Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Why does the flight simulator community just settle?

If Google would just make a sim out of Earth and get PMDG and RealAir to make airplanes for it...woh.

You'd just get a repeat of Microsoft and their woes with the Flight Simulator series.  A major corporate like Google with such wide interests would soon lose the appeal of a flight sim (especially when they discover the size of the market, and that the real money is is 3P content, not the base sim).   The dream flight sim IMHO needs to come from a company that is truly absorbed and dedicated.   Not another multi-national corp.   Someone like Laminar  (but XP10 just hasn't developed in a direction that suits us all - it's a divisive platform; like marmite, loved and hated in equal measure).   The option that excites me most would be Outerra; an innovative developer that has built a potential core engine.

Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc, etc    - forget it; they want wide appeal, low risk investments and are shareholder focussed, not flight simmer focussed.

Just my 2c.         But then again, I'm a leftie Swede haha!

• Upvote 1

Why do I settle for old flight simulator software made by a long gone company, or software that will never meet the demands of my hobby? ...  Sorry, it's just damn frustrating watching other games get developed while I settle.

I made a couple of changes in your initial post, hope you don't mind? Rather than lump the entire community into your dissatisfaction, you might try answering the above. Unless you are afraid of the truth? B)

I made a couple of changes in your initial post, hope you don't mind? Rather than lump the entire community into your dissatisfaction, you might try answering the above. Unless you are afraid of the truth? B)

I seldom dislike anything but changing what someone else has posted to suit yourself and your particular view is the height of ignorance in my book. It shows an incredible lack of basic respect for others. It seems you can speak for the OP but the OP cannot. How do you figure? :Straight Face:

• Upvote 1

I made a couple of changes in your initial post, hope you don't mind? Rather than lump the entire community into your dissatisfaction, you might try answering the above. Unless you are afraid of the truth?

I'm not the sensitive type, so if you need to change my post over semantics-- then fine.  Let me rephrase "I am dissatisfied that none of the developers in the community have tried to crowd fund a new simulator".   And that brother is the truth! :)

My point is that no credible developer has tried to Kickstart or crowd fund a new simulation using the new pay models (alpha pay) that many other games are using.  So why doesn't a developer like PMDG or Aerosoft just calculate how much it would cost to create a new simulator, then create a Kickstarter campaign and see what happens?  What's to lose?

Seriously, no one can even get a Kickstarter campaign started until they've at least got a working Alpha version prototype to demonstrate their legitimacy as developers.

No business plan, no matter how well developed, documented and supported will be enough. This suggests to me that this hypothetical company would have to supply the initial capital themselves through other means while they got their working prototype coded... :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I learned my lesson about buying (or donating) money for unfinished products a year ago or so. I purchased a product that was not fully complete and even when it was complete was still a very disappointing product. I am very reluctant to pre-order or buy incomplete products and definitely wouldn't donate any money to a kickstarter project regardless of who was developing it. That is just my opinion based on my own experiences, I like to see what the final product is before I just jump in.

Samuel Scully

Seriously, no one can even get a Kickstarter campaign started until they've at least got a working Alpha version prototype to demonstrate their legitimacy as developers.

No business plan, no matter how well developed, documented and supported will be enough. This suggests to me that this hypothetical company would have to supply the initial capital themselves through other means while they got their working prototype coded... :wacko:

And while said company is getting the working Prototype working, the entire FlightSim Community will spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours in the Forums dissecting said Company's efforts with an Electron Microscope; one half bashing every single thing wrong with the Prototype, while the other half is whining, begging, extorting and cajoling for their own 'slice' of the World. If that 'slice' isn't 1000% accurate in every definition of the word, then the ENTIRE Prototype is nothing but garbage, no one will buy it, etc. and so on... sound kind of familiar?

Personally, unless it's a corporate entity with a bottomless pocketbook and hundreds of Support, Design, and Marketing people backing the Project... a new FlightSim won't come to fruition. And, that Corporation better have a Customer Service Department with a hide as thick as Steel, to deflect all of the sticks, stones, boards and planks that will be hurled at them by the FS Community.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I seldom dislike anything but changing what someone else has posted to suit yourself and your particular view is the height of ignorance in my book. It shows an incredible lack of basic respect for others. It seems you can speak for the OP but the OP cannot. How do you figure? :Straight Face:

Actually in this case I think it was appropriate. The OP post was his personal opinion not the whole communities, as he worded it, that was all Chainsawz was pointing out! I know, I don't share the OP's opinion myself!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually in this case I think it was appropriate. The OP post was his personal opinion not the whole communities, as he worded it, that was all Chainsawz was pointing out! I know, the OP's  opinion is not mine!!

Yes I was able to grasp his point and I do not disagree with it. It was the manner in which he chose to make his point that I find less than civil. Others will find it perfectly acceptable.

Guest Mik75

I enjoy X-Plane 10, the most modern, up to date, 64 bit powered, amazingly realistic looking and feeling flight simulator a lot!

Dear Mr JSkorna!

Would you mind sharing the reason why you "disliked" this comment of mine? ;-)

I got a few "disagree" on this, but since everybody has its own opinion and is free to share it, I am totally fine with that.

But I would just love to know the reason for a "dislike" on my opinion, especially when it comes from an experienced forum user like you!

Thanks in advance for letting me know!

Be careful what you wish for ..............

Hey, at least it's got real world airlines in it. :lol:

N8Z9pOA.jpg

Steam is a bloody mess these days....

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

The simple answer to the OP's question is that  no one  thinks it's worthwhile developing a new flight simulation now.

Building an aircraft using a published SDK, and creating a new sim are quite different.