Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D v2.3 is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

I'm assuming not full screen - unless I've misunderstood?

Eugene

I have NEVER heard the term "windows surround" in the context of "full screen vs. windowed mode" or not full-screen as you put it. Could this be the "blackout desktop" checkbox feature offered by LM which allows for desktop access even though P3D is set to fullscreen? 

Sorry for the long question, but this caught my eye and I did not understand the context.

Bob

The hackers are on the loose!

Where?

I have NEVER heard the term "windows surround" in the context of "full screen vs. windowed mode" or not full-screen as you put it.

I think it's just a turn of phrase. The screen shots show P3D in windowed mode.

But I stand to be corrected...

Eugene

I think it's just a turn of phrase. The screen shots show P3D in windowed mode.

But I stand to be corrected...

Eugene

Yea, that was confusing because I know everything :wacko:

Thanks

Bob

"Well, the 'towel' was thrown by the sheer frustration of a patch that would not work, by the crashes incurred as I was loading up my layers of add-on's....you know the drill, right? Frankly, to get me to the hot-rod install I have now...took about 20 hours from the first download.

I also installed the patch without removing any folders as it was suggested elsewhere in this forum. However, I am inclined to do a complete re-install. The FPS seem to be a bit lower than 2.2. But I haven't simmed in 3 weeks and when I tested it yesterday, it was dusk with quite a few clouds, so I might be wrong. The sim runs fine and the lighting is absolutely fantastic with REX4, FTX Global and OPUS FSX.

Someone suggested to abandon the use of Nvidia Inspector in 2.3.

Does someone have a suggestion for graphics settings with i3770k @4.2, GTX 680 and 3 monitors?

I also installed the patch without removing any folders as it was suggested elsewhere in this forum. However, I am inclined to do a complete re-install. The FPS seem to be a bit lower than 2.2. But I haven't simmed in 3 weeks and when I tested it yesterday, it was dusk with quite a few clouds, so I might be wrong. The sim runs fine and the lighting is absolutely fantastic with REX4, FTX Global and OPUS FSX.

Someone suggested to abandon the use of Nvidia Inspector in 2.3.

Does someone have a suggestion for graphics settings with i3770k @4.2, GTX 680 and 3 monitors?

As far as abandoning NI, there was a post which in general was to use most of the graphics options within P3D, but also stated that you could use NI for minor enhancements. I do not remember what enhancements, but I believe things like "transparency AA" and some others. I am perfectly satisfied with not using it, but you may not be. Some AC panel instruments IMO need a little more AA but have not yet found a way to provide that and still be happy with the fluidity and other goodies and not willing to sacrifice those for the instrument enhancement. Tit for Tat I guess.

Bob

As far as abandoning NI, there was a post which in general was to use most of the graphics options within P3D, but also stated that you could use NI for minor enhancements. I do not remember what enhancements, but I believe things like "transparency AA" and some others. I am perfectly satisfied with not using it, but you may not be. Some AC panel instruments IMO need a little more AA but have not yet found a way to provide that and still be happy with the fluidity and other goodies and not willing to sacrifice those for the instrument enhancement. Tit for Tat I guess.

Bob

Bob...I have totally disassociated P3D v2.3 with N.I.   I find no need to have it.  I also cranked up my cloud settings as per REX 4 Direct manual recommendations.  I am still popping 28-32 FPS, and the clouds are  truly a heck of a lot more realistic with those recommended settings.   I have a little shimmering across the panel as the shadow plays out upon it...but certainly not enough of an irritant to add in any more outboard AA.  Great FPS, great animation....and all in all....so very satisfied with this version. 

