Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Sound upgrade (How To)

I bought the Seneca tonight and I have to say the default planes sound better than this thing so I replaced the sounds with those from the Carenado C337 since both use the IO-360 it sounds much better now.

To do it all you have to do is copy the files from the C337 and rename them the same as the RPM sound files in the Seneca V sound folder and replace the crappy Seneca sounds.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

I exchanged the original seneca-V sounds with the "Skysong Soundworks Seneca HD FSX soundset" and I am very pleased with it! It is payware at Fspilotshop.

To get the C337 sounds in the Seneca, you can replace the sound.cfg file by:

[FLTSIM]
Alias= Carenado Skymaster 337\sound

Hi,

I exchanged the original seneca-V sounds with the "Skysong Soundworks Seneca HD FSX soundset" and I am very pleased with it! It is payware at Fspilotshop.

Would these sounds work in P3Dv2.3?

Would these sounds work in P3Dv2.3?

I don´t have P3D in any version, so I cannot give an answer, sorry!

I did an Avsim review of this Oovee UK Sound Pack for the C337H a couple of years ago. This might fit nicely as replacement sounds for the Seneca V. The improvements in the 337H were very noticeable and the base 337H sounds we're already so much better than the first release of the Seneca V.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0212/Oovee/Sound.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kNcMQIVKR7k

Regards,

Ray

Guys, "Skysong Soundworks - Piper Seneca V/II HD Audio Pack FSX", just 12 dollars, that's the way to go!, I just got them yesterday and they're just perfect!!!!!!!!!!, much better than the original!, I didn't believe too much in skysong's sound packs, but this one, really exceeded my expectations!!!!!!!, interior and exterior sounds are much much better, it sounds like the real Seneca V, go and get it!, the OOVEE C337 sound pack, is a very well done sound pack, but nothing similar to the real Seneca it has a unique sound...they sound close, but not as the Seneca sound... ;) I highly recommend them...

I do like that soundset, however, the rolling sound has a "thump" in it that I found repetitive.. so I cut it out.. and now it is better..

Hi,

Skysongs other addon-sounds like for the Baron or Twin-Cessnas are even better than his seneca-sounds!

Doing no commercials here, just telling from my well-worth purchases.

Cheers and I am enjoying the Seneca VERY, VERY much here!

Hi,

Skysongs other addon-sounds like for the Baron or Twin-Cessnas are even better than his seneca-sounds!

Doing no commercials here, just telling from my well-worth purchases.

Cheers and I am enjoying the Seneca VERY, VERY much here!

Might have to look into them for my Milviz B55

Does anyone hear any gear sounds?

The gear warning seems to be missing and the gear up and down sounds are too faint to be heard..

Does anyone hear any gear sounds?

The gear warning seems to be missing and the gear up and down sounds are too faint to be heard..

Yeah I agree with that...maybe a fix for it?, increase volume in the gear sounds and fix the gear warning...we should make it know to the developer...

Hmm.  Was going to try the Arezone Seneca II sounds even though the II would be a compromise.  The Arezone sounds for the Malibu pretty much rescued that plane for me, but I'm intrigued by the comments on the Skysong soundset, particularly as it appears to be from a Seneca V.  Will probably give that a try instead.

As for the 337 as a source, a couple of things to note.  There are actually substantial differences between the 337's engine/prop combo and what's in the Seneca V.  While I know it's better than the Seneca's default set which really doesn't sound like much of anything, the 337 has its own unique sound and really doesn't sound much like a Seneca IRL.  Leaving aside the positioning of the engines, the 337 uses Continental IO360's (normally aspirated, fuel injected) with 2-blade props, while the Seneca V has TSIO360's (Turbo-charged, intercooled, fuel injected) with 3 blade props which crank out about 20 additional HP, in part due to a max RPM increase.

