV or FLCH.

Sorry I exaggerated a bit with 5000fpm with my previous example as an attempt to point out the potential danger in v/S.

One more RW use of V/S:

Eg. You're on the BAYVU3 in to KSAN and you get get "Cross BAYVU 15000." Surprise, surprise, they left you high and now VNAV wants to go to VNAV SPD. Well, that's not going to help much.You had planned on descending at .78/280, but now that plan is out the window.

Here's what you can do: Put 15000 in the MCP. Look at the "Green Banana" arc and dial in a V/S that has you crossing BAYVU at 15000. In this instance you don't care about speed, just the crossing restriction. The airspeed will go up, but as long as it's a good speed (not too rough, not too close to VMO) you should be fine.

Like all modes, this requires monitoring, but this is a quick way of solving a problem.

Also, I use V/S to have a nice gentle G/S intercept. I don't like high power settings and level flight on approach, so I keep track of my Vertical Bearing (DESC page) to the FAF and use a more sedate V/S once I'm around 3.0 degrees. Smooth. Chicks totally dig it.

Matt Cee

Smooth. Chicks totally dig it.

:LMAO: :LMAO:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Speed management is everything while orchestrating a descent path to the IAF. Therefore I almost always use FLCH to keep the speed under control. Its just a matter of learning the distance required to lose a certain amount of altitude at a given speed. This is also very useful for speed restrictions such as 250 kias under 10k feet. If the need arises to expedite your descent, just pop some spoilers out to come down quicker without increasing ground speed. For climb I'm almost always in VNAV.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I bet he's just theorizing.   B)  :rolleyes:  :biggrin:  

I wonder how many phone numbers he collects at the end of the flight :Party:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

LVL CH or FLCH (pronounced "flich") is basically a "pitch for speed", the TARGET is keeping the MCP selected speed and accepting whatever vertical speed results.

V/S is a "vertical speed" mode. The TARGET is vertical speed.

Pilots I've met have spoken FLCH as "felch".

FLCH is a vertical speed mode too. Target VS is based on the initial change in level and thrust is increased/decreased to achieve it at the selected airspeed. If the target VS can't be achieved the thrust is limited at either reference thrust or idle.

VS mode is good for small adjustments in altitude or to fine tune altitude capture. FLCH is better for larger altitude changes where the additional protection and refinement is good. If you need to reach an altitude in a given time or distance then VS is best.

Some autopilots have a less sophisticated version of FLCH which commands an increase in thrust to CLB or decrease to idle and then pitch is adjusted to maintain speed. This can give a rougher ride with more rapid thrust changes.

ki9cAAb.jpg

With a lightly-loaded high-performance aircraft, selecting FLCH climb will result in a rapid climb with uncomfortably (and therefore unacceptable) high deck angles.  In my G-IV and G-V flying, which involved flying a fair number of short legs with light fuel loads in a jet that can pack 10-12 hours of fuel, my technique was to use V/S mode limited to no more than 3000 fpm on initial climb to keep the deck angle under control, and then switch to FLCH climbing through ~10,000 feet when lightweight max climb performance won't slide the passenger's drinks off the table into their laps.

Air France flew (flies?) a B777 route from Paris, to Buenos Aires Argentina, to Santiago Chile, and back.  The short legs between SAEZ and SCEL are only ~1.5 hrs...I can only imagine what a FLCH climb would look like in a B777 with a 10-15% fuel load.

Bottom line--you're flying the jet...the A/P is just helping you do the job.  If you wouldn't select full climb EPR and horse the nose up to 25 deg nose-high while hand flying, then you shouldn't horse it up there with the automation, either.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case