Sign in to follow this  
markjj

OOM Issues

Hi guys, for the first time, I received an out of memory crash in FSX using the PMDG 777 on the Seattle to Hong Kong leg. Anyways, I am well aware about the limitations of FSX and that there is no real workaround to the problem besides lowering some settings. Anyways, I am considering using Bojote's tweaking tool now. I know that it won't solve the issue, but I've heard about the numerous performance boosts people have got from it. Does anyone else use this tool and does it affect any add ons (ex: PMDG planes) in a negative way? Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Mark,

you gave no hint about your system specs, fsx.cfg and options settings (REX, Weather, etc...)

But beside of lowering some visual settings there are known workarounds to prevent OOM.

clean up scenery library uncheck sceneries which aren't necessary for the current flight

turn off the RAAS option (PMDG 77L)

I personally wouldn't recommend the usage of any tweaking tools. 

Hi, the only FSX cfg tweak I have is the Highmemfix. I have an i7 4930k over clocked to 4.1ghz with 16gb of ram and a GTX 780. I have no add on scenery besides FSDreamteam JFK and I use Active Sky Next with REX textures. Besides that I only using payware aircraft alongside FSInn (for VATSIM). Also, Bojote simply analyzes a copy of the FSX cfg and sends you a new one. It is not like the fsps tools available. Anyways thanks for the help and do you have any more tips for OOM workarounds or cfg edits? Thanks

Hi Mark,

I have been using Bojotes tool for years.   For the OOM issues you might try,, Word Not Allowed's flight simulation world. Also you can link your FSUIPC to show the amount of unused VAS memory that is available...

Cheers,

Jfriz

Thanks for the replies. I have used the bojote tweaking tool and there is a very noticeable fps improvement! I get about 10fps more on average. The only negative side effect is that I will rarely get a crash. I got an error saying FSX has stopped working, and I believe that this is related to the cfg tweaks. Any thoughts? Btw I also installed the "Fix It" file provided by Kostas to help the OOM issue provided on his website. Thanks

I've chosen to all but cease flights with the PMDG 777 due to not being able to fly into most payware airports regardless of using all the recommendations made by PMDG to prevent (reduce) OOMs.

It is my humble opinion that PMDG went too far with the aircraft and POSSIBLY the coding is not as lean as it could be, thus creating a bloated, memory hog of an aircraft.  Nice aircraft for flying into default scenery I suppose, and I certainly won't argue that it's a fine simulator.  But I simply can't use it without an OOM, so I've had to shelve it. I can't shake the feeling that there may be a memory leak as well, but I have no proof yet of this. 

FYI: I fly with a good number of guys very experienced with FSX and higher level flight simulation, and I've done in-depth tech support on the simulator for over 6 years and well over 100 different systems, and we're all of the same opinion regarding not being able to use the 777, at least when we're using payware scenery, REX Textures (set to low) and Active Sky Next.  We've tried everything with dismal results and OOMs prior to approach to our destinations.

Anyway... offered for what it's worth.

"not being able to use the 777"? Airports alone brings FSX to it's knees these days - lol, why blame the plane? I prefer the detailed aircraft over the detailed airport anyway.

Dave, have you tried turning off some airport traffic and static aircraft at the payware airport? I found the 777 is only around 600Mb over a stock aircraft so it's not anything to complain about. How big's the addon airport compared to the stock airport?

Another thing to try; let's say for arguments sake you're flying into Heathrow and have that and Gatwick installed. Can try turning off Gatwick from the scenery menu before arrival or even before the flight.

What is your  LOD settings?  If it is 6.5, I strongly suggest use 4.5 settings. I never experience OOM after changed to 4.5 settings.

What is your LOD settings? If it is 6.5, I strongly suggest use 4.5 settings. I never experience OOM after changed to 4.5 settings.

May I ask what the LOD setting is? Haha sorry for the ignorance

I can't shake the feeling that there may be a memory leak as well, but I have no proof yet of this.

Dave, I have found the T7 to be consistent with regard to memory use. If I take off from Fly Tampa Vienna, and once airborne, I have 1.8Gb of free VAS. When I arrive at FT Dubai and before the scenery loads I have still got 1.8GB free after 7hours in flight. Once Dubai loads, I am down to 1100GB free VAS and stays at that usage till I am parked at the gate. And could stay like that for hours, if I walked away and left it.

To me that tells me there is no memory leak with the T7 or even FT Dubai, as the VAS does not diminish once it reaches the level as I posted 1100GB.

Now if there was a memory leak, I would not make it to Dubai, I would probably OOM over Iraq.

Now if I was to take off from EGGL (UK2000) I would need to either remove the model to save free VAS  (300mb ) or save the flight to refresh the VAS completely. I prefer the later, as it only takes a couple of minutes, Nothing running secondary to fsx is affected by saving and restarting, as long as I don't touch it. Like EFB, FS Commander, Acars, ASN  etc etc. PMDG planes are very good when it comes to saving and restarting, never had a fail yet.

If I want to fly from KLAX to EGLL, I do the same about 200nm out, save and restart. So just before I arrive at Heathrow, I have 2.4 GB of free VAS By the time I arrive I have enough VAS to watch GSX unload the plane etc. I can leave it sitting there for a few hours and it will not OOM.

I never use wing view or spot view, in flight, that can cost you up to 300mb of VAS each time you do that.

Download and Run it.

Top Menu: View - Select Columns

Under Process Memory tick Virtual Size

Close

Rearrange the columns so that Virtual Memory (VAS) is the first

Watch the number. I get 3.1 at EGLL (UK2000 Normal Settings), FTX Global, Vector and England, OpusFSI Beta. By the time I hit the North Sea It's running about 2.7. PMDG T7. FPS Limited to 20 and running around 18 (16-20). FSX set to Ultra High throughout. ONLY and ALL Nick's fixes to FS.cfg and Nvidia Inspector applied. Texture_Max_Load = 4096 (For REX). NOTHING else changed.

