Sign in to follow this  
charleslee201

Where is P3DV2.3 better than FSX Dx 10

Most of the ATC addons use the default text-to-speech program the computer is on.

To my knowledge only VoxATC uses text to speech... everybody else uses snippets.  I created a little app called Cleared 4 Takeoff for FLY! many years ago... so know all about recording phrases... it's not a lot of fun.

P3D/FSX already has a very robust ATC/AI system built right into the code.  Unfortunately, the functionality is broken and there is nothing in the SDK that allows anyone to fix it.

This is confusing, on one hand you are saying the default ATC/AI is good, but on the other had you are saying it's broken?  Which is it?

Anyway, what I'm coming away with in your comments is that you want LM to work on ATC/AI because there currently is no 3rd party developing any ATC products for P3D v2.x (althought I can't confirm this).

If so, I'm not aware of LM doing any additional work on ATC/AI to enhance it's features and/or any future plans to do any work on ATC/AI ... so your best option is to work existing FSX ATC/AI devs and get them motivated to work with LM and request whatever it is they need.  LM are open to suggestions so long as those suggestions are reasonably easy to implement, they will however NOT re-write the entire ATC/AI system anytime soon.

But bare in mind, the last thing any 3rd party ATC developer would want is an already working and robust ATC system ... certainly would NOT help 3rd party sales.

I try flying with the PMDG 747 I get about 5 fps at any airport add on with fs dreamteam....

Oh really the PMDG 747 ... that's interesting considering the PMDG 747 doesn't work in P3D v2.x, might explain your 5 fps ... unless of course you have a hacked version, but you may not want to advertise that ;)

and should offer refunds.

And they do offer refunds.  Next time I recommend you come a little more prepared ... or should I say prepar3d ... LOL.

Cheers, Rob.

If LM is able to make a P3D 64 bit ( no 4 Gb VAS limit ) with less cpu dependency and it will have SLI support then it will be THE Flightsimulator software...

I have tried every P3D version for a month, but each time I went back to my FSX DX10 setup ( I do have Steve's SF ) .

Why ? : my scenery looks finished after collecting scenery for 8 years.

All photoscenery for Europe with almost every addon airport and non-airport scenery there is. 438 library entries.

All worldwide addons over time uninstalled so only Europe.

I use it in my realsize 737-800 cockpit.

Imho P3D will never replace FSX because of the huge addon market for FSX and P3D not being 64 bit and still be very much cpu dependant , even it is less than FSX.

That will hold back many people who currently already owe FSX.

For newcomers that might be different.

I really hope that I proof to be wrong and P3D will be IT.

That 4 Gb VAS.....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I use the Airbus, I'll get 10-15 fps at most airports too... FSX I was floating between 25 to 35 fps with the PMDG 777 AT JFK! lol P3D is a joke so far, and should offer refunds.

They do. So long and thanks for all the fish.

This is confusing, on one hand you are saying the default ATC/AI is good, but on the other had you are saying it's broken?  Which is it?

C'mon Rob...you're an intelligent guy.  If your race car breaks down... it doesn't keep it from being a good race car... it just needs to be fixed.  Even 8 years later, FSX (actually FS9) ATC has a lot of potential, but with some major issues that likely have easy fixes. Of course what needs fixing in the Sim is not limited to ATC/AI... I'll just sit back and see how LM's strategy evolves.  Not saying I'll never migrate to P3D... just not now.

P3D sucks so far, in my honest oppinion. FSX ran smoother than P3D on any day of the week (I never thought I'd say that.)

P3D lags like insane making my computer seem like it's one of the original PC's ever made on DOS....... I try flying with the PMDG 747 I get about 5 fps at any airport add on with fs dreamteam....

I use the Airbus, I'll get 10-15 fps at most airports too... FSX I was floating between 25 to 35 fps with the PMDG 777 AT JFK! lol P3D is a joke so far, and should offer refunds.

I have a 5 year old computer...pumping out a smooth 30 in some very detailed scenery and add-ons...

Your solution:  Buy a new computer....to make P3D 'suck less'....(smile).

