Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D v2.3 is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

XPX is way way better at casting light effects in HDR mode, just can't compare with what P3D has to offer, PERIOD.

A few days ago I paid for the a 30 day test run and downloaded 2.2,  I was really impressed with what LM has done visually and performance wise, kind of made me think again the possibility of taking the plunge. Then here comes 2.3, after downloading the 155mb file and updated, I just didn't had the same experience i had with 2.2 performance wise using same settings. So I said, ok lest just re-download and install a fresh 2.3,....total disappointment, 2.3 is just not up to par with 2.2 in terms of performance and honestly I didn't see any major improvements. I don't see anywhere in 2.3 what Mitch has very so enthusiastically described.

So,  I would take Mitch's enthusiasm with a little bit of salt.

Guess something is wrong on your side, because v2.3 completely blows out of the water v2.2. It's much much better.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Well I am with Mitch. The transformation is just stunning. The HDR lighting is so realistic even down to creating eye adjustment as you turn into bright sunlight. The night environment is also much much better - but no it doesn't have the light casting as does XPX which is very realistic - but it does have more variation in the night lighting which gives it a very nice visual - vastly improved. I still get a slight feeling though of disappointment that the street lights and taxi/runway lights are just floating orbs in P3D, whereas X Plane has lamp posts and stanchions which are very realistic in isolation if not a bit monotonous in that they are so uniform.

One silly little thing I noticed flying near Prince Rupert in Orbx PNW at night is that all the channel buoys are all properly placed and lit at night (red and green). Not seen that in any sim before but I may have missed it. Really adds to be immersion though.

But overall my vote now goes to P3D for overall lighting effects by some margin night and day - you do feel like you have real sunshine during the day, with real shadows etc - much closer call at night but P3D just shaves it. This was not the case for me in v2.2 and I kept going back to X Plane for full immersion - but not now. Will post a screen shot of the sun on the panel of my A2A Cherokee tomorrow when back with my PC - it is stunning - I use three monitors so when I post it if you have three monitors be sure to show if full screen. If not you will sort of get the effect but not in the same way.

The only issue I have with the visuals is the extremely shiny water - using REX TD HD with the P3D HDR option ticked. But no matter which ocean and wave setting I use the water is too shiny. I believe LM are working on water issue as are a REX. But if anyone has found a way to dull the ocean down a bit please share.

Performance is now very fluid - the equal of X Plane. LM really have pulled the rabbit out of the hat in all areas. It is so compelling.......and yes I too am getting those looks from the other half....it is so hard to close down the sim....just want more and more!

Cheers Peter

Peter...I suggest (as per REX Direct 4) you use Medium Default for water color...and then for wave effect, use Glimmer. You should see this combo running in v2.3 HDR .  As you do a 360 over the ocean...it can bring tears to your eyes....how the light catches the waves when there is a wind element...and oh...try ORBX Weather number 4,  until we get ASN back...that is what I am using..and it gives you a real ride-of-change as though you DID have weather injection running....try the above...and see what it does for ya....and oh, this combination removes the plastic look of the surface, especially if you have a real-time Dynamic Contrast feature, such as is on my Samsung monitor.

Just to clarify your description...

On my machine, FSX has always ruled the day (flying), and XPX has always ruled the night (flying). I have alway thought that XPX has an awesome way to cast light onto objects that seemed real (and not just glowing textuers to appears as if light is casting). Such as, the car headlights that cast onto roads and sparkles across water etc in XPX.

So...are you saying that P3D now has that "casting light" effect that is similar to the way XPX looks at night? Meaning, I could finally have the best of both worlds in one sim?

When I was at Dusk...and with HDR on...and when I turned the plane to taxi...yes...my taxi lights on the Carenado C377 did light up the neighbor static object fuselage...which made my mouth drop open.  as soon as they cleared the fuselage...the static plane object went darker... yes...that is what I report. Exactly the same as in XPX..but NOT...as intense.  There was no many-feet-away radiated light, as you see in XPX, with HDR turned on.  No...but up close...there was an effect as I describe.  It was a static ORBX object my C377 lit up...

maybe I can tweak the wife to be ok with it?

Anyone know what folder is her cfg file in?
:LMAO:  

If you ever find it, please let me know... LOL

337.88 is the one you want for the time being.

This is the driver suite that I make all my observation and comments against....it works like a champ.

Hey you guys are pretty excited. Im almost with you except i have allot of Blue triangles on the terrain , evidently courtesy of Nvidia drivers. So no tessellation. 

Can you guys let me know what card/drivers you are using to achieve these fantastic results.

Pete

337.88 is driving a GTX680 2 GB card.  v2.3 totally freed up my card's potential.   Right out of the gate..I was getting 5-8 fps with all my sliders the same as was in v2.2  Cloud shadows that were on medium...are now on high...and still, my FPS post- v2.2 is higher!  LM did some serious tampering with this release!