A simple video from v2.3, I believe someone asked to see one?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I also am finding, that as the same with FSX...I am getting better FPS performance with my sliders for Graphics set to

Extremely Dense

Extremely Dense

Very Dense

I firmly believe that the graphics engine, in anything less than allowing the custom scenery to fully render out, is actually spending CPU time FILTERING out elements, rather than the user gaining CPU resources because of asking for a less than full scenery-to-screen output. When I dropped my sliders to NORMAL and then DENSE, I lost on average about 5 FPS across the board. By bringing back more scenery elements as per the above...I in fact GAINED those FPS.  So...this does lead me to believe that the best performance with ORBX Global, and other ORBX scenery, is to have it full-out, as they recommend....for there is then no scenery throttling, and the CPU has less need to 'ponder-render' the scenery as per throttling of the sliders requests. I saw this early on in FSX, and nothing to my view, has changed. You gain nothing by throttling the scenery rendering by lower than full-out sliders. The only reason that I have the third selection not as Extremely Dense, is it seems (to my mind) too busy...but Dense looks RW, to me.  Try the above settings for yourselves...and you will see better on-average FPS output, or at the worst, nary a loss, or totally minimal at best.  I think the sliders do not 'cut' out scenery elements to make the scene more simple to render...no...they are indeed filtering routines, that still cause the CPU to have to 'figure out' what to dummy down, from the full scenery packet as designed in, by such developers as ORBX, etc. I am getting better cloud rendering (and much more beautiful!!!) since I have totally adopted what the latest SP3 REX 4 Direct User Manual shows on their masks for Shadow and Clouds. I am now at Ultra from my former Medium..and am getting even BETTER FPS and (constants) performance than when I had it 'throttled back' with a slider setting of Medium.  I also had Clouds at 90 (as per ASN's default) but have also put that (as per REX recommendations) to 100 miles out.  The result?  Breathtaking realism.... If you don't like reading software manuals to the last page...the one thing that REX 4 Direct does not recommend is the full 110 miles out for the clouds settings...as they say this will CLIP cloud textures....so the max and recommended settings is 100 miles out to the horizon. 

So far...after my non-go patch, but PITA full-install required ( :mad: )  of v2.3...this has been nothing but one success after another.  I am a most satisfied version user!

Post Edit:  Just to be clear about FPS, I am NOT saying that you will stay at a higher or constant rate of FPS with my above recommendations...no...you will just like myself, fluctuate in your FPS (under Unlimited), but...but..you will get a much more and fat, lush scenery output with still hitting your high end of fluctuating FPS numbers as you fly. Better scenery to fly over...and better actual FPS performance for what YOU ARE NOW RENDERING as premium!

Ses 

Formidable insights Ses. I will try that tonight. i also just found out that REX had a new SP.

Thanks

I really dont like it

I hate it

Cause now I cant do my work, cant clean the room, cant go eat supper, cant go to bed... and the list goes on

The wife ran out screaming something about stupid f@ games 

wonder what that was about? its not a game its academic learning ! How dare she

:t4020:

maybe I can tweak the wife to be ok with it?

Anyone know what folder is her cfg file in?

LOL, know the feeling bud!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Formidable insights Ses. I will try that tonight. i also just found out that REX had a new SP.

Thanks

Yeppers..got that...and read the manual that came with it... :)

I saw that the sliders act as 'filters'...early on in FSX...and have always had my settings as you see them above.  The best performance ever, and of course the scenery as intended to be played out by the 3PD.  You'll find things in fact, smoother as well.  Whether locked at 30 FPS, or Unlimted...no matter...you will still see better all-around performance, as the scenery is being put out to the display as coded...and no longer through a slice-and-dice via the sliders/throttlers.  

Bob...I have totally disassociated P3D v2.3 with N.I.   I find no need to have it.  I also cranked up my cloud settings as per REX 4 Direct manual recommendations.  I am still popping 28-32 FPS, and the clouds are  truly a heck of a lot more realistic with those recommended settings.   I have a little shimmering across the panel as the shadow plays out upon it...but certainly not enough of an irritant to add in any more outboard AA.  Great FPS, great animation....and all in all....so very satisfied with this version. 

Now, the big question is can I keep my hands out of the cookie jar? My next thing is to improve the cloud textures. Not sure which way to go with that. I never did see much improvement with 2048 and above textures though. Many are complaining about the clouds and fps, but I think it may have to do with the weather engine(s) themselves. I could be wrong of course, just a thought. I may try 1st some freebee textures 1st before I attempt any purchases. 

Bob