Never used Bojote's tweaking tool. Nick suggests not to?

Very Happy Camper!

Never used Bojote's tweaking tool. Nick suggests not to?

Not for modern systems. I agree with Nick

Mark,

IT is in Fsx.cfg file

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

I got many OOM with 6.5 and lowered to 4.5 no more OOM.

May be it will help you also.

There is no memory leak in the 777 - what does happen is that FSX fails to release scenery from memory after you fly over it, which causes a slow degradation in VAS over the course of the flight. (try with a default airplane, you'll see the same thing happen) It also loads all the photoscenery you have installed worldwide right at startup. This was done by design when FSX was made because of the ability to zoom out to the full "globe" type view. 8+ years ago, the idea that we'd have the kinds of addons we have today (or that FSX would still be in use 8 years later for that matter) wasn't anywhere in the developers' minds.

If you're going to blame us for the OOM issue you should also blame the developers of your scenery, weather, AI traffic, your own slider settings, etc. too. I tend to take the view that what's right in front of you in the cockpit is probably the most important thing, especially if you are doing airliner flying... that would argue for making compromises elsewhere in your setup than with the aircraft. If we compromise the functionality or visual quality of our products so that people can run other maxed-out type products, then we're not really PMDG anymore are we?

My advice (and my last flight was a 15 hour yyz to hkg) with no ooms is to check the texture settings at 2056 and not 4096.

Keep the lod raduis down and if landing at dreamteam lax, or yvr turn off ai traffic.

The only places I get ooms is yvr,lax and egll and that's ai on. If I turn it off then I don't get them

I started getting OOM's after along absence of them, rebulit my FSX.cfg, added a few tweaks, no OOM's and I was flying out of KEWR which will be heavy memory usage wise. Planning a 16 hour flight so hopefully wont get any more.

My two pennies worth.

I loaded up my FSX with the PMDG 777 at UK2000's Heathrow, parked at the gate. I did my preflight and used GSX. I have Activesky weather with REX textures, OrbX Global, Vector, England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I had other UK airports installed and was flying to Taxi2Gate Orlando. At this time I had no AI traffic or ATC.

I fired up Process Explorer and checked the VAS, 3.8Gb !!!. Oh no, I thought, there is no way that I am going to make this flight without an OOM, however as I had already gone through everything else to set up, I continued. I carried on with my taxi to the runway and took off, about 20FPS. As I flew I watched my VAS as it dropped down to 3.2Gb and lower as I continued to climb into the clouds. As I levelled out I checked the VAS again, 2.9Gb, my frame rates at a steady 60FPS. In the end I landed at Orlando with about 3.2Gb used.

I then wanted to test with some AI traffic, loaded up the same scenario and BOOM!, out of memory.

After a recent other problem, needing a complete reformat and install, I decided to go old school. I dug out some old software, UTX, GEX and FEX for textures, Loaded up the same scenario and checked the VAS, 2.9Gb and a couple of frames extra. Even with 30% AI, it only comes to 3.2Gb. Does it look as good? When I'm taking off in a 777 then yes. I have yet to do a full flight as trying FSPS new fibre accelerator seems to have screwed up my framerates.

My conclusion: Yes the PMDG 777 is heavy on memory. Is it PMDG's fault, no, you want a plane the size of the 777 with complex systems and high quality detail, then you have to sacrifice something. You could have high quality land and water, top quality airports and fly around in the Aerosoft Airbus with no problems, however it is not as detailed with textures and not as detailed with features. I could have flown around for weeks with a Cessna and my previous setup. 

There is no memory leak in the 777

Ryan, I'm going to take this offline, if you don't mind.

If we compromise the functionality or visual quality of our products so that people can run other maxed-out type products, then we're not really PMDG anymore are we?
This is one of the best quotes of 2014. I think I might have to include it in my signature if that's alright with you Ryan.

Is it just me, or is there a correlation between assertions of being "behind the curve"/buggy/etc and being beta testers for another developer (one in particular)?

scandinavian13, on 09 Jul 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Is it just me, or is there a correlation between assertions of being "behind the curve"/buggy/etc and being beta testers for another developer (one in particular)?

Hmm... quite true, but will you get away with it? If I suggested that, It would be advised I crawl through broken glass and pay every forum member a large sum of money. (See recent thread)

Hmm... quite true, but will you get away with it? If I suggested that, It would be advised I crawl through broken glass and pay every forum member a large sum of money. (See recent thread)

Yeah.  Saw that.  Who knows.  I usually don't get away with much...haha.

Hi again and just a quick update. I installed the VAS usage monitor and did a test flight from Singapore to Tokyo Narita, a flight that took me about 6 and a half hours. By the time I took off I used about 2.6gb of VAS (PMDG 777, Active Sky Next, REX Textures, and GSX were all used). Settings were also almost maxed out (traffic sliders at 0 due to VATSIM traffic, and LOD slightly reduced along with auto gen and scenery complexity a notch below max). The VAS remained about the same through the whole flight, actually slightly decreasing to 2.5gb used. I then eventually commenced the descent down into Narita, did a go around (long story), and made a nice smooth touchdown of -66fpm. I taxied to the gate, connected to ground power and external air through the FS Actions menu in the FMC, and GSX was already running by this point (they marshalled me in and began the deboarding process). By the time this was all said and done, the final VAS usage was right at 3.1gb. Keep in mind that most of the cruise, the VAS remained almost locked at 2.5gb, so I think I helped fix (or workaround) the issue using the suggestions made here by lowering the LOD and downloading the "Fix It" tool on Kostas' page. Thanks everyone for the help