Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D v2.3 is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

But... I see the same behavior in FSX... I can also see it in FS9.

It is a physical hardware limitation. Ironically, if you were using a CRT display... you wouldn't notice this much, if at all.

Movies have the same problem... but image latency is why they can run 24fps and you not notice the issue. Unfortunately, an LCD screen has no such thing as image latency.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I locked my fps at 21 since my res is  3840x2160

and most importantly

turned the fps display OFF

:ph34r: with only the very occasional peeking,..... sung to song :"I can't take my eyes off of you" , by Frank Sinatra

It is a physical hardware limitation. Ironically, if you were using a CRT display... you wouldn't notice this much, if at all.

Thanks Ed that is a excellent explanation of why my weak systems has stutters when looking out the side.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Ok... what you're calling 'stuttering' in my video... actually isn't.

A stutter is where the entire image/scene has a pause, ever so briefly or not so briefly. That is a stutter.

Thanks for posting that. I've been meaning to correct that misimpression about stutters before but thought that it wasn't worth the effort. I rarely see stutters with P3d and when I do it's usually coincident with a weather download combined with flying a complex aircraft in overcast conditions. All that just overtaxes my system.

The preloads of scenery items was done in FSX an ellipse area. Far to the front and less to the sides and back. Stutters/shimmering/etc at the side may be mostly caused by the need to deal with more complex calculations. Straight ahead should be simpler than things arriving at an angle to the aircraft. I find the worse stuttering looking out the windows at about a 330 degree angle. Lots of GPU work there.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Ok... what you're calling 'stuttering' in my video... actually isn't.

A stutter is where the entire image/scene has a pause, ever so briefly or not so briefly. That is a stutter.

If when you look out the side you see like an individual shrub or tree not flow so smoothly past your view... that's not a stutter. That's an object translation issue that is most likely caused by the sheer lack of a supercomputer to calculate the movement of an object across the screen at 100mph smoothly. Or it could be that in order to see that object move fluidly would require about 100fps+.

However, that's not a stutter and because you're calling it that... I think I now understand why some complain about stuttering and the rest of us are wonder what they're on about because we're not seeing stutters.

To be clear, a stutter affects the entire screen image, not an object in the current scene itself while the rest of the scene moves fluidly.

Thanks for this very enlightening post! I now also understand why some say they have buttersmooth performance while I think 'Come again...?' I also have to say now that I've been guilty of repeatedly moaning about microstutters which clearly weren't microstutters at all... I also have to add that KNOWING this, made P3D even more enjoyable! I was already 'back in sim heaven' but still that not too smooth passing of objects on the sides slightly annoyed me, mainly because I couldn't understand why I couldn't solve this problem with my brand new PC. Now that I understand why I can't solve it and that it's not a problem which can't be solved in any way, I can forget about this: it won't annoy me anymore because I know this simply is how it is. (Quite often simple knowledge of certain things can 'solve' problems already!) So thanks again for your post! ^_^

I fully understand about the micro stutter issue, however what I am trying to establish is when I look out of the window all is smooth then micro stuttering for a few seconds then smooth then micro stuttering every 7 seconds or so.

Is this because the way LM programmed it? eg is it empting a cache or something...again P32D streets a head of FSX in everything but FSX does not stutter scenery or banking so why should P3D when it is being optimised for GC...

Just want to throw this out there for collective thoughts not is p3d is than FSX or visa versa, if I could stop this very apparent stop start stutter I would be a very happy flyer but for me it is not what  I need with default setting and aircraft.

FLAPS15 - if you have an event that occurs every 7 seconds I'd seriously look at everything in you system that could be "phoning home" or checking status.FOr example - wireless printers repeatedly check their connections - this could have an effect. ANy programs o windows set to auto update. An add-on perhaps - but I really doubt that it is LM's programming.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guys stutters will be induced if you do not find the correct fps setting in your P3D menu for each aircraft being used - I have stutters if you dont for instance prop carenados for me run at 38 fps - heavies have to run at Unlimited use this method problems are gone - IT WORKS try it

Rich Sennett

ok update,

this is driving me nuts! so been flying with AERO mode on to stop VSynch issues and tearing but get the 7 second stutters.

Went back to Win Desktop common mode, all the tearing is back....but no 7 second stutter? smooth, reverse to try again stutter back.

Trouble is Nvidia will not engage the force Vsynch either via NI or desktop...so stuck with no stutter but tearing when looking around...

well thought I would let you know back to fiddling around... 

I fully understand about the micro stutter issue, however what I am trying to establish is when I look out of the window all is smooth then micro stuttering for a few seconds then smooth then micro stuttering every 7 seconds or so.

Is this because the way LM programmed it? eg is it empting a cache or something...again P32D streets a head of FSX in everything but FSX does not stutter scenery or banking so why should P3D when it is being optimised for GC...

Just want to throw this out there for collective thoughts not is p3d is than FSX or visa versa, if I could stop this very apparent stop start stutter I would be a very happy flyer but for me it is not what  I need with default setting and aircraft.

Flaps, it could simply be the access/render time of bringing it (files) from your hard drive, and then the time to render the advancing scene.  When you see any of what you call 'stutter'...see if your hard drive activity light is showing access.....

Is it true? One cannot use P3D unless they have Multimillion $ PC..

Can we use same settings as High as FSX ?

~GTX680 and i7 2600K@4.2Ghz

1y329d.jpg

Is it true? One cannot use P3D unless they have Multimillion $ PC..

Can we use same settings as High as FSX ?

~GTX680 and i7 2600K@4.2Ghz

The 'same settings' would be actually lower settings values in Prepar3D.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have been following this one and I do not believe there is anyone here that is going to be able to explain this. The only ones are going to be the dev's. We all have the stutters. Some small, some big, and some in between. What this means is that the devs see it also. Knowing that, it would be a better approach to post on their forum.

Regards

Bob