:LMAO:  

If you ever find it, please let me know... LOL

try these settings in your wife.cfg     if you ever find it

OpenCreditCard=1

LeaveMeAlone=90

MyDivinityMask=255

MuteDinerCall=1

MowTheLawn=0

HideTaskList=1

I will try some others later and let you know

OpenCreditCard=1

LeaveMeAlone=90

MyDivinityMask=255

MuteDinerCall=1

MowTheLawn=0

HideTaskList=1

Awesome... love it....

I could add:

ShoppingAvailability=0

IgnoreNag=1

OpenCreditCard=1

LeaveMeAlone=90

MyDivinityMask=255

MuteDinerCall=1

MowTheLawn=0

HideTaskList=1

:LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

Guess something is wrong on your side, because v2.3 completely blows out of the water v2.2. It's much much better.

Well unless my Asus Sabertooth z77 carrying my i7 3770k @ 4.5 along with my 32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro series @ 2133, powered by my EVGA 670 FTW 2 can't cut 2.3, then agreed, the problem is on my side.

Fortunately XPlane 10 and all other games I have rock big time with my system, so I'm done with P3d (maybe P3d 3.0 in the future), done with messing around with cfg files, microstutters and popcorn autogen.

Back to flying like it was meant to be!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

What settings can I put in my cfg for in p3d for better performance

For v2.3...none...no user-add on entries need be made.  For v2.2...there are many combos, in the  cfg file..and in N.I.

"Well..I might get a 'you're naughty private post from AVSIM'..and will take that risk...when I reply, with v2.3 HDR as a discussion point....."...it sure as hell is!"   Ok..I'm ready, with my body padding on...lol.  

The flight from KFNT, to Mackinac Island in this version was breathtaking..and as it transitioned into night...the HDR blew...me...away!  Nothing blew me away in this regard with v2.2.  It was FSX on steroids.  P3D v2.3 is a new sim all on its own...

As a result, I will be removing FSX (redundant now...totally redundant...) as soon as all my paid-for ORBX candy has been given the 'tripple-install' wax and shine. When that happens, I shall retire FSX with all honors......it has done its job...and now can rest in peace....P3D v2.3 and beyond that in the franchise, will be the wind in my sails....  P3D...long live, the King.....

I do not reference weather injection...but the look of the sky and ground around you, as you fly...and being transformed in color tone, and hue in real time via HDR as objects interact and develop around you....it is the SKY...the atmospherics you are flying through that no other sim to date can now touch....nope!   Because of this...FSX is being retired. I just can't go back to firing it up...when I know what the same scene...the same X-Y would look like to fly and interact with...in P3D v2.3, fully raked out....all lighting effects enabled.  No...as of last night, I have no desire to fire up FSX, unless it is a scenery that has not been tripple- treated...(smile).  This suits me.  There are others that this scenario will not....and that is fine.

I can hear the music in the background. The curtains are slowly closing. The crowd, some cheering , some with tears, and some just stunned. FSX is being retired by yet another high flyer. We all will be in the same place one day, I promise. The end of an era is coming. So many to thank, so many to not thank. For all the helpers, the over the top doers, and even the naysayers who played an important role in the uphill battle for that perfect fluid flight. But it is now time to say goodbye and look to the future. A bright future. One filled with new tweaks, and the ever promising major releases, all the way to version 44.00. Good night my little winglets. Sleep tight and keep the blue side up.

Bob

It really makes me grin in how you can tell who the original poster is just by reading the title of the topic on the front page. ^_^   Never, ever change.

It's looking more and more like I can go back to P3Dv2.  Once the FTX Vector 1.2 release comes, I think I'll give it another spin.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Awesome... love it....

I could add:

ShoppingAvailability=0

IgnoreNag=1

Younevertalktome=100

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

"YouNeverTalkToMe

by Flight Stimulation Community

a 2090 page monologue from my wife

Anyone know what folder is her cfg file in?

That config file is a hidden file, is over 2.3 billion lines of text, and is locked under the administrator.

Note:

You =/ administrator

Ok, what I've found when installing a clean install of 2.3

-- Improved Framerates allow me to turn up the show distance a bit more. Still can't use vegetation or building shadows.

-- Scenery can be maxed except for autogen.

-- The HDR is a bit more vibrant, so SweetFX isn't require to make the sim look less bland.

-- Stutters are pretty much eliminated, though you can still see the "pumping" action if you look closely.

-- FXAA and MSAA work properly now and have better frame rates.

So in short, a nice improvement, but not super significant like some are saying in this thread. I get the feeling that this update opened a lot more support for a number of systems, and people are now seeing what P3D was meant to be.

Now I gotta see if NI actually reacts to P3D AA wise. It didn't last time (which was a known problem)