And finally, while I hate to disagree with Ray as I greatly respect his opinions and always enjoy his comprehensive reviews, I have to comment as I feel pretty strongly about this one.  For me, the Oovee soundset was pretty much a complete waste of money and a substantial downgrade from the stock 337 sounds inside the cockpit.  They did sound pretty nice outside as I recall, but inside they were just bad - muted, with a short and obvious repetitive loop and lacking proper sound transitions for prop vs throttle changes.  For example, with the stock sounds I can change prop settings on one engine and hear the proper lovely, discordant beat frequency caused by the two props being out of sync.  Doing the same with the Oovee soundset, I got nothing.

At any rate, good discussion with some nice (and badly needed) sound alternatives.  Thanks to the OP and to all participants.

Scott

For me, the Oovee soundset was pretty much a complete waste of money and a substantial downgrade from the stock 337 sounds inside the cockpit. They did sound pretty nice outside as I recall, but inside they were just bad - muted, with a short and obvious repetitive loop and lacking proper sound transitions for prop vs throttle changes.

Scott, You are, of course, correct in you assessment of the Oovee original C337H Soundset, but the v1.1 and v1.2 corrected those points plus a few others. The revised Oovee Soundset is available as a free download to the original purchasers.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks for the update on the Oovee soundset Ray.  I do have the first patch (1.1) but not the second.  Will have to give that a try the next time I pull the 337 out for a spin.

Also picked up and installed the Skysong sounds yesterday and dragged the plane out of the back of the hangar to try.  Better?  Yes, but still not that good.  One of my big hot buttons for sounds relates to how obvious the sound loops are and unfortunately, at climb and cruise power settings they're very obvious.  Both engine/prop and wind noises in fact  Gear and flap sounds are still almost inaudible as well, but perhaps they really are that way on a Seneca V.

Anyway, I think it's time to start trying a few other sound files as selective replacements.  In the meantime, pending SP release, back in the hangar it goes.

Scott

Oovee main web site looks like they gave up on sound sets. I got the skysong just now.. my #1 pet peeve is the sound on any aircraft. I have some home grown sets in the lib. If you have a Beech 18 in the hanger, I believe my set for it is the best ever made... and its free.

I also just added the Skysong Seneca V Sound set and it is a huge improvement.

Regards,

Ray

Well, I'm sorry to say, but the SkySong may be even worse... sounds like 4 chain saws running together with little or no pitch change with prop pitch. Startup sound is horrendous... not the worst 12 bucks I ever lost, but this set is a no go also.

I digress... it's not an easy task to produce sound sets... and I only know of one studio that has people actually go outside and record real sound, and that's TSS.

If I had the funds and access, the only way to really do it, is to have a propless engine in a neutral sound room... then change to a prop spun up to RPM range for prop sounds... then place the entire plane on a shake table to mimic vibration clatter inside and out.  Then you would have to do this all again outside for the natural ambience of air and machine together... and that's before you go up at a towerless remote airport to record the interior with not radios on, no B'in Bettys, no boops, no beeps, and no people moving around with corduroy cloths.

RealAir does a super job, but the interiors don't account for room size, shape, and obstacles... so its a hard thing to do... and make any money from it.

Heya Henry, 

Don't know about the SkySong kit, but I do have your Baron TC update and the sounds you created were a pretty nice improvement over stock. I "upgraded" to the Oovee set, and while I find the sound in the cockpit slightly better (has more of a high-performance sound to it, if that makes any sense), the spot view sound is the SUCK! Sounds like a Dutch windmill with a broken blade...

I know you have cautioned me on sound editing (a slippery slope, indeed!), but your external view with the Oovee internal would be good. Ah, well.

And to anybody that cares, Henry (HawkDsl) has a great (terrific) turbo upgrade to the Carenado C337 and Baron, both "approved" by Carenado. Highly recommended. Once you go turbo, you never go back!!!

Well, I'm sorry to say, but the SkySong may be even worse... sounds like 4 chain saws running together with little or no pitch change with prop pitch.

I've got the Skysong sound set as well, and made two changes..

1. fix the groundroll loop and 2. remove the high RPM hissing sounds..

Try it and see..

For 1. replace the SENIIRoll sound by a slightly shortened version (contact me for a copy)

For 2. rename SENII_rpm4 right and left by adding xx to the name and

copy SENII_rpm3 right and left and rename the copies to rpm4.

Do not touch the xSENII sounds.