There are always going to be detractors. Those who it seems are almost insulted that there could possibly be anything better than FSX/DX10. Well, enjoy your experience. If that's what you feel is as close to perfection as is possible then nothing anyone says will convionce you otherwise. If you have P3D_V2.3 and are having problems with settings and low framerates and autogen that looks like rubbish, then it's your settings and not the sim. Nuff said.

On the r6025 error. . .I don't know what you've tried but here's what fixed it for me. I had been told to uncheck "Tesselation" by someone who was far more experienced than I. . .Don't do that. Leave that box checked, and if you have it unchecked right now and are getting that error, check it and see if that helps. Tesselation move the bulk of the texture loading to the GPU rather than the CPU, it's the biggest advancement as far as performance goes over earlier versions and FSX for sure. Just something to look at.

P3D sucks so far, in my honest oppinion. FSX ran smoother than P3D on any day of the week (I never thought I'd say that.)

P3D lags like insane making my computer seem like it's one of the original PC's ever made on DOS....... I try flying with the PMDG 747 I get about 5 fps at any airport add on with fs dreamteam....

Unless the migrator works? Troll post.

My main computer has the following specs:

CPU:  Intel i5 3550k @ 4.5gHz
HDD:  OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD
RAM:  16GB G.Skill 1833mHz 9-9-9-24
Vid:  ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Overclocked

I run barely any 3rd party scenery, but have updated AFCADs for the airports I fly to.

REX, ASN, Ground Services X, Utltimate Traffic 2 and a modified Default B737-800 are pretty much all I have in the way of addons.  I hate taking off at a photo-real airport that its good, getting over the edge of the photo-real section and it just looks BAD sometimes.  Or you take off from a so/so airport only to land at an airport from FSDreamTeam or Aerosoft or any other big brand where it's like you're there.  Worse is taking off from a splendid airport only to arrive at a barely more than default.  I'd rather have a more level environment all around, even if that means using barely more than stock airports.  AFCADs and default scenery library objects help keep the environment level for me.

That said, between FSX, I get roughly 20-40 FPS in KATL with UT2 at 60%/40% and FS traffic at 10%Airlines/10%GA.

The exact same airport in P3D v2.3, same AFCAD and weather, I will get 30-60 FPS, but many more things like cloud shadowing, a slightly more ambient color palette and a much more smooth performance.

FSX seems to have an issue where every 2-5 seconds, there is just a SLIGHT pause, but in P3D it's completely smooth sailing.  The water coloring is much more realistic than the bright blue or even dim blue oceans (XPlane has always been my favorite in this department, but only so far as the water coloring, the rest is average with FSX, differences balancing out).

I love FSX and how various tweaks such as Bojote's tweak site can help out (a fresh install of FSX, this is an absolute must step), but P3D is just a more smooth, higher-performance sim.

Recently, I've been mucking about with the default 737-800 in both sims and something I've come to find out is that in P3D, it requires about 20% thrust to rolling with about 8-10% to keep moving, but in FSX, its more like 10% and keep it at idle and you're screaming like a bat out of hell if you don't mind your speed.  P3D has some other refinements that I keep discovering that just give me that much more of a good experience.  Couple that with the graphical enhancements like higher-resolution texture capability built-in, the newer DX11 capabilities such as tesselation and offloading much of what was on the CPU off to the GPU where it belongs and P3D is just my choice hands down.

Addons will look great in either sim.  What gets me is what does the base sim provide versus the other base sim?  If the foundation is stronger, the building you can lay on top can be more extravagant.

I recall reading in some posts that overclocking the CPU and the GPU will not make any significant difference to performance in V2.3 or something along those lines. I thought I would check that out by returning my CPU and GPU totheir base clocks. I did a little test with the Cherokee at CYVR with the locked spot at the wing tip and ran it down the runway until it took off and got to about 200'. Only input rudder for steering. With my CPU at 4.6ghz and the GPU core and Vram up by 200mhz each the highest FPS I say was 32 and the lowest 23. With the base clocks the highest I say was 27 and lowest 15. Come to your own conclusions:-)

My overclocking is actually due to P3D being a recent (<6 months) investment and still using the same configuration.  I could probably go back to 3.8-4gHz and not notice the difference in P3D, but FSX needs all the CPU it can get, so I give it the beans.

