Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Beware the Knee Defender

Why should I be uncomfortable so the passenger behind be can be comfortable?

So, you don't mind when the person ahead of you reclines his/her seat fully, right?

Why should I be uncomfortable so the passenger behind be can be comfortable?

That's about as self-centered as you can be.

I live on an island nation where it is 8 to 14 hour flights to go anywhere and yes seats recline for a reason. Typically the first hour they do a dinner service then they put the cabin lights out and people sleep, then the last hour they do a breakfast service. So obviously don't recline in the first or last hour during food service. Rest of the flight recline and sleep or watch a movie or whatever. This is very typical of Pacific Service and I have never heard of this being an issue before.

So recently there was 4 people out of the millions that fly every week that lost their cool over reclined seats. Seems to me that this is the one in a million that shouldn't be flying anyways.

You sound like the one in a million that shouldn't be flying either.   :rolleyes:

I understand on a long flight, but in the U.S. the airlines keep cramming more seats into the cabin. This is what is causing the angst here. I only fly when it is absolutely necessary. It is just not fun anymore.

That's about as self-centered as you can be.

I understand on a long flight, but in the U.S. the airlines keep cramming more seats into the cabin. This is what is causing the angst here. I only fly when it is absolutely necessary. It is just not fun anymore.

*Sighs*

Pan-Am-Airplane-B377-Travelling-in-the-6

A BA flight attendant ionterviewed on BBC radio this morning said that there was really no need to go as far as buying this Knee Defender. She said a bottle of water placed in the pocket was just as effective a stopper.

@ytxpilot, you are bang on the mark because everything happens on those long-haul flights as you describe during all my long-haul flights.

EDIT: forgot to mention that that same BA FA made a point of how airlines were trying to cram every available spare inch

It'd be interesting to see seat spacings now vs seat spacings 25 years ago.

It'd be interesting to see seat spacings now vs seat spacings 25 years ago.

In the early 60's- (oh my- that's 50+ years ago!) I flew frequently on Air Canada-  DC8s. (At that time if I recall, it was called Trans Canada Airlines- TCA).

Economy seating was 3 abreast with legroom for a 6 footer to easily cross one's legs. With any luck on an AM flight to the west coast, there would be no seatmates- so stretch out over all 3 upholstered seats for a morning snooze !!! 

The Stewardess (now Flight Attendant) seeing your "discomfort", would usually bring you a soft pillow and a blanket !!!

In that era, if you flew Canadian Pacific Airlines - Toronto-Vancouver, you could return via Mexico City- including stopover there- for no extra charge !!!!

It truly was the golden age of air travel - sad to see how the standard has descended into near cattle trade.

january

Quite frankly, if I end up with a knee defender attached to my seat, I sure hope they don't need the toilet in flight as I'm taking their seat at the first available opportunity.

And no, I don't mind one bit if the person in front spends the entire flight reclined.

We have done fine for the past 30/40 years with reclining seats. Ok the distance between your knees and the backside of the seat in front might have decreased a bit but its still not bad. I am roughly 6/3 in height and my knees do get quite sore when the seat in front is in the upright position on some airlines, but it doesn't bother me to the point where I want to riot about it and divert an aircraft, I just deal with it. I read that today or the other day another aircraft bound for Boston was diverted because some idiots decided to take action against their "uncomfortable" seating experience, its just a bit of an over the top reaction to such a small problem. 

I'm 6'2 and I just spread my knees open when the seat in front of me is a bother or I just angle my legs to either side. I'm used to not having room now.

In the early 60's- (oh my- that's 50+ years ago!) I flew frequently on Air Canada-  DC8s. (At that time if I recall, it was called Trans Canada Airlines- TCA).

Economy seating was 3 abreast with legroom for a 6 footer to easily cross one's legs. With any luck on an AM flight to the west coast, there would be no seatmates- so stretch out over all 3 upholstered seats for a morning snooze !!! 

The Stewardess (now Flight Attendant) seeing your "discomfort", would usually bring you a soft pillow and a blanket !!!

In that era, if you flew Canadian Pacific Airlines - Toronto-Vancouver, you could return via Mexico City- including stopover there- for no extra charge !!!!

It truly was the golden age of air travel - sad to see how the standard has descended into near cattle trade.

january

What a look back into those halcyon days. And how true alll you have said. I remember them well, not on Air Canada but BOAC as it was called then. And until 15 years ago, it was so with Singapore to Australia too. Alas, those days are now history.

Further to previous comments on airplane seating, it's worthy of note that Airbus recently filed for a patent on bicycle style seating for airplanes.

Awfully close to standing room only !!!! See the attached clip.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/07/15/airbus-files-patent-for-bicycle-style-seating-on-airplanes/

january

These seats are unsafe, how will you brace against the seat in front of you when the plane crashes?

These seats are unsafe, how will you brace against the seat in front of you when the plane crashes?

Plus - you'd hate to have a pickpocket behind you.....

The seats go forward regardless if they are reclined, you can push them forward. The reclined position isn't what is dangerous it is the metal bar at the bottom that causes the majority of fractures on impact on your shins which leaves an injury not fatal but your inability to evacuate the aircraft if it fills with smoke or fire. This is a well known flaw in the seat design.

Recent Asiana Flight had a higher number of spinal fractures due to the way that aircraft came down hard. People were pushed into their seats causing lower back fractures. You look at the seats after that accident and they are all over the place. 

Matthew Kane

Perhaps because then you would be taking the high road and acting as a true gentleman?

Why shouldn't the person in the seat behind act as a true gentleman?

Last year i flew on a long-haul overnight flight from Vancouver to London. After supper the cabin crew dimmed the lights for us to rest. Two elderly women behind me decided to chat in loud voices and then compained because I wanted to recline to seat, like about 90% of the other passengers. When they began shaking my seat,I called called a member of the cabin in order to stop them and get some sleep.  Would you have been a "gentleman" and put up with their behaviour?

Incidentally in Europe, where I do most of my flying, EasyJjet's seat don't recline so there is no problem.