Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Beware the Knee Defender

What would your reaction be if they said "No" on a very long-haul flight?

Then, rather having me all stressed-up for the remainder of the flight and the passenger behind me on the prod, I'd just say to myself 'Is the  hassle worth it seeing that I'll only be on this flight for another x hours?', and try and utilise my space to see if I could nod off.

As a 6 footer, on an Air Canada 767 flight from Honolulu, the seating was so uncomfortable, I seriously debated sitting in the can for a half hour.

instead I walked the aisles for extended periods.

No wonder air rage is a problem these days.

january

Then, rather having me all stressed-up for the remainder of the flight and the passenger behind me on the prod, I'd just say to myself 'Is the  hassle worth it seeing that I'll only be on this flight for another x hours?', and try and utilise my space to see if I could nod off.

Think that is why I just won't ask. I will slowly recline to whatever stoppage I can get. My lower back can not survive  being fully erect for hours on end. 

Lose the knee defender and buy a liberator! (and I ain't talking about a B-24)   :lol:

As a 6 footer, on an Air Canada 767 flight from Honolulu, the seating was so uncomfortable, I seriously debated sitting in the can for a half hour.

instead I walked the aisles for extended periods.

No wonder air rage is a problem these days.

january

That is why I sympathise with passengers of a bigger frame or with back problems. Surely with all the brains in the aviation industry, there must be some bright sparks who can accommodate taller pax like yourself. If as I have seen in the USA when travelling by bus, locally in Vegas, they can run bus services that accommodate prams, wheelchairs, bikes, surely it is not beyond the airline powers-to-be to be as accommodating towards their taller or back-issue passengers on long-hauls. I'm sure that taller pax, etc would gladly pay a small premium for more seat pitch.

Not sure why the women was thrown off the plane?!

REALLY? throwing water in my face is akin to assault, I would have reacted to that in a not so nice way.

If an arrogant passenger gave me that,i'd immediatelly raise the matter with the cabin crew and ask for knee defender to be removed. I know of no airline that allows them.

You are just as arrogant to expect them to lose their comfort or even be in discomfort so you can recline.

My last flight was a ton of fun when the lady (<- use that term loosely) in front of me reclined right onto my knees and she could care less when I made it clear she was hitting my knees, so i did everything I could to make her uncomfortable, banging on the seat, tapping on it, making noise, etc. She finally got the point after 15 or so minutes and raised it a bit so as not to hit my knees.. We shared a few choice words on the way out also, it was a blast, LOL.

I don't care how much a person pays and for what, if the form doesn't fit the function, to bad.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Oddly enough, there was a discussion about this on the main BBC Radio Night News tonight with a travel writer. He was relating about a contretemps that broke out with a Spanish woman passenger when he tried to re-arrange her rather large-sized overhead locker carry-on case to make room for his, and she apparently took umbrage and threw his case down. After the cabin crew had intervened and resolved it, he gave as good as he got by steadfastly pushing against the back of her seat thus preventing her from reclining her seat.

And he made a valid point that some of the carry-on case sizes allowed these days is almost akin to hold luggage sizes.

And he made a valid point that some of the carry-on case sizes allowed these days is almost akin to hold luggage sizes.

These days? Stupid large carry-ons that are allowed on planes have been an issue for the last 15 years.

Not sure why the women was thrown off the plane?!

REALLY? throwing water in my face is akin to assault

Yes quite, her seat had been tampered with by an idiot, and so in unusual circumstances she found herself moved to do something stupid. We have no idea of personal circumstances which could lead to her short temper, e.g. on the way back from fathers funeral etc. The seat tampering came first, seems unfair but rules are rules and off she goes too. Yet the aircraft seating was made to be adjustable, and so the airline is also more to blame than the woman.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You are just as arrogant to expect them to lose their comfort or even be in discomfort so you can recline.

Why should I be uncomfortable so the passenger behind be can be comfortable?

Just a couple of days ago on BA a good proportion of the trolleys brought on board as hand luggage were oversize. BA allows you the full 23kgs as hand luggage but they should be a little stricter on container size!

I never understood why people can't be bothered to turn around and ask this very little, very simple question...

"Excuse me, do you mind if I recline my seat a bit? If it hinders you, please do tell me."

Every SINGLE time I've asked this question, the answer was a smiling "Go ahead."

People's reactions are based a lot more on how you say/ do things, than what the actual message is.

Got it in one! It's the sense of entitlement that most people carry around with them.

Even if you payed for your seat, so did everyone else - so you need to arrange yourself so everyone gets the most out of their flight comfort.

Perhaps because then you would be taking the high road and acting as a true gentleman?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I live on an island nation where it is 8 to 14 hour flights to go anywhere and yes seats recline for a reason. Typically the first hour they do a dinner service then they put the cabin lights out and people sleep, then the last hour they do a breakfast service. So obviously don't recline in the first or last hour during food service. Rest of the flight recline and sleep or watch a movie or whatever. This is very typical of Pacific Service and I have never heard of this being an issue before.

So recently there was 4 people out of the millions that fly every week that lost their cool over reclined seats. Seems to me that this is the one in a million that shouldn't be flying anyways.

You sound like the one in a million that shouldn't be flying either.   :rolleyes:

Matthew Kane