I still use FSX in the fact that I am writing a suite of software that I may intend to distribute.  I'd like to keep it FSX compatible, so I have to use my FS PC to test it against.  I have to run my both FSX and P3D, so I keep the Overclock settings.

You're kidding right? You do realize P3D is being used in professional motion simulators that are FAA approved? And not just one or two here and there ... suggest you do some research.

That is worrying. I hope they're not teaching potential pilots using the default aircraft used in P3D. Maybe they're using it to teach drone pilots. That figures.

And why the continual hate on P3D, just because of your R6025 error that LM can't reproduce?

Not hate just irritated. It looks nice when it works. But for simulating the actual physics of flight I'll stick to FSX until they sort out the runtime errors and include the kind of aircraft we teach people to fly in. Educational tool? I think not just yet.

I'll stick with it as I don't want to waste the £34 I spent on it. Am sure eventually all the issues will be ironed out.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I hope they're not teaching potential pilots using the default aircraft used in P3D.

I don't think LM produced any of the default Aircraft included in P3D ... not even the F22 - that is produced by Iris Simulations.

P3D has been and is being used all over the world for Pilot training ... if you want a very accurate aircraft for P3D, I suggest the C172R from A2A ... that's the only one I have real world experience with and it's certainly close enough for "training" purposes.  But, there are many more very well done/accurate aircraft for P3D and FSX.

P3D is based on ESP, ESP is a variant of FSX SP2 - Microsoft Project manager Phil Taylor confirmed this ... so if you don't like the flight models in P3D then you will not like them in FSX either because they are the same.

Educational tool? I think not just yet.

Regardless of what you believe, the facts are, it's being used and has been used on many systems that are FAA approved.  This really isn't something that's "debatable" ... my local FBO has two motion simulators based on ESP - I've used them, even posted some pictures here of me in them.

But for simulating the actual physics of flight I'll stick to FSX until they sort out the runtime errors

I guess you are not understanding, if LM can't duplicate your runtime error, then can NOT fix it.  I've tried to help you before ... you had an SSD with <10GB free and your install temp path were pointing to that drive.  P3D is NOT the only product that installs using your temp dir path and/or package cache ... many many many other programs use these same dirs, key ones like Windows Update for example will use them so any .NET framework updates that show up in Windows Updates will attempt to install using the temp dir ... if they fail because of lack of disk space (your 10GB free) you could very well be left with a partial installation, a failed installtion of key components you need to make programs like P3D (and others) work.

Clearing up disk space AFTER the fact isn't going to correct any/all of your Windows updates that may have silently failed in the past.  Because FSX doesn't require .NET 4.x you don't get the error because it's not looking at a partial and/or failed .NET 4.x install/update.  Microsoft's .NET framework 4.x is updated almost every week and made available via Windows Updates.  Every time you update, you create restore points (this is a good thing), but restore points consume hard disk space, after a while they start to consume a lot of hard disk space.   

But hey, you can keep blaming LM until doomsday if that makes you feel better, but it's not going to solve YOUR problem.  Sadly, you'll need to get a larger SSD and re-install your OS to correct this problem.

I'm posting here to clear up inaccurate comments, P3D will sell itself, that I'm sure of.  Like I said, history repeats and threads like this are almost identical (to the letter) of the threads when folks moved from FS9 to FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

C'mon Rob...you're an intelligent guy.  If your race car breaks down... it doesn't keep it from being a good race car... it just needs to be fixed

Your analogy is a little off ... what you want is design/code modifications by LM ... what I do to my race car that expires engines every 20 hours is replace the broken parts with the same new parts.  In racing, engines are measured in hours and we expect failure after  XX hours.

I agree with you the default ATC/AI does have issues and that was inherited from pre-FS9 when Microsoft had 100's of resources working on it ... LM does not have 100's of resources working on P3D (they have more than I thought, but 100's no).  The fix for ATC/AI isn't going to come from LM ... they may make adjustments to give more control to SDK but it will be for the benefit of 3rd party, and frankly I agree with that process, 3rd party is where you want ATC/AI to be.

Cheers, Rob.

P.S. I sold my race car last week :( ... my focus is now on PPL and then hopefully a small used single engine prop.  I keep my sig for sentimental values ... but hey, now that I'm not racing I can afford to buy PC hardware so it's all good.