Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

If it quacks like a duck etc.

Well done, sir.

spacer.png

Indeed, most curious.

Steve has refrained from making similar changes to the shader code in P3d and maybe he's just sitting back to see how the Dovetail licensing shakes out.

Cannot agree entirely with that. The "flight dynamics engine" of MS Flight is an improved version of the FSX engine, where P3D is still using the old FDE. But the MS Flight code certainly isn't 64 bit, and I doubt Dovetail has any plans (or the capability for that matter) to convert it to 64 bit.

MSFlight may be somewhat improved. There really is no way to prove that unless you see it running the whole world with some advanced addons. We will never really know the answer to that one but I do understand your point. The problem is....that pig went to the slaughter house with last weeks bacon. P3D is a living developing product with what appears to be a very dedicated team who actually is listening to our request.

Not going into which is best crap. I just happen to like P3D and you may be just as happy with FSX.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Coincidence that Steve's DX10 Fixer was removed shortly before this FSX deal? Perhaps they are in discussions and will incorporate the DX10 Fixer into this new FSX Steam release.

Probably more likely that he ran into some legal problems for altering the game in such a way. 

Converting the Flight engine to 64 bit would be pointless for the next 5 years or so.  With the optimizations in the engine, it has about 3-5x the addressable memory of FSX depending on your amount of video memory.

[cough] Abacus [cough] Arianedesign 

The sad fact is Ariane is going to try and charge you $100 for a $20 add-on...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Not sure if this has been posted, but like mentioned on another site it looks like just a disturbution issue.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2014/07/09/microsofts-flight-simulator-returns-sort-of/

Under its deal with Microsoft, Dovetail will distribute the circa 2006 “Flight Simulator X” through Steam, the PC game service and store operated by Bellevue-based Valve.

New versions of that particular game would have to come from Microsoft. It retained all development rights to “Flight Simulator,” according to Xbox spokesman David Dennis.

That seems to seal the deal. Sounds like they are going to make other type games. Don't forget that there are many many people out there who think "Farm Simulator" is great.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Probably more likely that he ran into some legal problems for altering the game in such a way. 

My thoughts as well... Especially if Dovetail is somewhat agressive (as some have stated here) ...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

My thoughts as well... Especially if Dovetail is somewhat agressive (as some have stated here) ...

That actually opens up other possibilities. Perhalps MS is not happy with the progress that LM is having. This Dovetail seems to have a poor rep in general. Perhalps this may be how MS is setting up for some legal scraps with LM and they use this company to keep the MS name out of the bad press?? Now there is a yummy thought....More popcorn please!!

Sam

MS makes money off P3D, or has made money off it. And a lot of it by most accounts. That ESP license didn't come cheap. 

They aren't going to kill a multi-million dollar deal just so they can sell a few thousand more copies of FSX via Dovetail.

That actually opens up other possibilities. Perhalps MS is not happy with the progress that LM is having. This Dovetail seems to have a poor rep in general. Perhalps this may be how MS is setting up for some legal scraps with LM and they use this company to keep the MS name out of the bad press?? Now there is a yummy thought....More popcorn please!!

What? LM out right own the IP of ESP and the source code to it. It has nothing to do with MS at this point. That conspiracy theory is out out the window.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Lets look at it positively.

No selfrespecting plane/scenery builder is going to release anything anymore for FSX to only help Dovetail who snatched the useable codelicense from before them, but probably mainly for P3D because the developer then has it all under their own control.

This will mean the amount of addons for P3D will jump up, feedback to LM will go up and P3D will get better even quicker.

I see a pretty good extra case now to really dump the mess FSX was (programming wise) once and for all.

As Flight was already conclusively dumped.

Why everyone is crying about it, we have already lots of new FSX addons like DX10 fixer and fiber accelerator, Prepar3D v2 etc. If it turns out like their train simulator, then don't use. I don't have much hope from it anyway, it will take years that developers convert their addon even if it become successful.

What? LM out right own the IP of ESP and the source code to it. It has nothing to do with MS at this point. That conspiracy theory is out out the window.

Sir I can live with that!! :lol: You know ....this whole thing makes no sense at all!! Other than for a bit of fun I can see no reason to even chat about it. Ever since the first announcement that MS was pulling the plug on FSX it has been just one huge sloooooow moving train derailing goat rope. and.....Now some poorly run company dumps a huge pile of money on the flames. It is just a puzzle???

Tom....help us here....you must know!!

Sam