Sign in to follow this  
JohnSmith

SP1 Beta Testers: Performance Differences?

The "big" word for this is Syllogism. Wonder what Aristotle would have to say if he had FSX and the PMDG777? But we do digress from the original OP topic....

Regards,

Claude Franklin

My question on page 2 seems to have gotten lost.  

Kyle - as a beta tester can you please make comment regards below?

"Just to get back to the OP.

I think what we would like to know is, based on the beta testers systems, is there any difference in performance from running the original T7 to running the T7 SP1.  

Simply - have any of you found there to be improvements in performance on what you HAD to what you have now."

Hirdy

My question on page 2 seems to have gotten lost.  

Kyle - as a beta tester can you please make comment regards below?

"Just to get back to the OP.

I think what we would like to know is, based on the beta testers systems, is there any difference in performance from running the original T7 to running the T7 SP1.  

Simply - have any of you found there to be improvements in performance on what you HAD to what you have now."

Hirdy

Already answered.  Very first response in this thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/444846-sp1-beta-testers-performance-differences/#entry3014161

Kyle Rodgers

I need to get my eyes checked.

Sorry about that.  Forest for the trees????  Is that how it goes?

Cheers Kyle.

Hirdy

Sorry about that.  Forest for the trees????  Is that how it goes?

haha - it wasn't exactly the most direct answer, but it was the only one I felt comfortable giving, seeing that we're still testing a beta version, different hardware handles things differently (as in, I've still never seen any of the freeze issues that seemed to plague users here on the forum, etc.)

Plus, when a thread kicks off like that and runs in crazy circles for a while, it's tough to see the answers hidden in all of the tangents.  You're welcome.  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

I've never had any serious performance issues with the T7 either so if it were to remain the same I would be more than happy.

Looking forward to the additional functions that will be included in SP1.

Hirdy

The only time I've had OOM errors have been since I installed VECTOR with my FTX Global.  All I did to fix it was monitor the VAS landing at EGLL Xtreme (where I had an error).  And adjust settings in VECTOR like removing the tunnels, traffic lights, traffic etc.  Bingo.  Fixed.  It's a game of tweaks.  

I have not experienced freezes with my T7. My only problem performance wise has been landing lag (Now and again).

I believe the question was asked in an earlier post, has this been addressed?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

My only problem performance wise has been landing lag (Now and again).

I believe the question was asked in an earlier post, has this been addressed?

That could be due to your scenery/autogen settings. Try lowering them and see if it happens. I could be wrong, but if you're landing in a place like KJFK or using add-ons with extremely dense scenery and autogen, this will cause stuttering.

Hey Jeff, I have a fairly modest slider settings in FSX and can land at airports such as FSDT CYVR, KDFW or KLAX with the PMDG NGX a hundred times and never experience landing lag, but land the T7 at default CYYC and get lag. Only occasionally, but it does happen, so to me this is not my rig or settings.

My system is not a killer one, but it ain't half bad either and I opt for smooth performance vs maximum appearance and apart from this one little anomaly, I get just that.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Side bar question: Who has frames set to unlimited in the sim, but uses an external limiter?  I know it's recommended but is it needed?  If this is going to start another "depends on your specs" debate I'm sorry. 

Hey Jeff, I have a fairly modest slider settings in FSX and can land at airports such as FSDT CYVR, KDFW or KLAX with the PMDG NGX a hundred times and never experience landing lag, but land the T7 at default CYYC and get lag. Only occasionally, but it does happen, so to me this is not my rig or settings.

My system is not a killer one, but it ain't half bad either and I opt for smooth performance vs maximum appearance and apart from this one little anomaly, I get just that.

Regards,

Hmm, maybe Kyle or Ryan would know what causes this.

It seems like it's running better, but it all depends on how you've configured your own system, honestly...

Hey Kyle long time how are you man?

If that's what you're after then our addons probably aren't for you. Honest truth. If you value being able to 100% max your scenery, AI etc. more than the visual fidelity and systems realism of the airplane you're flying, then another company's airplane is going to be best for you. We make realistic addons - if we dumb down our systems and graphics, then quite frankly we're not PMDG. Fly by wire systems and ECLs and EICASes and FMCs and wx radars all use memory - that's just a fact. The 777 uses more memory *because it does a lot more*. There is no magic way for us to make a realistic simulation of such a complex aircraft that has the memory footprint of a default MS aircraft. That is just unreasonable and demonstrates a lack of knowledge about how software works if you consider that a requirement.

*sigh* you were asked that more than a year ago before the LR release and now once more. Must take patience constantly answering the same darn questions

Flying Tigers Group

Side bar question: Who has frames set to unlimited in the sim, but uses an external limiter?  I know it's recommended but is it needed?  If this is going to start another "depends on your specs" debate I'm sorry.

different users will recommend different things.

It is up to you to test what works best for you.

I recommend using the sim locked at 30fps internally.

By no means use an external limiter!

Then download Nvidia inspector and use a setting called 1/2Vsync.

This will give you the smoothest (stutter free) motion possible.

But....you have to be able to maintain 30fps during most of your simming time and you have to fly in full screen mode. Otherwise 1/2Vsync will not work.

As an alternative to 1/2Vsync you can use the Force On setting.

(30fps lock not required and full screen not required)

I am using that at the moment because my installation is still fairly fresh and I am testing with this mode first.

It does quite good as well and due to the slow motion of a 777 like aircraft it is pretty smooth even in this Force On mode.

Rob Robson

I too was not really interested in another VAS discussion.

What i wanted to know is; Has VAS been reduced a little with SP1 or not?

The reasone I ask is because, if I remember correctly, a while ago there was talk about PMDG looking into giving us more options to reduce VAS.

What I dont understand in general is why addon developers dont give us more options.

I actually wrote Drzwecki a few weeks ago with the same question:

"Do you give the user install options to reduce VAS and improve performance as needed?"

Like:

Static airplanes - yes/no

HD textures - yes/no

3D grass - yes/no

miving people yes/no

etc etc

Answere:" that is not needed, our addons are made for optimum performance already"

Not the answere I was looking for!

And as soon as their New York Airports was out, reports of stutters, black scenery areas, OOM etc.

So I would like to know if we are now given options to tailor the 777 to our needs:

HD textures - yes/no

external animations - yes/no

sound set - realistic/light

etc etc

I am not a software developer so I dont know how much options like that would reduce OOM and how easy or difficult it is to give us those options.

And I am also very reasonable with not adding too many addons on top of each other.

I am flying out of default FSX KJFK airport for example and if Drzwecki KJFK does not work (VAS wise t should though....I asked, and their support said it uses about 400MB) then I will keep flying out of default KJFK.

Because I too agree that FSX is a flightsim......not a scenery sim!

And the PMDG777 is worth it to tune down other things. (my opinion)

But having said that, it would still be nice to have options!

Rob Robson